Freezers in the Studios?

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
When we've stayed in studios, we've always had a small freezer section in our refrigerator. I like to have bacon and sausage in the mornings and the freezer is the perfect size for a package of each. I also like my pop (that's what we call it here in Michigan) on the rocks so the small ice cube tray saves me trips to the ice machine in the morning.

I'm considering a studio at CCV next year and I looked at the photos posted online and it looks like the refrigerators no longer have a freezer section. Is this something that DVC is phasing in to all of the studios? Not having a freezer, even if it is just a small one, kind of takes away from the "home away from home" experience. There really isn't a way to keep bacon and sausage frozen by making trips to the ice dispenser. I have a studio booked at AKV (value) in October and the last time, we had a freezer, but I've read here that some didn't. I hope I can find out before I make my grocery order.

Some resorts still have them, while others don't. I have heard they are phasing them out. We stay at Bwv a lot and have had them most of the time, though they seldom work very well. Often it takes several days to freeze a bottle of water.

Some rooms within a DVC resort have a refrigerator with a freezer in the studio and others don't because replacement refrigerators may or may not have freezers.

It's also not something you can request via room assignment, due to the nature of the object. Some have been replaced, some haven't. I don't think desk or assignor has the faintest clue which are which.

This is a topic very important to me, as I bring much of my own food due to religious dietary considerations.
When I stayed at Villas at Grand Floridian when it first opened, there was no freezer section. I inquired about it, and was told by Member Services that the freezers are being phased out due to "members wanting more space in the refrigerator"! Makes no sense, but that was the excuse.
Be aware of another thing going on: Apparently, Disney is removing the knobs on the thermostats, to prevent people from turning down the temperature to freeze the food. I had that at my stay at Kidani back in December 2016.
In any event, here is what I do: I put food I want frozen back against the cooling coils, and put a bag of ice against the other side (door side) of the food. I also turn down the thermostat a bit; too much, and all the food in the unit freezes.

Last edited:
We stayed in a Poly studio in May and there was not a freezer section in the refrigerator.

Disney considers the units as cooling units not refrigerators. The freezer section on the older units and turning the temp down will freeze the coils and housekeeping will turn off the units to defrost them. Problem is water then fills the bottom of the unit and then leaks onto the floor. Due to these reasons they are installing different units when the opportunity comes up.

:earsboy: Bill

Disney considers the units as cooling units not refrigerators. The freezer section on the older units and turning the temp down will freeze the coils and housekeeping will turn off the units to defrost them. Problem is water then fills the bottom of the unit and then leaks onto the floor. Due to these reasons they are installing different units when the opportunity comes up.

That's all very convenient for Disney. However, Disney advertises that my DVC room is a "home," and in my other home, I'm able to store food without it getting ruined.
As far as the run-off problem, I routinely have to put a towel in front of the refrigerator. That is a design flaw that Disney should deal with--and not at the expense of my convenience.
As a Wyndham owner, I once stayed at the Wyndham Grand at Bonnet Creek. The room had a "micro fridge" that barely kept stuff cool---even after I pulled it out of its cabinet and turned down the thermostat. Is that next for DVC, just because it is more convenient for maintenance?

That's all very convenient for Disney. However, Disney advertises that my DVC room is a "home," and in my other home, I'm able to store food without it getting ruined.
As far as the run-off problem, I routinely have to put a towel in front of the refrigerator. That is a design flaw that Disney should deal with--and not at the expense of my convenience.
As a Wyndham owner, I once stayed at the Wyndham Grand at Bonnet Creek. The room had a "micro fridge" that barely kept stuff cool---even after I pulled it out of its cabinet and turned down the thermostat. Is that next for DVC, just because it is more convenient for maintenance?

Fine line to walk here. Maintenance and housekeeping issues can cause rooms to be taken out of service and delay room turn-over, that's not allowed for DVC rooms. Owners would really be upset if the check in time for studios was changed to 6:00 because of the need to deal with frozen units and water messes. Owners also don't want to pay for new units that may work better.

Fine line to walk here. Maintenance and housekeeping issues can cause rooms to be taken out of service and delay room turn-over, that's not allowed for DVC rooms. Owners would really be upset if the check in time for studios was changed to 6:00 because of the need to deal with frozen units and water messes. Owners also don't want to pay for new units that may work better.

It's Disney's decision to balance comfort of customers/customer relations/costs.

It's Disney's decision to balance comfort of customers/customer relations/costs.
On that I'm sure we all agree. I prefer a freezer but it's reasonable to phase them out in this situation even if it doesn't work for everything. My guess is that the units without freezers are more available and cheaper so I suspect it's a cost issue more than anything else. It sounds like anyone that has to have a freezer won't be able to consistently make do with a studio going forward.

On that I'm sure we all agree. I prefer a freezer but it's reasonable to phase them out in this situation even if it doesn't work for everything. My guess is that the units without freezers are more available and cheaper so I suspect it's a cost issue more than anything else. It sounds like anyone that has to have a freezer won't be able to consistently make do with a studio going forward.
I'm sure units without freezer sections not only cost less, but probably run on fewer watts.
When I encountered the missing freezer at VGF when it first opened, the concierge told me that they were told the middle shelf is the freezer section!---despite the shelves being wire. A quick Internet search found the manufacturer's specs, with no mention of a freezer section, of course.
So like I said, my work around is to put a bag of ice cubes in the refrigerator. Not only does this keep my food frozen, but the ice cubes last for days---and thus I am saving money for DVC!

When we've stayed in studios, we've always had a small freezer section in our refrigerator. I like to have bacon and sausage in the mornings and the freezer is the perfect size for a package of each. I also like my pop (that's what we call it here in Michigan) on the rocks so the small ice cube tray saves me trips to the ice machine in the morning.

I'm considering a studio at CCV next year and I looked at the photos posted online and it looks like the refrigerators no longer have a freezer section. Is this something that DVC is phasing in to all of the studios? Not having a freezer, even if it is just a small one, kind of takes away from the "home away from home" experience. There really isn't a way to keep bacon and sausage frozen by making trips to the ice dispenser. I have a studio booked at AKV (value) in October and the last time, we had a freezer, but I've read here that some didn't. I hope I can find out before I make my grocery order.

The CCV studio model had a freezer in the fridge! Of course no guarantee it ended up in the room but I made a point to look and then share with 2 guides that I was happy to see that. I was staying at VGF when I toured the CCV model and that fridge did not have a freezer which I was very unhappy with. The guides said that was good feedback on the freezer. :rolleyes: I believe the response has generally been that people wanted more refrigeration room. Might be a story but best that can be done is to let DVC know you want a freezer in the studio fridge and maybe that will be their future purchases.

None of our recent stays in the past couple of years in studios have had had freezers (mostly at SSR, OKW, Poly & AKV & I think BCV that I can remember). I hate that they're being removed. We did use them frequently. We get frozen waffles etc. and like to freeze "blue ice" to use in a cooler for the pool or water parks.

[QUOTE="carlbarry, post: 57937956, member]
So like I said, my work around is to put a bag of ice cubes in the refrigerator. Not only does this keep my food frozen, but the ice cubes last for days---and thus I am saving money for DVC![/QUOTE]

Great idea, thanks!

[QUOTE="carlbarry, post: 57937956, member]
So like I said, my work around is to put a bag of ice cubes in the refrigerator. Not only does this keep my food frozen, but the ice cubes last for days---and thus I am saving money for DVC!

Great idea, thanks![/QUOTE]
To be more specific: I put the food I want frozen up against the back/refrigerator coils, and put the bag of ice cubes against the other side (side facing door) of the food. And it's a lot more convenient than keep running to the ice machine! Kills two birds with one stone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter