• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Frequent visitors keeping it "Special"

MikeP

Mouseketeer
We have been to Orlando 3 times, in 95, 2000, and this year. Both the 1995 and the 2000 trips seemed more special. We had a great time this year, but it seemed to familiar and just not quite as special. For us this is a very expensive vacation with airfare and all. How do you folks who go so frequently keep it special?

...and going very slowly through the parks. Taking the time to look at the minute details that Disney incorporates into everything. AK is a great place to do this! You can spend several minutes just looking at a lamp post! Also, trying a new place for a meal, even if just a snack. There are over 250 restaurants on Disney property so we don't expect to run out of options any time soon! We look for the things that have changed. It is fun to notice small changes throughout the world. And sometimes the changes aren't so small, like the addition to France's street acts. He is a truly funny performer; a mime that interacts with the crowd and uses children from the audience in the act. It is a huge relief to know that there will be another time, very soon, to do whatever it is that we didn't have time for during this visit.

We've been every year except one for quite a few years and it's become rather familiar for us. It feels a bit like a home away from home now and that feels special at least to me. Maybe it's just a matter of perspective and what it is you're looking for. Next year I hope to add Universal as a new experience.

We also try new places in between trips to WDW so we do like to explore new places. :)

We're not so frequent but we have been a few times. I went with a friend a long time ago. My husband and I have been. In 1996 we took our 4yr old (at the time) son. In 5 weeks we are going with MIL also. She has been with all her grandchildren except my son. (Timing was off-FIL got very sick.) However, this is the first time she has ever stayed onsite. And she hasnt done any character meals onsite either. This will be our first time staying at Wilderness Lodge. We stayed at All Stars in 1996.

We try to do things that are non-Disney as well. There's many other things to do to change it up a little and keep the experience fresh. We try to spend a day at one of the local state parks, hiking or canoeing and soaking up some natural magic. Because we usually go when it's dead of winter here, it's nice to be able to throw on your shorts and just play outside!

We also try to explore some other towns -- Winter Park and Mt. Dora are favorites. Small towns with interesting shops and scenic picnic potential. Rent a car for the day, gather up picnic fixings and explore.

And since you are really in central FL, it's an easy ride to either coast for a day at the beach. We especially like the west coast -- it's fine, white sand and turquoise waters make you feel like you are in the Bahamas for a day.

We don't go as frequently now for many reasons -- mostly ones that are green and feature presidents! But when we were going every year we always spent at least 2 days away from theme-based parks and entertainment to explore the surroundings. It made the vacation a little less predictable, more relaxed and definitely more magical.

Good question, Mike!

I go about 3 to 4 times a year and each time we try to do something we've never done. We never do the same parks in the same order, either. We balance Universal and Disney each trip so sometimes it's more Disney or more Universal, depending on where we stay.

I also go to a different resort each time. I like trying out different places, it takes the monotony out of vacationing. I've YET to stay at the same hotel twice, but the Hard Rock may change that!

live in tampa and go to wdw a min of 30 days per year.(yes!we have season passes.)it's just a great place to spend your day.you must not be a chase the rides person to enjoy this much disney.it's the little details and beauty that the park offers.the landscapeing is the finest you will find.the people watching is also wonderful.

This is a good question... while it does feel like going home (six times in the past two years) we always try to do new things:

Go to a water park if you have never done so....

Go visit the other hotels (like Robin mentioned)

Relax at your own hotel and enjoy the pool

Mini Golf

DisneyQuest

Go to the movies (Downtown Disney or Citywalk)

Read and Book and Check out new music at the Virgin Megastore

Order a movie on PPV and order in (room service is a great treat)

Check out new shopping areas (something Orlando always has more of! For example, the new Premier Outlet Mall)

Enjoy the parks, what I mean by this is don't do every ride in one day, go on some rides and then do something else, even if it is going to another park!

Universal Studios (and Islands of Adventure!!!)

Citywalk at USF, and also checking out the Portfino and the new Hard Rock Hotel

Sea World (or even their new expensive Discovery Cove Water and Education Park)

Kennedy space Center (a day trip from Orlando)

Busch Gardens (another day trip from Orlando)

International's crazy museums: Ripley's Believe it or Not, Wonder Works and all of the other places you can spend a couple of hours....

Dinner Shows (there is so many in Orlando you could never see all of them!!!)

Whew!!!! The list could go on forever.....but there really is alot to see and do.... try to always incorporate new things with the old and it sure does make for a wonderful vacation!!! :D

For me, and my family, what keeps it special is the climate. By February we have had enough of the New England winter so arriving in sunny florida for 9 days is like a dream. It goes by quickly but when we get back spring is only a few weeks away. We have always had great weather in February and it's a welcome break.

Everytime we go we stay at a different resort or hotel usually offsite but sometimes onsite. Our vacation itinerary is based upon where we are staying. For instance, we spent one night at AKL last time we were there. It was so relaxing. Once we got onsite we stayed put: eating at Boma, swimming in the pool/jacuzzi, watching the animals. It was totally relaxing - our teens loved it!
Another time, we stayed at the Wyndham in DD. That time, we ate at RFC, enjoyed seeing Cirque du Soleil, shopped at DD, & enjoyed the houseband playing at the Wyndham. We also had a ps for lunch at Whispering Canyon and visited the lodge. We also took our sons to visit the Contemporary, played video games in their gameroom, and briefly toured the Contemporary resort. Since my children are now teens - they are tired of MK and we spend the least amount of time there. Last time we went dh and I took the Keys tour which we both enjoyed. When we go to the parks we make sure to make ps's for the restaurants and each time we go we try another restaurant instead of rushing to the rides. Try to do things that you haven't done before to make it a truly special time!

1 - Mix in plenty of UO, SW IOA, BG etc. 2- Rotate your 'to-see' list, purposely avoid things
you did on last trip, and save for next time. Similar strategy works for frewquent Vegas go'ers too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter