FW Trip Reports!

..... I am sure tent camping at FW would have been better in cooler, less humid months, but I will never know because of my promise to my family to never camp in Florida again. ;)

:sad: I have camped all my life, in fact my first camping trip I was less than 6 months old, and it hasn't always been a great experience. There have been some really bad trips. I tell you this because it's sad that after just 1 trip you won't camp in Florida again. Your family just needs to pick themselves up, dust off and try it again in a different season. I hope you will give it another try.

Finally got my Photopass CD in the mail, so I thought I would post some pics and a report!
We arrived a little after 6 and raced through check-in, dumped our bags at the cabin and headed for the campfire. We missed a lot of the singalong, but arrived right on time for a hug from Chip (or Dale? IDK, all chipmunks look alike to me).
IMG_8472-1.jpg

IMG_8473-1.jpg

IMG_8475-1.jpg

We were glad we caught the end of it, it always helps us get into the spirit! We stayed and watched a bit of the short before the movie, then back to the cabin to unpack and get a good night's sleep. We only waited until 10:30 for our luggage. "Magical" Express... :rolleyes1

Wednesday, Dec 16th - Magic Kingdom Day!
First Boat Ride of the Trip!
IMG_8477-1.jpg

My son, Jonathan, looks ready, doesn't he? He was just a bit excited.
IMG_8480-1.jpg

This is my middle child, Penny. They are all characters.
IMG_8484-1.jpg

Rope Drop!
Based on the tour guide crowd calendars, Weds was supposed to be an 8. So I pushed the crew to hit rides early and often. We rode everything the kids wanted to ride, twice. No crowds. It was a great morning.
We decided to head back to the Fort for lunch. Walked out of the castle and down to the hub, and what do we see coming down the street?
IMG_8510.jpg

We stumbled into the best seats I've ever had for a parade - the Street Party or whatever they call it. It was fun!
Where is my Super Suit?
IMG_8519-1.jpg

Love some Fro-Zone.

We had lunch at Trails End, fell on a load of fried chicken like a pack of starving wolves. Our waiter was very nice (Donnell?) and ran after us out of the restaurant because he forgot to give the kids stickers. I love the Trail's End. That was our only time eating there this trip, not by design, just the way it worked out.
After a nice nap and some playground fun, we went back to the park for an ADR we had at the Plaza. I liked it. Not enough to go back, necessarily, but it was pretty good food. Watched the castle light up for Christmas (AMAZING), then rode a few more kiddie rides. They didn't want to watch Spectro (we saw it in February, and I wanted to see it again. But I am only one lonely voice in the wilderness...).
We were leaving when Wishes started at 8. My girls are afraid of fireworks, so we were just making our way out as they were going on. We walked past a photopass guy just begging for someone to let him take pics. Who am I to disappoint? I'm so glad we stopped - he took some great shots of the fireworks! (next post)

The Photopass guy took about 10 fireworks shots for us - and there are some great shots of the fireworks. I couldn't believe nobody else was waiting to have their pics taken.
Image0010.jpg

What a great, fun day. The touring plan number was totally wrong, btw. I would give it no more than a 5 or 6.

But we needed to be in bed! There was more fun to be had, more rides to be run!

My only other experience at Epcot, I was at WDW for a conference. We came into the park, at dinner at Coral Reef, and left. How sad for me. I had no idea. I LOVED Epcot. I want to get a little flat over in the UK Pavillion, so I can live there 6 months out of the year. Are you kidding me with this place? Espresso stand every 10 feet, with a wine and beer stand in between? How do they get people to leave here at the end of the night?!

But I get ahead of myself. First. We photopass. :lmao:

Image0014.jpg

We rode Nemo, and the kids loved exploring the whole Seas pavillion. Fishy bunch. Then we went to Innoventions. We are lucky, in a way, that they are too small (or too scared) to ride the "big" rides. It saves us a lot of time waiting in line, lol.
Then my husband had to take big Jon back to the cabin for a nap, and the girls and I had to gear up for a Princess Lunch! And so begins, the tale of 2 afternoons. :laughing:

The girls began the afternoon with an espresso (okay, that was for me) and charm bracelets for the little ones. We hit the WS and went on the boatride in Mexico, then listened to a mariachi band for a few minutes. What a lovely, relaxing day this was turning out to be!

The boys left the park and waited for the bus. And they waited. And they waited. The boys were sad. And hungry. And the 2yo boy was getting tired, and cranky.

The girls moved on to Norway and lunch at Akerhaus.
IMG_8561.jpg

First we met Belle. That was a professional photo I have to scan in, but you guys know what Belle looks like, right? :cutie:
Then we went to our table and the big question was - is it a Cinderella day? She's not always there and the girls were on the edge of their seats. I hadn't been able to get ressies at Park Fare or CRT, so this was really our only shot at seeing her outside of a random character meeting.
Aurora was first. (So, it's not just me, right? This woman looks a bit freaky?)
IMG_8567.jpg

And then... Could it be?

IMG_8568.jpg

It is! It's her!

IMG_8572.jpg

We had a break in the Princess action at the point so we enjoyed some smoked salmon, muenster cheese, salami, and roasted asparagus from the cold bar. I had a sassy little glass of chardonnay, and the girls tell me their lemonade was as fine a Norwegian Lemonade as they had ever tasted. I took the servers advice and ordered the Venison Sausage over White Beans for my entree.

My husband and son, in the meantime, finally caught the bus. Jon fell asleep in his arms and Chris said the dead weight put his arm and shoulder to sleep as they rode first to the WL, and then to FW. He got to the cabin and put the boy to bed, then made himself a fried egg sandwich.

My venison sausage complimented the wine nicely. :cloud9: We continued to hit the princess jackpot. Snow White spent so much time at our table I had to ask her to leave. I don't know how more people don't get tired of seeing her all the time. (cough) And then just before dessert we saw Ariel.
Dessert was a huge tray of fatty goodness that made me wish I had an extra stomach.

My husband had to login to the office. And do work.

We explored the world, the girls made masks and did Kim Possible stuff. It rained a few times but nothing to complain about. I restrained myself from drinking my way around the world (which was NOT easy). Penny made it to Japan before crashing to sleep in the stroller.

We had a dinner package reservation for the Candlelight Processional. The boys rejoined the "fun side" of the trip for dinner and the CP. Our meal was at Morocco. I will say little about the Marakesh. It was a below average meal. I love Indian and Turkish food. I love spicy food. I never met a lamb I didn't like. But their stuff was just sub par. And the kids meals arrived well below edible temperature. Good thing we were in Epcot, where a replacement meal is only a country away!

The CP was amazing, and I cried through a lot of it. Abigail Breslin sounded a lot like Linus, so it was sort of Disney's version of a Charlie Brown Christmas with incredible music. It was sweet, and perfect in every way.

We strolled around afterwards enjoying the park.
Image0019.jpg

And I could hardly say no to a black and tan, could I? I mean, that would be just rude. :cool2:
We didn't stay for Illuminations. After forcing the issue with Wishes the night before, we didn't think it was right to ask our girls to do that. Next time.

My children are allergic to sleeping in, so we made it to rope drop at MK on Friday again. It rained off and on all day, but it was still warm enough to not be too bothersome. We again headed to Fantasyland. Then Toon Town, where my girls fell in love with the Barnstormer and rode it about 12 times each. And the loved the playground -
IMG_8616.jpg

I finally put my foot down about not even walking into Frontierland yet! Our second day in the park! Almost lunchtime! And I haven't so much as seen it!
We hopped on the train and took it around. We again got lucky with our timing and caught the Princess and the Frog Riverboat show as we were getting off the train. After lunch at the Pirate place, we hit the Jungle Cruise.
A classic, and one of my favorite rides.
IMG_8630.jpg

It was so amazing, my son went to sleep. We tossed him into the stroller and decided just to stay in the park. Hmm. We're a bit hungry. What do you do in Adventureland when you're hungry? Dole Whip? Dole Whip? Dole Whip? Three Dole Whips! And yes, the red and green coloring threw me off a bit. But I closed my eyes and got through it like a champ.

We did a few more things, went to Tomorrowland for the laugh floor, then we decided to get out of dodge. It was the last night for MVMCP, so we knew it would just get more and more crowded after 4pm. We went back to the Fort for dinner in the cabin and some swimming. That's right, it was actually warm enough to swim that night. The girls and DH went to the movie afterwards (TINKERBELL!!!!) and I took my very tired pup back to the cabin. He did not go quietly. :scared1:

SATURDAY, Dec 19th
We were really supposed to sleep in. But didn't.
We did Forty things in the morning, petting zoo and playgrounds, then went to Ohana for brunch. We love Ohana and it did not disappoint this trip. The big mouse gave me a kiss on the cheek which had my son yelling, "MICKEY KISSED MOMMY!" for the rest of the trip...
IMG_8641.jpg

As we left Ohana and got back on the monorail, we could see HORDES of people pouring into the MK. The kids wanted more FW, and that sounded great to us. We got right back on the boat and went back to the Fort.

When the two little ones crashed for a nap, I kidnapped our oldest and forced her to go to DHS with me. We spent our quality one on one time shopping and accosting Photopass photographers.
Image0027.jpg

Image0024.jpg

Since it was late afternoon, all the FPs for TSM were gone. We enjoyed seeing everything, and I had a nice capuccino from the writers corner. My husband and the little ones joined us in time for the last Playhouse Disney show of the day, which they all loved. Then we walked over to see the Cars cars, had pizza for dinner and went to see the Osborne Lights.

I am glad we saw the lights, happy to check that off the list. It was amazing. But honestly, too crowded for me. maybe if we'd come earlier in the trip, but IDK. It was a non-Fantasmic night I think, so you would think it wouldn't be so packed. Whatever the reason, it was wall to wall people.

Image0031.jpg

We were back at MK on Sunday, again at Rope Drop. We decided, since the Magic Carpets had been closed the first part of our trip, that we would go straight there to ride them. After a few times, I took DS and we went on Pirates. He enjoyed it, so DH and I switched off and he took him on it again. The girls, of course, would not go near it. We went back up to Fantasyland for more Small World... And then it was my turn to take the boy back to the cabin for nap time.
The girls and DH hit the shows again - they loved the Riverboat show, and the Dream along show in the Castle Forecourt.
I brought DS back over for the Christmas Parade. We hadn't seen it yet (they only do it during the parties, but the last party was on Friday so they opened it up during the day after that). It's my favorite of all the Disney parades I've ever seen. I don't have pics because we took a video. It's a great parade. The soldiers are my favorite.
We left the kingdom and went to look at some Christmas Decorations at the GF and WL. Beautiful!
Then we did the campfire again (our last night! :sad1:)
The morning of Monday the 21st, we decided since we'd seen the MK pretty thoroughly, we'd go see Animal Kingdom on our last day.
This was the kind of last minute decision I hate making. I didn't know anything about AK. We had to do all our check out stuff, so I took some pics of the lobby.
IMG_8676.jpg

It's not the chairs outside Crocketts, but they made the best of it.
IMG_8677.jpg

Needless to say, after checkout, we didn't make RD. We went and rode the safari ride, then took the train out to Rafiki. Not too exciting. Petting goats isn't exactly what you want to do in Disneyworld when you live in farm country... AK was beautiful, but hard to move around in the crowds.
We were about to declare it a total bust, then decided to go see what Camp Mickey was all about.
To my shock, it was almost empty. And look who we found!
IMG_8728.jpg

We had not been able to meet Minnie this trip or the Feb trip, and the girls were SO excited to see her. The lines were so short we visited goofy -
IMG_8733.jpg

Now, I'm not *that* short. This Goofy was about 7 feet tall!
We also met Donald and Mickey again. Had time for some shopping, then back to FW. We took the kids back to the playground to kill some time. Then the Not-so-Magical Express was a total no show. They stranded about 20 people. We were "lucky" that our flight was delayed 3 hours, else we would have missed it. We did hit the Airtran jackpot - they messed up their crew assignments so badly we all got FREE roundtrip tickets anywhere they fly.
Of course, I'm hoping this means we'll be seeing the fort at Halloween. :woohoo: But we'll see!
Thanks to everyone here for all the help. When you didn't even know you were helping me! You guys have been a great resource. If we come at Halloween, we are going to look into renting an RV so we can be in the actual campground. We might have room to toss a few grandparents into the mix if we do that, which is always a good thing.

Great TR Indimom, brings back fond memories of our early days when the kids were younger. It was the addition of the 3rd child that led us to go back to camping vacations, with most hotels having a 4 person limit. I am so glad that happened, because of the adventures we've had that way and the people we've met. Sounds like you've caught the Fort bug!

Really enjoyed your TR, thanks for sharing with us! Here's hoping you make it back for Halloween!!

Great TR. You have to make it halloween the kids have a blast, I guess us adults do also. This year there is a big party at my site on the 30th, everyone needs to come.

Great report! Thanks for sharing. If it wasn't for folks like you giving us a "Fort Fix", the time just wouldn't go by fast enough!

You're welcome, everyone! We had a great time and have definitely caught the FW bug. If we don't make it back for Halloween, we will almost certainly go back in early Dec. The kids were spinning around in the kitchen yesterday, pretending to ride the teacups. I tell them I'm ready to go back, they just have to work their kiddie magic on their Dad!

Hey guys - in case anyone needs any bedtime reading, I've started my TR from our trip to the fort this week. Since we were both in a cabin and in a trailer, we should be able to consider ourselves "real campers". ;) If you're interested, the link is the last in my signature.

Leslie

We are heading to FW with my parents and kids in July. I really enjoyed reading your trip report! Thanks!:goodvibes

We took a short trip to the Fort 6/18 -6/21 and had a great time. We did not do any parks but this time of year we don't miss them when the temp, is 95+.I did find a new must do every time and that is Delish New York Bakery in Dr.Phillips Next to Whole Foods. I got up early Saturday morning and went over to git some hot bagels. When I got back to the camper my wife was up and we helped our selves to a warm fresh bagel. After two bites my wife was hooked and made me hide the rest from our kids! Yep! they were that good!. We will be back in November and I cant wate to have those hot fresh bagels!

We took a short trip to the Fort 6/18 -6/21 and had a great time. We did not do any parks but this time of year we don't miss them when the temp, is 95+.I did find a new must do every time and that is Delish New York Bakery in Dr.Phillips Next to Whole Foods. I got up early Saturday morning and went over to git some hot bagels. When I got back to the camper my wife was up and we helped our selves to a warm fresh bagel. After two bites my wife was hooked and made me hide the rest from our kids! Yep! they were that good!. We will be back in November and I cant wate to have those hot fresh bagels!

Where is this bagel place? I will travel from the Fort at an ungodly early hour to get a good bagel!

We just got back from our first time visit to FW. We arrived on Saturday the 19th and left on Sunday the 27th so a full 8 days at the fort.

We loved it. FW is just photo picture perfect. A very beautiful campground. We stayed at site 1407, and I would highly recommend the 1400 loop. It seems to be a little higher then some of the other more swampy loops, and its right next to the Meadows Pool and the ampitheater. Getting to and from the marina on our bikes was no problem at all, and is just a 10 minute ride.

As swampy as FW is in places, we were amazed at the lack of bugs. I think I saw all of 1 yellow fly when there, and no mosquitos, no-seeums, regular flys, wasps, bees, ants or other criters. Amazing when you consider that its Florida in June.

Man was it HOT. I mean really HOT. Did I tell you that it was HOT? Well it was. The heat and humidity really effects everything that you do. We planned our MK visit to go in the morning when the park opened for EMH, then stay till noon when it started to get HOT, return to the RV, have lunch and get out of the heat or hit the pool, and then return after dinner. We did it, and that worked great. For our AK park visit, we stayed until about 4 and by then were just totally fried up and done.

For our Typhoon Lagoon day, we made sure that we had seats in the shade and found that our seat neighboors started to slide up next to our shade as the day progressed.

Using the buses worked great to get around. We never had to wait more then 15 minutes for our bus.

My DW and DS and I loved FW and we will return. I think next time that we'll just bite the bullet, take the kid out of school, and enjoy WDW and FW in October or April.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter