French Civics Lesson

jdb in AZ

It could end up curdled
French President Macron has pledged to rebuild Notre Dame in time for the Paris Olympics in 2024. Very ambitious, and that's probably overly optimistic, but I wish them the best. I'm not understanding why the French government is in charge of a Catholic Cathedral. Some kind of French law, but can someone explain it?

From what I heard this morning on the radio, the French government owns Notre Dame and leases it to the Catholic Church for free. I don't think it has anything to do with any French law (at least not any current law), but rather that Notre Dame is, in addition to being a Catholic cathedral, the heart of Paris culturally and architecturally.
my guess is the government took it over at some point in the last several hundred years - for quite a long time France was officially a Catholic country (while England was Protestant)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!