Frozen Musical will not return to Broadway

I'm so disappointed.... we were going to see it in February but didn't... and now we never will.

I'm so glad we got to see this production, as DH and I both prefer every stage version of Frozen that we have seen to the actual movie, lol. It is so sad to not expect Broadway to open until September...

I know a lot of times broadway shows go on tour to different cities. I wonder if they may take this one on the road like that.

I know a lot of times broadway shows go on tour to different cities. I wonder if they may take this one on the road like that.
This one was already planned too and is still going to as of now. The show tweeted such.

It’s surprising because it’s still a pretty hard ticket. It’s no Hamilton, but I didn’t think Frozen would be one to cancel their stay

This one was already planned too and is still going to as of now. The show tweeted such.

Well that is some good news then. I like hitting some of the broadway stuff when they come through atlanta and would defintiely do this one if it came here. Hopefully it will.

Oh no!! Though honestly I did not love it. We saw it the week it opened so that was fun-- right after we returned from a great disney trip -- we bought a couple souvenirs at least ...
We have tix to Music Man opening week -- not sure that will happen...

It’s surprising because it’s still a pretty hard ticket. It’s no Hamilton, but I didn’t think Frozen would be one to cancel their stay

I’ve seen speculation that Frozen was Disney’s worst performing musical currently running, and they were planning on closing it in the coming year to make way for another show - between The Princess Bride, Hercules, and supposedly a Beauty and the Beast revival, Disney certainly had a few ideas to choose from. I am very surprised that the first Broadway show to have to close is a Disney show, but if they’re cutting costs to save as much money as they can, I suppose it makes sense. Frozen will likely be on tour for many, many years though.

It had been a hard ticket, but not so much the last few pre-Covid months

It had been showing up on TDF consistently, which is normally a sign that ticket sales are not great

I'm shocked. The Little Mermaid and Tarzan were both stinkers too, but Disney kept the money flowing to save face and keep them on Broadway for more than a year.

Given the success of Frozen II, Frozen on Broadway should've been riding high. This is a sign there was little to no advance and limited general interest.

For once, I have faith in the general theatregoing public. The show was terrible.

We had tickets for the National Tour of Frozen coming to Dallas in June/July. They canceled it about 3wks ago. I’m not 100% but I believe it was Disney/Frozen that pulled the plug on our engagement bc other shows slated for the same theater do not have cancellations (yet). Bummer- it was gonna be my daughters first broadway show, can’t think of a better choice for a 6yo!
It looks like the tour site still lists shows from Sept going forward, so fingers crossed it’ll keep touring for a bit.

We saw it for it's pre-Broadway opening when it debuted in Denver. I just thought it was okay but I read it was doing well on Broadway. I'm shocked and saddened to hear it is closing permanently.

The grosses for all shows are (were) posted weekly on Playbill and BroadwayWorld. It was doing fine to good, but nowhere near the business Aladdin and The Lion King are doing. Sad but not extremely surprising they didn’t bring it back. I personally enjoyed every minute of it!

I'm shocked. The Little Mermaid and Tarzan were both stinkers too, but Disney kept the money flowing to save face and keep them on Broadway for more than a year.

Given the success of Frozen II, Frozen on Broadway should've been riding high. This is a sign there was little to no advance and limited general interest.

For once, I have faith in the general theatregoing public. The show was terrible.
Frozen was on Broadway for just about 2 years. Opened March 2018 and “closed“ March 2020. Just depends on the actual dates to see if they eclipsed the 2 year mark.

I’ve seen speculation that Frozen was Disney’s worst performing musical currently running, and they were planning on closing it in the coming year to make way for another show - between The Princess Bride, Hercules, and supposedly a Beauty and the Beast revival, Disney certainly had a few ideas to choose from. I am very surprised that the first Broadway show to have to close is a Disney show, but if they’re cutting costs to save as much money as they can, I suppose it makes sense. Frozen will likely be on tour for many, many years though.

it wasdefinitely the worst performer of their three productions in terms of ticket sales. During the winter they often had discounted tickets everywhere, certainly not a hard ticket to get. They even closed portions of the balcony for some performances. Disney had penciled this in for a winter closing anyway. While broadway announced a shutdown until at least sept 6, most of us in the industry have already come to the conclusion that theatre won’t be back until at least January. (The period where they were already planning on closing Frozen). With drastically lower numbers predicted upon reopening, Disney is consolidating their efforts around Lion King and Aladdin.

there is a long gestating revival of Beauty and the Beast in the works, which would have replaced this. But with a pretty dire outlook ahead due to the virus, who knows if they will go through with mounting such an expensive production. We may have to wait longer for that one.

Oh no!! Though honestly I did not love it. We saw it the week it opened so that was fun-- right after we returned from a great disney trip -- we bought a couple souvenirs at least ...
We have tix to Music Man opening week -- not sure that will happen...

The Music Man is one of my all time favorite musicals, hope you get to see it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter