Future attractions on ships.

DisneyKrayzie2

Mouseketeer
So i watched a video on youtube about new ships coming next year and there were two with roller coasters (Carnival and some either line). It got me thinking of attractions on other ships go carts, carousels, sky ride, bumper cars. What are then chances of Disney adding some kind of attractions for the new Disney ships? I think adding something like Toy Story Mania or Flight of Passage would be perfect and easily fit into the ship.

So i watched a video on youtube about new ships coming next year and there were two with roller coasters (Carnival and some either line). It got me thinking of attractions on other ships go carts, carousels, sky ride, bumper cars. What are then chances of Disney adding some kind of attractions for the new Disney ships? I think adding something like Toy Story Mania or Flight of Passage would be perfect and easily fit into the ship.

I don't see it happening and I think it the logistics of making it happen would be difficult to say the least.

As long as DCL chooses to want to maintain the more classical oceanliner appearance of their ships, I don't see it happening. They've made some minor concessions with the Aquaduck and Aquadunk but I don't see them going full-on Carnival Midway any time soon.

That being said... They could easily replace the Aquaduck with something else like Carnival's Sky Ride... and a "thrill theater" --so much fun!!!-- like the Vista Class (on Carnival) is something that could easily be added... It doesn't take that much space.

That being said... They could easily replace the Aquaduck with something else like Carnival's Sky Ride... and a "thrill theater" --so much fun!!!-- like the Vista Class (on Carnival) is something that could easily be added... It doesn't take that much space.
I think the space part is a big push. Signature dining in Palo and Remy essentially makes the space above them closed during dinner hours. The Second funnel also uses up deck space. Finally, the top decks are shorter than the decks below, when many other ships are more rectangular in shape giving them more upper deck space for elaborate water parks etc.

This is what happened with the Dream Class. They just didn't get the space behind the second funnel figured out well. It's largely dead space. The water works is ok but cold. The bar back there is often forgotten about. The goofy sports area and minigolf aren't terrible but nothing amazing. They'll have this a bit more figured out I suspect in the future.

I don't think they need to go full out (which they won't) but it would be nice to have a great pool deck with bigger/more pools and a great splash area - and maybe something "fun" for kids. A ropes course/rock climbing wall is pretty tame in terms of what else is out there now.

I think the space part is a big push. Signature dining in Palo and Remy essentially makes the space above them closed during dinner hours. The Second funnel also uses up deck space. Finally, the top decks are shorter than the decks below, when many other ships are more rectangular in shape giving them more upper deck space for elaborate water parks etc.

This is what happened with the Dream Class. They just didn't get the space behind the second funnel figured out well. It's largely dead space. The water works is ok but cold. The bar back there is often forgotten about. The goofy sports area and minigolf aren't terrible but nothing amazing. They'll have this a bit more figured out I suspect in the future.

Aren't the new ships supposed to be a little bit bigger?

About 10,000 Gross Tons based on what has been announced. That's a change of less than 10%. I know very little about shipbuilding so I'm not sure how that will work out as far as available space goes.

I would think that, although it appears that something like FOP would easily fit onto a ship, that's only the part that the rider sees. The infrastructure is probably much larger but is behind the scenes so you never see it. And unless it's going to generate additional revenue, it's probably not something that you'd put in at the expense of an upscale dining venue or other revenue generator given the cost, maintenance and space requirements necessary.

I know very little about shipbuilding so I'm not sure how that will work out as far as available space goes

Rumour has it that the staterooms will be a bit larger than on the Fantasy/Dream - closer to those on the Magic/Wonder - but will have as many staterooms as the Fantasy/Dream. That could account for an additional 10% without much change to the other amenities in terms of what is offered and size (who knows what the decor or theming will be).

A little, but early renderings show a bump out in the middle of the ship, which I figure are family verandahs (5-6 guests) without needing concierge. and then another concierge deck/adult area at the front of the ship. It isn't like they are going to get a pile of space on the rear unless they relocate the restaurants above cabanas.

Really they need to move Palo and Remy to open up the space.
Option 1: down a few decks at the rear, this still gives them the vistas and the meridian lounge opens up the decks above and keeps the space quiet.
Option 2: to the front of the ship, sandwiched between concierge and satellite falls. Problem is you have spa services and no real kitchen space up there, so not sure how service corridors would be impacted.
Option 3: Deck 6 Midship, remy on oneside, Palo on the other.

I love all those things. Not sure I need them on my cruise ship, though.

I wonder how long the lineups would be for FOP on a cruise. Lol.
Exactly. They wouldn't offer a premium theme park-type attraction like FOP unless they knew a way to ensure that all 4,000-ish passengers on every cruise could be scheduled to do it. Because if all of the passengers coudn't get a turn, Guest Services and Twitter would bear the brunt...

Have you ever seen Disney's "Shipped Out" cartoon? It seems to be their way of poking fun at the Carnival/Royal type of hyped-up family entertainment on cruises:
I don't need a bunch more activities on the new ships, personally. Just updated variations on what they already do so well: lovely ships, spacious staterooms, theater shows, game shows, themed dining experiences, scavenger hunts, etc. Peace, beauty and relaxation are as important as fun when it comes to a cruise, imo.

I can't imagine they could do FoP on a moving cruise ship, there is already drama with how the vehicles restraints are one of the few disney rides that don't fit virtually everyone and the reason for that is safety - I can't imagine this thing would operate safely while the ship is rocking. Not a good cruise fit.

I like my cruise to be my cruise and the parks to be the parks.

Have you ever seen Disney's "Shipped Out" cartoon? It seems to be their way of poking fun at the Carnival/Royal type of hyped-up family entertainment on cruises:

Love that episode. “They’re killing us with fun!”

Honestly, if I wanted a theme-park experience, I would just go to WDW instead of taking a cruise. I agree with @Lisa F that these are two totally different types of vacations that do not need to be conflated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!