GAC at DL update

cupcake

Mouseketeer
I got a response to my e-mail asking about GACs (or whatever they wish to call them) at DL. I specifically asked them about the availability of a sun sensitivity GAC and got the following form letter. I am reassured, it looks like they will be able to meet my needs. It seems clear that the CMs working at guest services know that there are accommodations other than simply telling people to use a wc. So I'm not worrying about the DL person who told me on the phone (main info #) that the only accommodation they provide is the ability to use a wc.

:wave: Cupcake

Thank you for your e-mail to the Disneyland Resort.

We are very pleased that you and your family will be vacationing with us and we appreciate your desire to make your visit as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

As you may know, the Disneyland Resort strives to provide mainstream access whenever possible, that is, all Guests use the same entrance and queues. Information regarding specific attraction entrance procedures can be found in the "Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities" available in each of the Theme Parks, or by visiting our web site at www.disneyland.com. Some attractions have alternative entrances for Guests with disabilities. These are intended to offer Guests using wheelchairs, or with service animals, a more convenient entrance to the attraction. Alternative entrances are not intended to bypass waiting lines.

You may wish to stop by Guest Relations or City Hall upon your arrival to obtain more information about our services for Guests with disabilities. There is a service option that has been created specifically for the benefit of Guests who, for various reasons, may require special assistance. City Hall can issue a Guest Assistance Card for Guests with a non-apparent special assistance need. Depending on a Guest's particular need, this card will alert our Cast Members to provide special assistance such as allowing Guests admission to attractions through alternative entrances, where applicable. This card can be issued upon your arrival to Disneyland park, but cannot be arranged in
advance. We would like to clarify, however, the intention of this service has never been to bypass attraction wait times. To accommodate individual needs, Guests are asked to discuss their assistance requests with a City Hall Cast Member prior to the card being issued. Proof of disability is not required.

In addition, some Guests may be concerned that they do not have the stamina to wait in our queues. We strongly suggest these Guests consider using a wheelchair or Electric Convenience Vehicle, as the distance between our attractions is much greater than the length of our queues.

Again, Cynthia, thank you for taking the time to write. We hope you will have the opportunity to visit the Disneyland Resort soon and trust your visit will be pleasant in all regards.

Sincerely,
[name]
Disneyland Resort
Guest Communications

Thank you for the update and clarification. IMO they just wanted to make it more difficult for people who were abusing the system. I have been to WDW many times and have seen groups of teenagers taking turns in their rented WC to by pass the lines.

Thanks for the information. It confirms what I have read in other places. From the information I have, Disleyland got rid of their Special Assistance Pass (the "PASS" word was an invitation to abuse in my mind) and replaced it with a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) similar to what it is in use at WDW.

The differences are not just a name, but a totally philosophy and way of doing things. The SAP was a "one -size-fits-all" approach, where everyone got the same level of assistance, no matter what their needs. It was somewhat based on diagnosis, where if you had Cerebral Palsy, for example, you got a SAP. The GAC is based on needs, with the needs determining what type/level of assistance is offered. So 2 people with the same diagnosis might not have the same needs and would probably get GACs with different messages.

From what I have read, the DL SAP provided access to sort of an alternate queueing area for people with disabilities/SAPs. So someone at DL with a child with autism got basically the same as someone in a wheelchair with only mobility needs, who got the same as someone on medication that made them sun sensitve. If the park was not busy, it might allow quick access to the attractions. At times, it might provide an even longer wait than the regular line (there were pictures and stories posted on the internet that showed SAP lines being many times longer than the regular line for that attraction). This access met people's needs poorly.

I'm not surprised that they don't give out information on the phone. The phone person may not even know. The email they sent you sounds pretty much like what WDW does with special needs. They don't give out a lot of specific information or promises ahead of time because what assistance you get will be based on what needs you have when you get there.
I'm sure when you get there that you will be able to get the assistance you need. Let us know how things turn out.

We are leaving next Wednesday night. Whoo-hoo!

I actually went to DL for a few days about 4 years ago & used a manual wc w/ no special assistance pass. We had planned on asking for one for sun sensitivity if the lines were sunny but it was fine so we didn't. I recall that it was much like MK many years ago. Most of the rides were not hc accessible and had alternate entrances which I used w/o problem. No one ever asked me for a pass, and the wait was about what it would be at the MK. I don't recall seeing non-wc users using the alternate entrances, although clearly I wasn't seeing a representative example of hc access users given what I have read. I would not worry about the GAC at all now and just use the wc (actually and ECV this time) for access as I always do except that I am concerned about sunniness at California Adventure based on reading guidebooks, plus it is a sunnier time of year than when we usually go so I want to minimize the sun that I can.

I will report back when we return!! If there's anything that anyone wants me to keep an eye out for, please let me know!

:wave: Cupcake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter