GAC at Tokyo Disney?

neonstarlight

Earning My Ears
Hi! I was wondering about the requirements for getting a Guest Assistance Card at Tokyo Disney. The website (http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/bfree/supporttool.html) says that you need to have some kind of "certification" - in the states, they aren't allowed to ask you for any sort of proof. My partner and I are planning a trip this fall, but they are autistic and I'm ADHD/have panic attacks and I think the trip would go a lot more smoothly and meltdown-free for both of us if we could get the card to avoid having to wait in very long lines. Has anyone here gotten one? Can you tell me more about the procedure? Did you have to show proof? What kind of proof?

Reading about it on the website is making me anxious and they only have a phone number to call, no support email or anything.

Thank you so much for any insight!!!!

The parks in the us cannot ask for proof of disability because us law prohibits it. Outside the us all bets are off. You may be able to ask on the Tokyo Disney board if anyone knows what the certificate is. It could be something as simple as a letter from your doctor verifying your condition(s). If not I would find the time to call. It may save a lot of stress in the end

As PP mentions, the U.S. must adhere to ADA regulations which prevent the requirement of providing "proof" of disability. As such, there also is no national registry or certificate of disability -- which is something many other countries do have. I would think a letter from your medical provider would be adequate, though you may want to contact Tokyo Disney to find out what that letter should include (diagnosis, requested accommodations, etc.).

I didn't see on the Tokyo Disney website that a letter is required to obtain a GAC. It does state GAC is available to those with a certificate as well as "those with other disabilities (including elderly persons and pregnant women) resulting from injury or other medical conditions." There is a phone number to call to reserve your GAC up to one month in advance. I'd suggest starting with that to get information about what documentation may be required. http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/bfree/supporttool.html

And here is a link to the Toyko Disneyland forum: https://www.disboards.com/forums/tokyo-disneyland.178/

Enjoy your vacation!

Japan treats their disabled differently and the burden of proof is MUCH higher and on the guest. I can easily get an Handicapped placard in the US/. I would not qualify for one in Japan. it is for far more than just a good parking spot in Japan. it actually provides many extra benefits and accommodations, which is why a lot of criteria must be met before one is issued.

Spectrum and other mental illness do not actually meet all the criteria. ( or at least they didn't ten years ago when I lived there) Tokyo Disney and Disney area are also EXTREMELY crowded all day every day year round. they think nothing of coming to the parks after lunch. or for lunch for that matter. 2-3 hour waits are common for the big rides. and they all do it..patiently. ( its the culture)

since they do not issue certificates for those issues you may find it quite difficult to get them to understand why you want a GAC.

if you will be in Tokyo and want to enjoy yourself in a much less crowded environment, do Ueno Park. very few lines in the Zoo or any of the Museums. ( I am partial to Western Art, myself; the Rodin Sculpture garden is breathtaking)

While it's been three years since we visited, I had no problem getting a GAC for my daughter with sensory processing issues. We did not have a letter from her doctor, but did write a letter of our own describing her issues and had it translated into Japanese. They were extremely accommodating.

While it's been three years since we visited, I had no problem getting a GAC for my daughter with sensory processing issues. We did not have a letter from her doctor, but did write a letter of our own describing her issues and had it translated into Japanese. They were extremely accommodating.

Thank you! We'll give it a try!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter