FP+ and Rider Swap

Nuclear Monkey

Mouseketeer
The last discussion I saw on this was when the one hour return restriction came into being. What’s the latest on the need for both adults to have a FP reservation for rider swap? Is it still ymmv or is there consistency now?

When I was there in September they did not require the person staying behind on the riderswap to have a fastpass with the exception of one ride. They questioned it but it was like our 4th fastpass of the day and when we explained we had done it this way all day they just let us through as well. I was traveling with a very young infant so most of the rides he was way too little to handle.

Only the initial group riding needs FP. Three people get to return. Those 3 do not need to have FP. If someone in the initial group wants to ride again as one of the 3, he/she gets to go twice.

So if you just have 2 people + baby, only 1 of the adults needs a FP for any ride that does rider swap? Sounds too good to be true so just making sure I understand correctly!

So if you just have 2 people + baby, only 1 of the adults needs a FP for any ride that does rider swap? Sounds too good to be true so just making sure I understand correctly!
Correct. Adult 1 has a FP, Adult 2 does not. The party approaches a cast member at the ride opening, shows the baby, and a digital rider swap pass is added to Adult 2's magic band. Adult 2 can then enter the ride through the FP line during the return window. If adult 1 does not have fp and goes in the standby line, same thing.

I want to do this for Pandora with my 22yo son who can’t ride it. He uses a wheelchair and those rides require transfer out, which is not practical or safe for him. I will be with 2 other people, so will get a swap to use when they come out and can wait with my son. So glad this is an option.

We were there in June. At every single ride that we requested Rider Swap for, this was what they asked:

1. Who will be riding twice? (If you have kids tall enough to ride)
2. Do you have a FP for the attraction?

Even if we all didnt have FP, we always answered yes. This worked most of the time, and the person without the FP was provided with a Rider Swap. However, on our last day at Everest when I said I had a FP, the CM said that I wouldn't need the Rider Swap, so didn't give me one. This is the only time it backfired.

I'm not sure if anyone else has other recent experience, but for us it worked most of the time. Is there any other strategies on how to answer those questions to ensure you always get a Rider Swap?

I want to do this for Pandora with my 22yo son who can’t ride it.

Just be aware that they may use an alternative swap since he is adult. For those who are “tall enough” for the queue, they may require all party members to enter the queue and do a “swap” at/near boarding. I haven't heard if this is done at FoP but some other rides definitely will not give the digital pass if the non-rider can enter the queue. Only those with little ones who are not allowed into the queue are granted the digital Rider Swap.

Enjoy your vacation!

For those who are “tall enough” for the queue, they may require all party members to enter the queue and do a “swap” at/near boarding.
As long as the wheelchair can do the lines, we should be OK. I think I’ve seen a waiting area in one ride before. I will check the disability forum too.

Any new reports? Does this technique still work. I'm working on our FP+ and trying to decide to risk only having half the group with FP+ and using child swap for the other half.

It worked this way for my family last February. I think the general consensus is that it usually works, but every once in a while it does not work. Depends on the CM.

I'm going back in November and have my FPs set up to use the same strategy. I will report back on how it goes.

Today at SDMT was the first time we’d been told that both riders needed a FP and that this time he would do it but in future both riders needed a FP.
When I politely asked why would we need rider switch if both of us had a FP he told me that they would then be able to swap the FP for a rider switch that would not have an expiration time....

This method did not work for us today at 7DMT. Party of 5, one too young to ride. I had booked two fast passes. Was told we all needed fast passes. I even went to guest services to clarify. This is a big bummer bc all my fast passes for this week were planned using this method, and now it looks like only 2 from our party will get to ride with FP :(

This method did not work for us today at 7DMT. Party of 5, one too young to ride. I had booked two fast passes. Was told we all needed fast passes. I even went to guest services to clarify. This is a big bummer bc all my fast passes for this week were planned using this method, and now it looks like only 2 from our party will get to ride with FP :(
Looks like 7DMT is holding up the policy. How about your FP+ today?

It worked this way for my family last February. I think the general consensus is that it usually works, but every once in a while it does not work. Depends on the CM.

I'm going back in November and have my FPs set up to use the same strategy. I will report back on how it goes.
My trip is November as well. My FP+ day is Wednesday...

Please let us know how things work out for the rest of your trip. Interested to hear if this is just one CM enforcing this or a possible policy change for everything.

Today at SDMT was the first time we’d been told that both riders needed a FP and that this time he would do it but in future both riders needed a FP.
When I politely asked why would we need rider switch if both of us had a FP he told me that they would then be able to swap the FP for a rider switch that would not have an expiration time....

Thanks for the update. When you say this was the first time you had been told both riders needed it, does that imply that both riders did not need it on your previous attempts at other rides? If that's the case, which rides did they give you the swap without Group 2 having FP?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter