Ft. Wilderness Experts Needed for Halloween Advice

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
I'm looking for those who have been during Halloween. I have another thread out there, but it's not getting any traffic so I thought I'd try again. I've also called the recreation desk, left a message, and no one has returned my call. I am wanting to know what will be going on at Ft. Wilderness on October 31. I know the golf cart parade is the day before, but will anyone still have their golf carts still decorated the next day? What is the best way to get around to see the decorated campsites? I know how big Ft. Wilderness is, so I know that walking will allow us to see some of the campsites but a limited number. What time will the campfire be? I saw where the awards ceremony happens at 6:30. What happens at it? We would like to finalize our plans for that evening. Any information will be appreciated!

Look at the pinned Movie and Recreation calendar near the top of the Camping Board, DisneyStarWisher. It should answer your questions.

Also, a good portion of the Fort is very walkable (not including the cabin loops but from what I hear they don't decorate much/at all). Also this year is my first trip to FW for Halloween so I'm no expert.

I'm keeping my golf cart decorated till I leave personally.

Bama Ed

On the recreation calendar, it states Campfire Lighting at 6:30, then Campfire Singalong at 7:00. So does this mean they light the campfire at 6:30 and let it burn for 30 minutes before they do the singing. I'm not interested in the singing, but I love a nice fire on Halloween. It would be cool to sit around it before the singing begins. Also it appears they are moving the movie back to 7:30 on Halloween night when it begins at 6:30 all other nights. Am I reading this correctly?

On the recreation calendar, it states Campfire Lighting at 6:30, then Campfire Singalong at 7:00. So does this mean they light the campfire at 6:30 and let it burn for 30 minutes before they do the singing. I'm not interested in the singing, but I love a nice fire on Halloween. It would be cool to sit around it before the singing begins. Also it appears they are moving the movie back to 7:30 on Halloween night when it begins at 6:30 all other nights. Am I reading this correctly?

Well it is literally a wood fire. There are actually two big firepit bowls at the movie/singalong location on the front corners of the location. They use one or two of them depending on the anticipated crowd. So the Castmember(s) put the split wood in the bowl(s) and light it and tend it for a few minutes (fanning it to give it more oxygen, etc.). There are no provisions/benches/seating around the pits because they are primarily for roasting marshmallows and not sitting around. If you attempted to put your chair up close there are kids waving sticks with lumps of sugar on fire in an attempt to put them out (oh the memories). I worried for my daughter with her long hair and those sticks with the ends on fire years ago.

My take on the time for the short films on the 31st (and I am no expert) is that the films start 10 minutes sooner (at 730p) but that's me reading the calendar. DW tells me I am wrong frequently. I would think on the 31st they don't belabor the singalong as history probably shows not as many people come that night so they roll the movies a few minutes earlier.

Of course I will defer to anyone who has actually boots-on-the-ground knowledge.

Bama Ed

Well it is literally a wood fire. There are actually two big firepit bowls at the movie/singalong location on the front corners of the location. They use one or two of them depending on the anticipated crowd. So the Castmember(s) put the split wood in the bowl(s) and light it and tend it for a few minutes (fanning it to give it more oxygen, etc.). There are no provisions/benches/seating around the pits because they are primarily for roasting marshmallows and not sitting around. If you attempted to put your chair up close there are kids waving sticks with lumps of sugar on fire in an attempt to put them out (oh the memories). I worried for my daughter with her long hair and those sticks with the ends on fire years ago.

My take on the time for the short films on the 31st (and I am no expert) is that the films start 10 minutes sooner (at 730p) but that's me reading the calendar. DW tells me I am wrong frequently. I would think on the 31st they don't belabor the singalong as history probably shows not as many people come that night so they roll the movies a few minutes earlier.

Of course I will defer to anyone who has actually boots-on-the-ground knowledge.

Bama Ed
Ah, now I see that the 6:30 time on the calendar is for the campfire followed by the movie. So they light the fire at 6:30, do the singalong at 7:00, and show the movie at 7:40 (7:30 on Halloween night). Now this makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up. I'm assuming the marshmallows come after the singalong as they do at the other resorts. Right now, we have an ADR at The Wave for 8:15. I'd love to eat a marshmallow or two but I'm thinking that would be pushing it on time.

Well, to push the point a little further,

The marshmallow roasting takes place before the singalong (in that 630-700p window after the fires get going) and during the singalong (700-73/40p) but during the singalong there aren't as many people roasting since they are trying to get in position for a picture with Chip & Dale as they circulate among the crowd for photographs and autographs.

By the time the movie rolls, the crowd either settles in to watch the flick or heads off for the beach to watch the fireworks over the MK. I mean, you might still find some coals burning at 9pm or later when you show but there won't be the E-L-E-C-tricity of the earlier time. But then again, that might be for the better.

Bama Ed

PS - I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just trying to help set expectations. A Wave ADR sounds DELICIOUS.

Well, to push the point a little further,

The marshmallow roasting takes place before the singalong (in that 630-700p window after the fires get going) and during the singalong (700-73/40p) but during the singalong there aren't as many people roasting since they are trying to get in position for a picture with Chip & Dale as they circulate among the crowd for photographs and autographs.

By the time the movie rolls, the crowd either settles in to watch the flick or heads off for the beach to watch the fireworks over the MK. I mean, you might still find some coals burning at 9pm or later when you show but there won't be the E-L-E-C-tricity of the earlier time. But then again, that might be for the better.

Bama Ed

PS - I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just trying to help set expectations. A Wave ADR sounds DELICIOUS.
Ah, this is perfect. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PUSHING THE POINT! This is exactly what I needed to know. What I would love is to walk around viewing the campsites right at sunset, then roast a couple of marshmallows before heading over to the Contemporary. Yes, dessert BEFORE dinner. To get a little more detailed, is the singalong slightly away from the fire pits? Just trying to visualize the roasting going on at the same time as the singalong. The only campfire singalong I am familiar with is at Hilton Head Island where the singalong takes place around the fire. Roasting happens after the singalong.

ETA: Also, how far is it to walk from the campfire to the boat dock after I indulge in my marshmallows?

Last edited:

Here is the movie/campfire/singalong area:

Ft-Wilderness-75.jpg

So sad to say, the wood bench and chair backs are gone. Now they're just aluminum benches.... The fire pits are to the right and far left of the front.

IMG_20130412_194519_zpsc26bc46b.jpg

As I said there are two pits here, one to either side. Go early, walk around and see the sights, and have a marshmallow.

Bama Ed

Here is the movie/campfire/singalong area:

Ft-Wilderness-75.jpg

So sad to say, the wood bench and chair backs are gone. Now they're just aluminum benches.... The fire pits are to the right and far left of the front.

IMG_20130412_194519_zpsc26bc46b.jpg

As I said there are two pits here, one to either side. Go early, walk around and see the sights, and have a marshmallow.

Bama Ed
Ok, you have sold me on Ft. Wilderness. Is it feasible to walk from the boat dock to the campfire and back? This would allow us to view the campsites, but my DH had knee surgery recently and we don't want to overdo it. We are big walkers, and normally we would be able to walk the whole thing. In fact, I walked over 6 miles today. But with his surgery, he's much slower and can't walk as far or as long now.

Last edited:
There are internal buses that run from both ends of the Fort: the "Outpost"/check-in area and the "Settlement"/Bay Lake end. Get on the yellow or orange line buses at either stop and tell the driver you're headed to the campfire. They will announce your stop.

On Big Pine Trail (the yellow bus line) get off at loop 1400 and bear left and follow the noise and lights to the campfire area. On Fort Wilderness Trail (the orange bus line) get off at the 600 loop stop and walk along the sidewalk that runs between sites and across the pond to the campfire area.

That's how you can get there. :thumbsup2

Bama Ed

There are internal buses that run from both ends of the Fort: the "Outpost"/check-in area and the "Settlement"/Bay Lake end. Get on the yellow or orange line buses at either stop and tell the driver you're headed to the campfire. They will announce your stop.

On Big Pine Trail (the yellow bus line) get off at loop 1400 and bear left and follow the noise and lights to the campfire area. On Fort Wilderness Trail (the orange bus line) get off at the 600 loop stop and walk along the sidewalk that runs between sites and across the pond to the campfire area.

That's how you can get there. :thumbsup2

Bama Ed
Perfect. I think we will try to walk through loops 100, 200, and 400 definitely. If he feels like it, we will try loops 300 and 500. Then judging from the map, we can hop on the yellow bus line and get off at 1400 for the campfire. Then we can take the bus back to the Settlement. I don't think that will be too much walking but will allow us to see some cool decorations. Thanks again.

From the campfire area to the dock would be about a 25 min walk, if one keeps an ok pace. From the bus stop at 1400 to the dock was a 20 min walk and it is about 5 min to campfire from there.
Boats run from the dock, 2 small boats leave about every 20 min or so. One goes to Wilderness Lodge then Contemporary and back to the Fort. The other one goes to Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, then back to the Fort.

Don't miss the decorations in Loop 1400 this year! They are fantastic.

No movie or campfire at Meadows on 31st due to activities on the beach. There will games and a movie there, not just award ceremony, as stated. Will be lots to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter