FP+ help for a group of 25!

MrsMickeyZ

Earning My Ears
Hi! I am a Disney veteran, but I usually go with just my husband and our daughter. This time our group has slowly grown to over 25 people, just with various family members wanting to join. I am now worried about how FP+ reservations will work. I usually get up and do the FP+ at the 60 day mark, so I always get the ones I want and then pick up extras on the day-of. With this strategy I rarely have to wait in any lines.

Is that strategy feasible at all for larger groups? Do we have any hope for picking up day-of FP+?

Any other tips for such a large party?

TIA!

Last edited:
Personally, with that many people, I wouldn't even try to spend whole days together. It's difficult enough accommodating the interests of a small group. With 25, that sounds miserable. I'd plan for a meal and maybe a parade or show throughout the day together, but then let each individual family unit plan their own rest of the day. Have them make their own fast passes, because in all likelihood not everybody is going to want to do the same things at the same times, get to the parks at the same times, etc, and trying to move around the parks all day with 25 people is likely to be difficult. You might be lucky and be able to get FP for 25 people within a few mins of each other for certain rides, but for the popular ones, it will probably be much more difficult. As for same-day FP, again, you might luck out with stuff like the Little Mermaid or Nemo rides, but even that might be a stretch. If each family unit worries about their own FP, everyone is more likely to be able to do what they want and get same-day FP for their own little group for things they actually want to ride.

I strongly recommend that you don't take this all on yourself. I say this from personal experience when I was just planning a trip for my family unit and just 2 other family members. They insisted they were fine with whatever I wanted to do, wanted me to make all the plans, and gave zero input. They assured me they were just along to see the kids enjoy their first trip. I tried so hard to incorporate things that I thought they'd enjoy, even if it was stuff my family didn't really have an interest in. Overall, it didn't go so well. They didn't like how I planned each day, didn't want to get up in the mornings, we missed a couple of FP, an ADR (which cost ME $60 for the no-show fee), etc. They felt left out when my family of 4 went on rides all in the same row and they had to sit in front of or behind us because the kids wanted to sit with us while experiencing a ride for the first time. Overall, they felt like I was herding them like cattle through the parks, didn't understand why we had to go to a FP or ADR now when they'd rather do whatever else (but still wanted to do the FP and ADRs at another time), and I felt like all of my hard work that went into planning and trying to incorporate things they'd like went unappreciated.

While I am sure many families are much more go with the flow, it is still going to be hard to make that many people happy on a trip, and it would be a huge undertaking to try to plan it all.

Personally, with that many people, I wouldn't even try to spend whole days together. It's difficult enough accommodating the interests of a small group. With 25, that sounds miserable. I'd plan for a meal and maybe a parade or show throughout the day together, but then let each individual family unit plan their own rest of the day. Have them make their own fast passes, because in all likelihood not everybody is going to want to do the same things at the same times, get to the parks at the same times, etc, and trying to move around the parks all day with 25 people is likely to be difficult. You might be lucky and be able to get FP for 25 people within a few mins of each other for certain rides, but for the popular ones, it will probably be much more difficult. As for same-day FP, again, you might luck out with stuff like the Little Mermaid or Nemo rides, but even that might be a stretch. If each family unit worries about their own FP, everyone is more likely to be able to do what they want and get same-day FP for their own little group for things they actually want to ride.

I strongly recommend that you don't take this all on yourself. I say this from personal experience when I was just planning a trip for my family unit and just 2 other family members. They insisted they were fine with whatever I wanted to do, wanted me to make all the plans, and gave zero input. They assured me they were just along to see the kids enjoy their first trip. I tried so hard to incorporate things that I thought they'd enjoy, even if it was stuff my family didn't really have an interest in. Overall, it didn't go so well. They didn't like how I planned each day, didn't want to get up in the mornings, we missed a couple of FP, an ADR (which cost ME $60 for the no-show fee), etc. They felt left out when my family of 4 went on rides all in the same row and they had to sit in front of or behind us because the kids wanted to sit with us while experiencing a ride for the first time. Overall, they felt like I was herding them like cattle through the parks, didn't understand why we had to go to a FP or ADR now when they'd rather do whatever else (but still wanted to do the FP and ADRs at another time), and I felt like all of my hard work that went into planning and trying to incorporate things they'd like went unappreciated.

While I am sure many families are much more go with the flow, it is still going to be hard to make that many people happy on a trip, and it would be a huge undertaking to try to plan it all.

Uh...this!! :thumbsup2 Focus on your family and let the others focus on theirs. Making your FP ressies will be much less of a headache .:crowded: Good luck!

Agree with the PP--you are only asking for trouble, in your kindness of doing this for everyone.

If you have some newbies in your humongous group, you might want to consider sending out a group e-mail, explaining FP, how it works, how to book, which rides are popular, and a rough idea of your choices. Be clear that every family unit will have to book their own, and they're free to make different choices than you are making.

Honestly, with a group that size, I would plan more to be doing the same park on the same day, and leaving everything else up to the different groups. Stuff like ADRs and transportation would be a nightmare to coordinate. I would maybe do 1 or 2 group meals over the entire vacation--Chef Mickey's? Biergarten? Crystal Palace? (buffets are great for a wide variety of tastes).

Wow that’s obnoxious. If one is not willing to plan then one’s main job is to not complain. But I agree, I had a hard enough time keeping my family of 4 happy. My hubs just let go and followed along. Kids too mostly but they get cranky. We didn’t invite anyone else as this was our first big trip and I wasn’t sure how much planning I could deal with.

Agreed, maybe ask for input from other families on big things, ie which parks are must do’s, offer a recommended itinerary (loose, ie what parks when, when the fireworks are, maybe a show together), maybe plan one big dinner together and request solid confirmation for those who want to go and THEY pay cancellation fees if they no show.

Maybe plan a resort day where people can come and go and hang out for a while, go to the parks if they want and your family can relax.

I wish I planned a resort day.

I agree, and I am angry for you! Yikes!

OP- this is just too large a group to make firm plans for all of you at the same time. I would go as far as to plan park days and then share a general itinerary. Suggest where and when you are dining or planning to FP an attraction for those interested, but let them make their own ADR's and FP. I plan for my family of 9 and while I am willing to make ADR's and FP for everyone if they wish, I am not going to be responsible for their enjoyment.

I also have to underline that it is not possible to keep a group that large together, even if you all were in lockstep in terms of meals, ADR's and FP. Logistically it would be a nightmare. Factor on bathroom break and the breakdown begins, add a water break, a shopping detour, OMG you are in the weeds.

Wow, 25?! That's some group! Are you guys going to be able to get a group discount? It might be worth looking into!

I don't think that many rides could handle 25 people at once. If you tried to do the same rides at the same time, you'd only get to do about 1/3 of what you could otherwise do. You'd spend most of your time waiting for the rest of your group to get through the rides. And go to the bathroom. And grab a post card at a gift shop. And get a quick snack.

It would be nice to plan to be in the same park on the same day so you could serendipitously meet with members of your group. Doing some meals together sounds good. If I were you, I'd probably chat casually with people about what they want to do and how they envision this group thing going. Do they want to be in the same park on the same days? Do any shows together? Do meals together? How many? Etc. I'd plan out what park on what day and email it out, asking if anyone had any suggestions or if this rough schedule sounded good. (If your friends and family are like mine, this will be met with radio silence.) Then, I'd make my plans for my family, and send an email blast out noting that this is what we're doing, let us know if you want to join us for anything so we can coordinate, and let me know if you need any input or advice while you're making plans for your families. I'd also note the need to plan and book early for ADRs and FPs. If someone reached out and wanted to join for a specific part, I'd work with them. If someone didn't respond at all, then they're on their own. If someone joined our plan but wasn't happy with it while in the park, I'd let them know that we were happy to split up for a while and meet up again later.

Not the same thing, but back in the days before kids my DH and I went to San Francisco for a wedding. We stayed for an extra day to tour a bit, as did a number of DH's friends. I had a long list of things I was excited to do. We reached out to DH's friends and asked if they wanted to join us touring the city. We didn't say exactly what we'd be doing, but we did list out a bunch of options. I wanted to do more than would fit into the day, so I figured that we'd see what most people wanted to tour and take it from there. We did go to Alcatraz, but after that DH's friends ended up commandeering the day into a card party in the hotel lobby. (And I don't play cards.) I was frustrated that I was in this amazing city and I was stuck wasting the day in a hotel lobby. I'm betting DH's friends were frustrated that his DW kept trying to suggest different places to visit when they just wanted to catch up with friends over a card game.

Overall, I think it's important that everyone is on the same page. In my example, obviously different people had different visions of the day, different expectations of what we'd do, and different goals about what to get out of the day. We would have been much better off if we'd communicated beforehand and made a general plan about what we were going to do. I had a friend who lived in San Francisco that I could have visited while they played cards if we had planned ahead.

A resort day would be a great, casual way to be in the same place and get some downtime. Are you going to do a waterpark? That seems like a place that you could all go at the same time, and a good number of people go do at least some stuff together. Easier for 20+ people to go into a wave pool together than on SDMT at the same time!

GL!

I agree, and I am angry for you! Yikes!

OP- this is just too large a group to make firm plans for all of you at the same time. I would go as far as to plan park days and then share a general itinerary. Suggest where and when you are dining or planning to FP an attraction for those interested, but let them make their own ADR's and FP. I plan for my family of 9 and while I am willing to make ADR's and FP for everyone if they wish, I am not going to be responsible for their enjoyment.

I also have to underline that it is not possible to keep a group that large together, even if you all were in lockstep in terms of meals, ADR's and FP. Logistically it would be a nightmare. Factor on bathroom break and the breakdown begins, add a water break, a shopping detour, OMG you are in the weeds.

.....in the weeds!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Someone was in the restaurant industry!!! :rotfl::rotfl:

I would plan out what you are going to try to book as FP and then share the plan with the group. Let them know they can try to book similar FP at the same time or do something on their own. You also might try to plan out certain "lands" for each part of the day for the group. Like Day 1 AM will be in Fantasyland. Lunch around Frontierland and afternoon rides in Adventure Land and Frontier Land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter