Ft. Wilderness tent loop

BarbLynnM

ICMongeese
I've just been made aware that Ft. Wilderness has switched from the shell sand to gravel. I've also heard that it's the sharp kind of gravel; we weren't planning on using a tarp under our Pahaque tent, but now it looks like it's going to have to be. I've also heard that it's been harder to anchor tent stakes in the gravel (which makes sense!).

Is there anyone out there in DisBoard land that's had experience with the recent change? Is it really that much harder for the stakes to stakes to stay put?

I'm not happy with the thought of having to walk over gravel :(

Last edited:
I do not tent camp, but did notice on our last trip that the gravel is not thick, the old shell/sand mixture is just under the top layer, so you should not have an issue for the stakes. As for a tarp, I would definitely recommend one or even a camping mat as the gravel is not comfortable to walk on.

Thank you--I've been really worried about how we would anchor the tent. We plan on taking those rubberized mats (don't know the brand name) that look kind of like puzzle pieces and are 2' squares to put inside the tent. We're definitely going to have to get a tarp.

Thank you--I've been really worried about how we would anchor the tent. We plan on taking those rubberized mats (don't know the brand name) that look kind of like puzzle pieces and are 2' squares to put inside the tent. We're definitely going to have to get a tarp.

I would consider the rubber mats under the tent to keep from puncturing the tent material.

Is there anyone out there in DisBoard land that's had experience with the recent change? Is it really that much harder for the stakes to stakes to stay put?

I'm not happy with the thought of having to walk over gravel :(

DW and I where in the 1600 loop with the new gravel pad tent camping. I used the yellow plastic sand stakes and the tent spikes ( look like long nails) and our tent stayed secure. Did not use a tarp or anything under the tent but we did have a rug on the inside. We had a outdoor rug outside the tent also, so not sure how it would have felt walking barefoot on the little stones.

8B8C0CB7-A517-4A88-B725-949BC54ECFD0.jpeg

I wonder if there are less ants in that stuff bc when we camped last time in our full hookup loop which had the sand area behind us, there were loads of ants and ant hills. I kept thinking that would not be too good for the tenters. We were next door to that beautiful 1600 tent loop though which we would cut through to get to the main pool area.

I did notice a lot of small ants in our site, but mainly on the paved area.

Eww. That does not look comfy for a tent at all, and our parks have crushed granite for the tent pads.
It also does not look fun to walk around on barefoot (don't judge, I hate shoes LOL)

We have two tents and two screened rooms in 2000 loop and we threw down tarps under each tent. We put tarps down as the "carpet" in our screened room. No problems. The new gravel is better than the old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!