Fun extras at WDW for kids?

sarcasticblonde

DIS Veteran
I haven't been to WDW since 2008 and I was 25. Now I have 2 kids and we are planning a trip to WDW for the Summer of 2019. What are some fun extras that I may not be aware of or have been added in recent years that my then 9 year old son and (almost) 6 year old son would enjoy? Do they still do Jedi training at DHS? I remember there used to be a thing where you could "wake up" Tinkerbell at some gift shop so I am looking at things like that that would add to the magic. We are thinking of doing an Illuminations or Wishes cruise too. Thanks for your input!

Waking Tink is no longer a thing. My DD loves the Soceror's of the Magic Kingdom game-it's free you get started at the Fire Station and can get new cards daily. There are the Wilderness Explorers at Animal Kingdom; Jedi training academy at Hollywood Studios and another scavenger hunt type thing at Epcot.

With it being their first trip, they are going to have a great time! I haven't done either of the cruises you mentioned but we have done the Pirates and Pals cruise TWICE. Everyone in our party has gotten a kick out of it, with the added bonus of character meets.

One small piece of advice - all of these things are subject to end at any time, so I don't know if I would tell the kids about them until much closer to your trip.

One small piece of advice - all of these things are subject to end at any time, so I don't know if I would tell the kids about them until much closer to your trip.

Oh yeah, for sure we will not be mentioning that stuff to them. We will probably keep the trip a secret for a long time too.

So I am not sure from your post if you are looking for things that are free or just exciting extras so I will separate them

Free

Jack Sparrow's Pirate Tutorial (right outside of POTC) My nephew is STILL talking about this
Jedi Training is still a thing and you still have to get there early
Pulling the sword out of the stone (A disney classic)
Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom (as someone already mentioned)
You can drive the River Boat if you ask (I read this in an article I have not tried it myself so YMMV)
If you sit in the first car of the train at Animal Kingdom and the conductor is in there they will let you sound the "all aboard" if you ask
It changes often but sometimes they have chainsaw contests in Canada in the world showcase which is enjoyed by boys of all ages

Little cost/sometime lotta cost

Make your own lightsaber at HS HUGE hit (if you are looking for something a bit more cost effective you can build your own Droid)
Make your own Mini Figures at the Lego Store in Disney Springs
The Pirate's League Pirate Makeover
One of the dessert parties or cruises (we are doing the pirates and pals one for the first time in December)
Make your own Mr. Potato Head at Once Upon a Toy in Disney Springs
Design your own Magic band/phone covers in several locations
Pick a Pearl in Japan, have each boy pick a pearl and then have them turned into a pair of earrings for you (they get the fun experience you get a souvenir)
Have their silhouette done on mainstreet

To add to the above for free: Pirate's Adventures: Treasures of the Seven Seas - a scavenger hint type activity that you can activate special features (one of them is making smoke come out of the cannon in front of PoC). I beleieve there are 5 hunts, and you can get an FP to PoC for completing one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!