French Quarter to the Fantasy With an EPIC Cherry on Top…Spring 2019! Updated 10/25!

How awesome that the CM gave you guys a Mickey and Minnie FP! That line is so long most of the time.

The photos are so adorable- sounds like a fun meet!

May 1, 2019
TRAVEL DAY

Before I get to Travel Day…I'm going to back up to how this trip all came about in the first place, since this was about a year in the making.

If you want the nitty gritty details, here's the link to the PTR started by Su-Lynn last July:

The Most EPIC Pre-Trip Report

But the cliff's note version is that Fallon mentioned in a group chat that we should all get together in WDW and there was a lot of, "Oh my gosh, yes!"

For me personally, I was super excited at the prospect but I also knew I had a BIG trip planned already for April. Nicholas is graduating high school this year and thinking that this may be our last April vacation together, we had booked the Fantasy cruise last year while we were on the Wonder. So when the group decided on early May for the EPIC trip, I was really thinking there was no way I could possible go since it was so soon after our April trip.

But that didn't stop me from wanting to go and I kept myself in the EPIC planning group chat while everyone was planning and booking their hotels. I talked about it with Mike multiple times and didn't really make a decision one way or another until Kari @kastoney texted me and asked if I wanted to be her roomie at the Wilderness Lodge. At that point, I knew I needed to make a decision one way or another and after talking it over again with Mike, I decided that I would HATE to miss out on this! And that was that. Once I committed to Kari, I knew there was no backing out and I got even more excited about going!

Side note, at the time, I was planning on only going for three nights, May 3-May 6th and since Mike doesn't fly, having him come along was not really an option. For those new to my trip reports, my husband Mike either takes the train down from CT, or actually next March, we will be driving down together. I also didn't realize so many husbands would be going and I was kind of bummed that he wasn't there because I think he would have really loved hanging out in the lounges and Geyser Point with us and Ariane's and Jenny's husbands. He is definitely coming down to the next EPIC trip!

So Kari and I were planning on staying at the Wilderness Lodge May 3-May 6th. I had my plane ticket booked, I got myself an AP on my April trip and everything was all set. But then a couple weeks before the trip, Su-Lynn texted that a super generous offer was made for us to have a VIP tour on May 2nd. What?? And I was missing that by ONE day! :sad: Liesa @Steppesister and I started texting back and forth because she was in the same boat and we decided that we would fly down a couple days early and try to find a place to stay together for those two nights. This is easier said than done and it was so last minute that there was very little available in all of WDW that wasn't exorbitantly expensive. Somehow she and I managed to piece together a couple nights at two different resorts and we were all set to go, until Liesa got a super generous offer from Jill @jedijill to stay in her room at Animal Kingdom Lodge for those two nights! :worship:Obviously, this was much more appealing and we happily took her up on her offer!

So on May 1st, I left dreary CT,
enhance

and arrived in sunny Orlando around 7:30 pm…
enhance

I know it had only been a couple weeks, but it felt so good to see Palm Trees again :love:

Liesa had gotten in earlier in the day and once I landed, she and I were texting back and forth about meeting at AKL. I was actually more than a little nervous because I really didn't know Liesa very well and I had never even texted Jill. When I explained to my friends at work what I was doing, I think they thought I was a little crazy. I'm not going to lie…I thought I was a little crazy for doing this too, but I figured, what the heck!? I also think a big part of this is that this was all happening in WDW and I am super comfortable traveling there by myself and figured if things didn't work out, I would figure something else out.

Luckily, not only did things work out, but Liesa and Jill are two of the nicest, easy-going people I've ever met :hug:. It makes me even happier that I took a chance on this ::yes::

Anyway, after a not too terribly long ride on the DME,
enhance

I arrived at AKL around 9 pm.
enhance

For those who read my October trip report, you may recall that we didn't love Jambo House. I have to say, that after staying in Kidani Village with a Savanna View, I have changed my mind about AKL. BUT, and this is a big thing, I would only stay there again with a Savanna View, and not a view of the closed down under-refurbishment pool, like we had in October :crazy2:

Kidani also has a smaller, more welcoming feel to it that I preferred.

Liesa met me in the lobby, and despite what she says, she looked perfectly lovely and we hit it off right away! We brought my bags to the room and went in search of food. Our plan was to sit outside by the pool and have some drinks and appetizers, but when we got there, there was a very limited menu so we decided to head into Sanaa instead. Mike and I had planned to go here twice and somehow never made it and I have always wanted to try the bread service, so I was excited.

I love some of the cool art in there...
enhance

enhance

How much fun for a NICU RN!
enhance

We had a lovely server and after a short discussion, Liesa and I decided to just share the bread with all the accompaniments. This was just as amazing as people say, though a couple of the sauces were just way too hot for me.

enhance

I was also very excited to see that the had Trulys here and I had a couple of those as well, while Liesa had a glass of wine.

We sat and talked and got to know each other better and it was really such an awesome meeting and a perfect start to an EPIC trip!
enhance

Liesa and I closed down Sanaa and headed back to our room at 11, where I finally met Jill, our most generous host, who had been sleeping prior to us coming in! Despite this, she was absolutely lovely and just such a kind person who I am most grateful to!

We chatted for a bit before settling down for the night since we had to get up and go pretty early to start a most AMAZING day!

Up next…the VIP tour that I am SOOOO happy I didn't miss!
Sorry, I didn't mean to attach this entire post... I can't quite figure out how this works yet! Anyway, I am late to reading this, but LOVE to hear another Nurse's take on the EPIC adventure you all had! And how cool was the mom and baby statue for a NICU RN!

My most awkward character encounter in 2016 was with talking Mickey - he didn't seem to know what to do with a single adult.

That's funny…I met him by myself too and remember feeling super awkward, as well :crazy2: I think I was just very self-conscious and didn't know what to say to him so I felt weird.

I also had some excellent character encounters while solo with Chip and Dale, Buzz and Woody, Rafiki, and Sorcerer Mickey.

That's cool ::yes::

I have had fun meets with most of them but it was mostly when I was with my kids when they were younger. Although, DH and I had a really fun meet with Gaston last year :goodvibes

OMG Kelly! What a totally cute photo session with the main Mouse and his gal pal!!!!
I love your Mickey and Minnie photo sesh! Their outfits are awesome, and you all look so cute! Sounds like they really made it a unique fun experience.
I love character meet and greets and it sounds like you guys had a hoot meeting Mickey and Minnie. I love their birthday outfits and you got some great pictures even with the photo bombing :laughing:

I would highly recommend doing this one, even if you're aren't one for character meets normally :goodvibes

I was not expecting to get them either but I used every charm in the book and Steve was batting his eyelashes but apparently that was not enough...
😆 😆 😆
All we had to do was drop our dashing VIP guides name, Jon Waters, and they were like, Jon Waters?!? He's a legend. And they just gave them to us! LOL.

Ahhhh! But still…you were smart enough to even know to do that!

I'm dreaming of our amazing day!

Same! :cloud9::grouphug:

I loved the interaction that day. And you are right the waits for the FP meet n greets are longer and are definitely more interactive and less just about a "picture" and more about everyone having an "experience!"

I am kind of kicking myself for not making my kids do this in April. If I had only known how much fun it would be :goodvibes

I got a little behind, somehow!!

Story of my life lately ::yes::

I see them! And just on the other side was a security line that had barely any people... they should really have split that up better.

Yea, that was a little weird. But honestly, I was still a little nervous at this point so I hardly noticed.

Tower is my faaaav, but the preshow is just too darn long!

That's true. We would have killed a lot of time in there. SDD x2 was a much better idea :thumbsup2

These are AMAZING! And this makes sense, can't kick Mickey out, he's the STAR!

Exactly! ::yes::

John Waters IS a legend(ary director) so it's cool they share a name and very cool you could name drop lol!

I thought at first you were saying you knew our John Waters too! I'm going to have to google the other John Waters…his name sounds familiar.:goodvibes

The Mickey and Minnie M&G is so fun!! I love how long they spend with everyone at this one. Its definitely a nice change of pace, especially when you don't have kids with you I feel like most characters are gone in an instant after they take a picture with you!

It was definitely nice that they didn't just rush us through :thumbsup2

Aw looks like such a fun group of people! That's awesome about the VIP tour. Love your pics with Mickey and Minnie!

The best!

Thanks for reading! :goodvibes

How awesome that the CM gave you guys a Mickey and Minnie FP! That line is so long most of the time.

The photos are so adorable- sounds like a fun meet!

That's the closest I'll ever get to being pixie-dusted pixiedust: So much fun!

Last edited:
OMG! What an amazing meet with Mickey and Minnie! :thumbsup2 I, too, rarely wait in line to do these and almost never get a FP for them, but whenever I do, they definitely make the time well worth it. The pictures are awesome!!! :rotfl:

Sorry, I didn't mean to attach this entire post... I can't quite figure out how this works yet! Anyway, I am late to reading this, but LOVE to hear another Nurse's take on the EPIC adventure you all had! And how cool was the mom and baby statue for a NICU RN!

No worries. It can be kind of tricky until you get the hang of it ::yes::

You're the first person that picked up on why I loved this statue :lovestruc What kind of nursing do you do?

The VIP group mostly dispersed and I walked over to Main Street and bought a Mickey Ice Cream Bar at a kiosk. While I was strolling along enjoying my ice cream, I bumped into Su-Lynn @chunkymonkey , her husband Steve, her sister Su-Queen, and Kari at a little booth on Main Street. Su-Lynn was talking to a CM and I missed the beginning of their conversation so I have no idea how she did it, but shortly after the CM tapped all of our bands and gave us all a FP to go meet Mickey & Minnie :love:

I was excited because I hadn't yet seen them in their birthday outfits.
Amazing!
They were super adorable and this was such a fun meet. I guess as I think about it now, maybe this is what makes getting a FP for these meets worth it and I would definitely do this again!

After that, I parted ways with Su-Lynn and her group and went off to do a little solo MK time.
I love it! You guys had so much fun!! I had the best time with M&M in March as well and can't wait to bring DH to meet them next week!

No worries. It can be kind of tricky until you get the hang of it ::yes::

You're the first person that picked up on why I loved this statue :lovestruc What kind of nursing do you do?
I was a Cardiac Med-Surg RN before transferring to the Emergency Department. I LOVE it there and can't imagine going anywhere else. I guess I am a total adrenaline junky, and I love that every day is different!

Hi Kelly :wave2:

Great pictures!

I love it I'm still so sad I wasn't able to go but happy I can follow along with your TR :D

Once everyone was together, our guides gave us a rundown of how things would go for the day. We would pretty much stay together unless anyone decided to opt out of a ride, in which case we could split up. And we would use the FastPass line for our rides.

I've heard so many awesome things about the VIP tours and going with a group makes it so much more affordable.

watch the Blue Angels fly over SSE.

Very cool to see the Blue Angels!

We got to ride SDD not once, but TWICE!

Love this ride

I cannot overstate how amazing this day way and how grateful I am to have gotten this opportunity
to go on a VIP tour since this will probably be the only time I will ever do this!
Amazing not only to do so much but visit all the parks :cool1:

CM tapped all of our bands and gave us all a FP to go meet Mickey & Minnie :love:

Wow very cool

Great pic ladies and so much fun with all the silliness

Two trip reports in one! I'm in. Plus I love reading about the EPIC girls trip. I followed along on Su-Lynne's insta stories looked like so much fun... okay now to go back and catch up!

Been MIA myself a spell, but am back to comment. What a great Meet you had with Mickey and Minnie! Pretty crazy antics there. :)

Super glad you ran into them so you could join in!

Sorry I've been totally neglecting this TR lately! I've been working a lot and busier than ever, despite it being summer! We are heading to HH a week from Friday. I'm hoping to get an update in before then, but if I don't, I plan on using some of my down time to get some updates in while we're down there. Thanks to all who are still sticking around to read this :lovestruc

I love it! You guys had so much fun!! I had the best time with M&M in March as well and can't wait to bring DH to meet them next week!

I'm just thinking that was probably last week now…did you get to meet them?

I was a Cardiac Med-Surg RN before transferring to the Emergency Department. I LOVE it there and can't imagine going anywhere else. I guess I am a total adrenaline junky, and I love that every day is different!

It's good that you found your niche. I love the NICU but our unit has gotten crazy in the past couple years. I think about moving somewhere quieter for the next 15 (??) years, but I don't even know where I want to go so I don't go anywhere :laughing:

Hello, there! Welcome! I miss being over on the "show me…" thread! I'm going to head back over there soon!

I love it I'm still so sad I wasn't able to go but happy I can follow along with your TR :D

Next time! We'll all be there for the 50th so I think that's when we're planning for!

Two trip reports in one! I'm in. Plus I love reading about the EPIC girls trip. I followed along on Su-Lynne's insta stories looked like so much fun... okay now to go back and catch up!

:welcome:

I love reading all the EPIC trip reports too…and I was there!

Been MIA myself a spell, but am back to comment. What a great Meet you had with Mickey and Minnie! Pretty crazy antics there. :)

Super glad you ran into them so you could join in!

I've been MIA too…I had some stuff going on and craziness with work. Hoping to get some updates up soon. Miss you, roomie :hug:

Sorry I've been totally neglecting this TR lately! I've been working a lot and busier than ever, despite it being summer! We are heading to HH a week from Friday. I'm hoping to get an update in before then, but if I don't, I plan on using some of my down time to get some updates in while we're down there. Thanks to all who are still sticking around to read this :lovestruc
Have a great time in HH!!!!! I hope you have good weather and are able to relax. Hey, maybe you and Mike could drink some Sangria in a box???? :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter