Freezing Strawberries & other questions

fkj2

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have recommendations for freezing strawberries? (Sliced, whole) Can you use a Food Saver? Should I sugar them or not?

Can you freeze potatoes and how? And, has anyone tried freezing celery?

I don't think that potatoes freeze well, but then I found this link that says it ok:
http://www.i5ive.com/article.cfm/food_preservation/57913

Here's a link that I found about freezing strawberries:
http://www.klickmanfarms.com/recipes/freezemethods.htm

Now, as far as celery goes, from what I was able to find celery loses it's crispness when frozen and is only good for use in cooked dishes. The site I found recommends washing them, cutting them into 1 inch pieces then blanching them before freezing them for later use.

Hope this info helped you!

I freeze strawberries, watermelon chunks and blueberries this way. Spread fruit...strawberries (no sugar) hulled but whole on a cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in freezer. When frozen I dump in a large zip loc bag. Now you have individual pieces of fruit instead of a huge frozen block of mush. I use these to make smoothies and other frozen drinks.

Thanks to both of you for responding. Some lady in the berry pattch described an identical method to freezing her berries so I think I'll give that a try.

And, you can buy frozen potatoes in the store so I figure why not try it...I'm forever wasting the produce I buy because it goes bad before I use all of it.

I freeze my strawberries using the cookie sheet method too.

I just finished freezing 8-quart bags.

I am a Weight Watcher and a half a cup of frozen strawberries makes a wonderfully refreshing snack. It is only a half a point too.

Chessie

I just wash and pick the ends off and put them in a bag and freeze them. I use the quart size bags and try to layer them ontop of each other for more room. I picked 24 qts this year, hope it makes it till next year.

I mainly use frozen strawberries for smoothies, so i don't add any sugar, trying to lose weight (of course!)
my kids can add sugar while they thaw since that's how they like them!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!