Frosh Dorm Room Necessities Ideas-Can't live without

i second a small toolbox and the Command hooks!! Those hooks are sooo key, i use them for EVERYTHING (hanging up towels, christmas lights, hanging pictures/memorabilia, etc. etc. they are seriously so ridiculously useful. AND, you can use the sticky part as a strong double-sided tape kinda thing w/o the hook.)

and i know it seems obvious, but don't forget to pack school supplies!! staplers, extra paper, a ruler, 3-hole punch, a real good pair of scissors, and the like...you never realize how badly you need the simple things until you don't have them, lol.

Some of the stuff we thought was essential, my daughter ended up not using. Mattress topper was a life-saver for her. Also, cannot recommend this site enough to help come up with the list: https://ineedmax.com.
Also check with the school, some stuff you can rent. Like mini-fridge might either already be there or rentable.

Last edited:
I'm currently in college and Freshman year I felt that I had too many un-used things that cluttered my already small room. My suggestion is to not go overboard, because the dorms are only so big, but make sure you get the important things. Also, talk to you son about what he thinks would be important for him to bring. I'm sure you will do fine though, parents are usually good at knowing what their children need.

Had two live at college; DS in suite style ... 2 guys each in 2 bedrooms connected by bathroom. They got quite creative in the end making one room a bedroom and one room a living room aka video game room. DD in apartment style (college owned) where she had her own bedroom and bathroom in an apartment with 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, living room, kitchen, washer/dryer.

I can't stress enough to take less especially for a guy. They don't have room for all that stuff. Look at what is supplied in the room and go from there. Don't spend all that money now .... later if he says "oh I need a coffee pot" then send the money for it. If you buy all that stuff you often find it's not used. Where there is a college there is a Walmart or Target or most students get Amazon Prime for free.

#1 thing ........... take a mattress "BED BUG BLOCKER ZIPPERED MATTRESS PROTECTOR" to keep whatever is in the mattress ... away from him. Then add an egg crate/mattress pad for comfort. Nothing worse than bad night sleep. My kids never ran into issues ... not even when DD did the Disney College Program and roommates woke up bit by bed bugs ... but DD was fine.

Last edited:
An Amazon account. My daughter is heading off next week and I keep reminding myself "she can get anything she needs the next day with a credit card"

Honestly, I used my desk essentials and desk organization the most. I forgot about the trendy pillow I just had to have and used my essentials like drawer organizers. I honestly think string lights were really nice to have too since it really made a calming mood in my room at the end of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!