FP TIER changes at DHS as of August 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first articles I read on the 6am opening only mentioned the Toy Story Land rides and Galaxy's Edge. My assumption was that TOT and RRC might not be included.

It would probably be easier on the CMs if that were the case. It would be nice for WDW to make something clear, but we all know they are incapable of it.

The first articles I read on the 6am opening only mentioned the Toy Story Land rides and Galaxy's Edge. My assumption was that TOT and RRC might not be included.
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios — Daily from Sept. 1-Nov. 2, the park will have Extra, Extra Magic Hours from 6-9 a.m., including Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, plus Toy Story Land attractions and select other attractions. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences subject to capacity.

Edit to add quote from Disney Parks Blog:
That does say "select other attractions" so maybe that includes RnR and ToT

Was planning a trip for Thanksgiving but may reconsider as DHS would be a complete waste of time to go to with crowds at that time.

So you would cancel your entire trip because of two rides at Hollywood Studios are now tier one Fastpasses?
I think the point was that between the crowds, and the tier 1 system, and and having to use the other fp on shows (or star tours if you can get it) the poster would rather go at another time. The implications of all but one ride being tier 1 are big for some families. Not everyone wants to hear the frozen sing a long or watch toddlers dance with their favourite tv buddies, (No offence to families with small children, but lots of us are way passed that stage), and let's face it Indy got old a long long time ago. The only shows I'm interested in there are B&B and the Muppets just for fun and a rest in the a/c. I also get very stressed dealing with huge crowds. If things don't change back I'd probably just avoid the Studios, but it could be a deal breaker for some. Hopefully it doesn't increase attendance at the other parks by much. I'm not going until February, that's plenty of time to see what actually happens.

until ToT reduced to half capacity we got it same day easily
We got RnR same day last week
All I meant was if all the rides end up as tier 1 I am not certain it's the disaster that so many others think it is
Might it be? Sure. Might it work out? Sure.
But just tossing some guessing numbers out to have easy numbers but let's say we had 3 t1 rides before, with 1000 FP reach, so 3000 FP a day. Now we are looking at adding in what, 2000 more t1 FP to that mix. By adding in 2 more rides. The guests can still only book 1 in advance. So they'll be trying for those extras as a 4th now, right? All but Slinky may be available. And ToT if they don't get it fully operating

It's sort of how it goes at Epcot now. Soarin and TT are rather easy to get most days as a 4th

Seems I'm not the only one thinking along these lines
https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/h...rld-plus-tower-of-terror-capacity-reductions/
I am one of those people who think s that HS is a half day park. Our average HS stay would be to get there around 10:00 have a 9:30 fp to tot, a 10:30 fp to RR and an 11:30 fp to slinky. We could easily be walking out of the park by noon, go back to the hotel for a while, get some lunch then hit another park that night.

The problem will be if we have to actually tap and not just load the 2 tier 2 passes. We would get to the park at 10:00 tap our first useless fp, walk around waiting to tap our second useless fp tap the one at 10:30, walk around for another hour waiting the the 1 ride we want to go on tap and use that one at 11:30. Let’s say you right and the app says there is availability for tot or RR at 1:30, what do we do for 2 hours? We have already walked around seeing everything we want to see while waiting for our 1 and only fast pass.
I just see how this would work if the posters here are correct and we have to actually scan the 2 fast passes we aren’t going to use.

This seems to imply that TOT and RRC won’t be open for EEMH. In my plans I’d sort of assumed that they would be. Any ideas on when we’ll find out for sure? Will it be when the EEMH start or (hopefully!) before? Knowing this will make a massive difference as to how I deal with the changes in tiers.
No, you misunderstand. His plan wasn't written that way because those rides aren't open for EEMH. That's just how he suggests using your time wisely. It has nothing to do with what rides open when.

• Disney’s Hollywood Studios — Daily from Sept. 1-Nov. 2, the park will have Extra, Extra Magic Hours from 6-9 a.m., including Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, plus Toy Story Land attractions and select other attractions. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences subject to capacity.

Edit to add quote from Disney Parks Blog:
Nah, that's common Disney speak. Just like they use the phrase "select Disney hotels" when referring to who's admitted to EMH. We all know that every Disney owned resort is admitted to EMH. They aren't going to eliminate access to some. But every time someone reads that someone asks the question "does this mean X resort isn't going to get in?"
Select other attractions is their way of giving themselves an out when something is down, since they can't predict the future and know what will be not functioning. It's way easier on them to not list everything. But that by no means indicates that RnR or ToT won't be included. If anything is not included it will be shows. Since those take so many guests to be worth putting on. It's why for instance, Monster's Inc or Belle aren't held during EMH or DAH at MK.

I am one of those people who think s that HS is a half day park. Our average HS stay would be to get there around 10:00 have a 9:30 fp to tot, a 10:30 fp to RR and an 11:30 fp to slinky. We could easily be walking out of the park by noon, go back to the hotel for a while, get some lunch then hit another park that night.

The problem will be if we have to actually tap and not just load the 2 tier 2 passes. We would get to the park at 10:00 tap our first useless fp, walk around waiting to tap our second useless fp tap the one at 10:30, walk around for another hour waiting the the 1 ride we want to go on tap and use that one at 11:30. Let’s say you right and the app says there is availability for tot or RR at 1:30, what do we do for 2 hours? We have already walked around seeing everything we want to see while waiting for our 1 and only fast pass.
I just see how this would work if the posters here are correct and we have to actually scan the 2 fast passes we aren’t going to use.
I don't know why folks think you have to scan for FP you don't want to use. I never do. Didn't several times last week, well close to week before last now, we came home last Monday. We skipped a bunch of FP and were able to get additional no problems. I've actually never done a tap and run, never had to. So that whole bit was confusing me and honestly, I sipped reading all those posts because they made no sense.

I have to admit I'm not thrilled with this. We're going to have to pick TOT because it's my step sons one must do ride in all of WDW. We'll probably pick Indiana Jones for our 2nd because it's our favorite show and the others don't appeal to the boys who are 12 and 17.
and I guess Star tours will be 3rd because it's the only non-ride option.

Hopefully, we can get them early enough to try and get more ride FP's later in the day.

We don't go until December so I'm hoping they have changed this by then or they will have a DAH that we can buy. To be honest, I'm not excited for our HS day.

I don't know why folks think you have to scan for FP you don't want to use. I never do. Didn't several times last week, well close to week before last now, we came home last Monday. We skipped a bunch of FP and were able to get additional no problems. I've actually never done a tap and run, never had to. So that whole bit was confusing me and honestly, I sipped reading all those posts because they made no sense.
2 reasons to tap a FP. First, they don't always fall off when letting them expire. Second, and the reason I would do it, is so that I have my first 3 FP's done as close to park open as possible. We arrive around park open so there is no time to just let FP's expire. We want to be able to start adding additional tier 1 FP's as soon as possible. When you're adding those in the early hours of the day there is a lot of availability and less competition for those FP's.

2 reasons to tap a FP. First, they don't always fall off when letting them expire. Second, and the reason I would do it, is so that I have my first 3 FP's done as close to park open as possible. We arrive around park open so there is no time to just let FP's expire. We want to be able to start adding additional tier 1 FP's as soon as possible. When you're adding those in the early hours of the day there is a lot of availability and less competition for those FP's.
Oh ok. Our expired always fall off. We've had hundreds fine that way. And we rarely rope drop. DH is allergic to it, lol
So we book those throw away rides while he sleeps in

What we did last year at DHS is FP only one ride. We couldn't get SDD so we got a FP for TSM. We went for RD, rode SDD, then used our TSM FP. As soon as I tapped into TSM, I got a FP for AK and proceeded to park hop. I've never done a tap and run, either. There is no need to have throwaway FPs, unless it won't allow you to make a Tier 1 FP at the same park after tapping into one. I'm not sure about that one but would love to know.

What we did last year at DHS is FP only one ride. We couldn't get SDD so we got a FP for TSM. We went for RD, rode SDD, then used our TSM FP. As soon as I tapped into TSM, I got a FP for AK and proceeded to park hop. I've never done a tap and run, either. There is no need to have throwaway FPs, unless it won't allow you to make a Tier 1 FP at the same park after tapping into one. I'm not sure about that one but would love to know.

If you plan to stay in one tiered park all day you must use 3 FPs before grabbing another tier 1 in that park.

If you plan to hop you do not need to pre-book 3 FPs in the first park. As an example, we had FoP booked at AK. Once we hit the 2nd tap we booked TSMM for HS (This was before TSL opened).

If you're staying in the same park you would have to use two Tier 2 FP's before being able to add another Tier 1. That's why either having FP's expire (assuming they fall off) or tapping them out can be beneficial.

We only have one HS day in September. We originally booked early September because we thought we'd be safe from SWGE opening. But now that it's opening 4 days before we arrive. We had planned on doing EMH and going straight to SWGE and staying there until we were done and then have FP booked for later in the day, try to get SDD, ToT, and RnR. Since that's not gonna happen, we need to rethink our whole strategy. Now I'm thinking that we RD the rides and still try and make it to SWGE before EMH ends and other park guests are let in 🤷‍♀️ Need to talk to my friend and figure it out.

If you plan to stay in one tiered park all day you must use 3 FPs before grabbing another tier 1 in that park.

If you plan to hop you do not need to pre-book 3 FPs in the first park. As an example, we had FoP booked at AK. Once we hit the 2nd tap we booked TSMM for HS (This was before TSL opened).
If you're staying in the same park you would have to use two Tier 2 FP's before being able to add another Tier 1. That's why either having FP's expire (assuming they fall off) or tapping them out can be beneficial.
Thanks. That's good to know. I think I'll still plan on getting one FP at DHS for our trip in November, and then trying to get more FPs for MK once we tap into that one. We have no desire to do any of the Tier 2 ones, and we don't want to have to hang out at DHS waiting for throwaway FPs to expire with only the possibility a Tier 1 will be available afterwards.

Thanks. That's good to know. I think I'll still plan on getting one FP at DHS for our trip in November, and then trying to get more FPs for MK once we tap into that one. We have no desire to do any of the Tier 2 ones, and we don't want to have to hang out at DHS waiting for throwaway FPs to expire.
You don't have to wait. Use your tier 1 then grab a tier 2 for a close time. Go tap it and repeat. Now you can make more tier 1 FP's.

You don't have to wait. Use your tier 1 then grab a tier 2 for a close time. Go tap it and repeat. Now you can make more tier 1 FP's.
So the strategy would be to grab one close in proximity to where your first one is, correct? Otherwise, you would waste time running back and forth in the park. Hmmm. So if someone had a FP for TSM, they could RD SDD and then as soon as they tap into TSM, they could make FP for VoLM for right after, tap into it, and then immediately make a FP for BatB for right after that. After tapping into it, one could make a FP for ToT, and if there is a need to wait, can ride RnRC first. Is that how it could work? Then after tapping into ToT FP, a FP for MK could be made. Would that be the smartest way to do TSM, SDD, ToT, and RnRC? Those will be the only ones my crew will be interested in--unless they want to do ST, but that could be one we book in advance since it's Tier 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter