Fort wilderness cabins questions

Absolutely not. I've known about the parking fees since they were established. What I'm shocked about is each cabin has their own driveway so why would they have to pay for parking? When you make your reservation for the cabin, as far as I'm concerned, the driveway is part of the reservation you are paying for. If Disney wants to charge hotel guests to park daily in their parking lots I can understand that, but please no one should be charged a parking fee to park in a driveway that comes specifically with the unit you are paying for.
Why would it be different at a cabin vs. a resort? Just because it has a driveway? That logic makes no sense. All "units" comes with a parking space, if that's how you want to view it. Some simply a different type of parking space, closer to the unit. But still just a parking space, just like the one someone would use at say, Poly or Pop. If Poly or Pop guests had to pay to park I see no reason at all that someone at a cabin wouldn't.

Why would it be different at a cabin vs. a resort? Just because it has a driveway? That logic makes no sense. All "units" comes with a parking space, if that's how you want to view it. Some simply a different type of parking space, closer to the unit. But still just a parking space, just like the one someone would use at say, Poly or Pop. If Poly or Pop guests had to pay to park I see no reason at all that someone at a cabin wouldn't.

Then explain to me why campsites don't have to pay to park? And I don't mean for an RV, trailer or tent, but if you also have a passenger vehicle why don't you have to pay to park that at your site? Surely that should have to be a parking fee shouldn't it? I see no reason at all that someone at a campsite wouldn't pay for parking.

Then explain to me why campsites don't have to pay to park? And I don't mean for an RV, trailer or tent, but if you also have a passenger vehicle why don't you have to pay to park that at your site? Surely that should have to be a parking fee shouldn't it? I see no reason at all that someone at a campsite wouldn't pay for parking.
Why? Because they are being nice. They could charge fees to park there too, of course. They don't. Can doing it and doing it are two very different things.
Realize too I never said they couldn't charges for parking only said I can see why they don't and can see how they are classified differently. Campsites are different in that you need to drive your camper (or gear) to the campsite (majority of the time).
So bottom line, I think they don't charge because they realize it's a different demographic of guest there.
In the regular resort rooms (which includes Cabins at FW) you have as many who fly as you do why drive (or potentially at least, no idea of the actual numbers) so the parking fee only impacts those who drive, which isn't EVERY guest.
In the campsites, I'd say you have a very small numbers who fly in and rent them, and have no car. So the parking fee would likely impact EVERY guest.
That's why I think Disney does it different.

If you are a DVC member staying on a points or cash reservation for the cabins parking is free. If you are not at DVC member but you are using a DVC members points to stay in a cabin your parking is free.
Not to derail this whole thread, but I didn't realize that DVC members can use their DVC points to stay in regular hotel rooms (like cabins) at Disney? I've done it the other way around - a regular guest using cash to get a DVC villa at rack rate - but I didn't realize you could use points to get a non-villa room.
Learn something new every day.

Why? Because they are being nice. They could charge fees to park there too, of course. They don't. Can doing it and doing it are two very different things.
Realize too I never said they couldn't charges for parking only said I can see why they don't and can see how they are classified differently. Campsites are different in that you need to drive your camper (or gear) to the campsite (majority of the time).
So bottom line, I think they don't charge because they realize it's a different demographic of guest there.
In the regular resort rooms (which includes Cabins at FW) you have as many who fly as you do why drive (or potentially at least, no idea of the actual numbers) so the parking fee only impacts those who drive, which isn't EVERY guest.
In the campsites, I'd say you have a very small numbers who fly in and rent them, and have no car. So the parking fee would likely impact EVERY guest.
That's why I think Disney does it different.

If you believe what you wrote in that post then I think it's just better to agree to disagree.

If you believe what you wrote in that post then I think it's just better to agree to disagree.
Explain? It's fine to disagree. I never said I was right. I only gave a logical explanation. Are you saying it's not a logical explanation? That they can't charge parking at the campsites if they want to?

Not to derail this whole thread, but I didn't realize that DVC members can use their DVC points to stay in regular hotel rooms (like cabins) at Disney? I've done it the other way around - a regular guest using cash to get a DVC villa at rack rate - but I didn't realize you could use points to get a non-villa room.
Yep, they can redeem points and rent regular rooms. I believe it's usually a poor use of points but they can do it. (take the tour, they'll explain it all to you, and you'll get 3 free anytime FP)

Thanks, Angi, I took a tour years ago when they opened Boardwalk Villas. We're usually FW cabins people, so I've never really considered it.
But now I vaguely remember reading about how using points like that wouldn't be very cost effective.

Back to the main thread, I can totally understand OP's logic. We had already booked our spring '18 cabin stay when the parking fee went into effect, so we were grandfathered in and didn't have to pay it. I was excited when I read that FW was going to be an exception to the policy - then I saw it was just for campsites. But even going forward, we'll still bring a car and pay the parking fee, because we like the convenience of parking right by our cabin and being able to park for free at the theme parks. I'm glad the cabins are classified moderates, with the lower fee.

I'd really be miffed if I were staying at a deluxe, monorail resort like Poly or Contemporary, had to pay a higher fee, park in some big parking lot, and might have to search for a spot due to resort day visitors.

Thanks, Angi, I took a tour years ago when they opened Boardwalk Villas. We're usually FW cabins people, so I've never really considered it.
But now I vaguely remember reading about how using points like that wouldn't be very cost effective.

Back to the main thread, I can totally understand OP's logic. We had already booked our spring '18 cabin stay when the parking fee went into effect, so we were grandfathered in and didn't have to pay it. I was excited when I read that FW was going to be an exception to the policy - then I saw it was just for campsites. But even going forward, we'll still bring a car and pay the parking fee, because we like the convenience of parking right by our cabin and being able to park for free at the theme parks. I'm glad the cabins are classified moderates, with the lower fee.

I'd really be miffed if I were staying at a deluxe, monorail resort like Poly or Contemporary, had to pay a higher fee, park in some big parking lot, and might have to search for a spot due to resort day visitors.

You are right I think some deluxe guests (even those staying on DVC points who don’t pay parking fees) with vehicles are upset because the resort day visitors aren’t paying to shop and eat. I think the resort day visitors have to have an ADR though in certain days or time of days. It apparently varies widely. Thanks.

As an RV owner, I'm going to guess that it is because a tow vehicle is required for those camping in a towable unit, such as a pop-up, tear-drop, travel trailer, or fifth wheel.

Having said that, I do find it ridiculous that Disney is charging a parking fee to people staying at their resorts and arriving in their personal vehicles. I understand that many other resorts in other areas do this, but it seems complimentary guest parking should be lumped in as a benefit of being an on-site guest.

As an RV owner, I'm going to guess that it is because a tow vehicle is required for those camping in a towable unit, such as a pop-up, tear-drop, travel trailer, or fifth wheel.

Having said that, I do find it ridiculous that Disney is charging a parking fee to people staying at their resorts and arriving in their personal vehicles. I understand that many other resorts in other areas do this, but it seems complimentary guest parking should be lumped in as a benefit of being an on-site guest.

I had meant for those with RV's that tow a car behind it to use once they get to WDW. Why don't they have to pay for parking fees?

I had meant for those with RV's that tow a car behind it to use once they get to WDW. Why don't they have to pay for parking fees?
It's just the reverse of driving the car towing the trailer. But, in all seriousness, you could write to Disney and ask why. You may get them to rethink it.

Maybe it's because the Fort is the only resort where you'd need to take a bus to get to your car (or walk up to a mile).

Maybe it's because the Fort is the only resort where you'd need to take a bus to get to your car (or walk up to a mile).

But if you stay in a Cabin in the Fort you are charged for parking and you also have to take the bus or walk.

The Cabins are considered equivalent to a Moderate resort. The campgrounds are considered camping.

It's just the reverse of driving the car towing the trailer. But, in all seriousness, you could write to Disney and ask why. You may get them to rethink it.
I'm not entirely sure. I would imagine it has to do with staying with what is customary or acceptable in the campground industry. For example, I have never heard of a campground that charged a parking fee to a motor home with a toad, nor a travel trailer with tow vehicle. I have, however, heard of campgrounds charging additional parking fees for cars in access of the one that was attached to the trailer or motor home for the journey. And Fort Wilderness does this, I believe.
For example, for our upcoming trip, we will not be charged a parking fee for our travel trailer and truck. If we were to bring our other vehicle, we would be charged a fee for that.

Yep you can use DVC point to stay at non dvc resort but it takes a lot more points to stay in those rooms.

Seeing how you don't get a room with a campsite isn't that basically what you're paying for... a big parking spot :confused3
lol, pretty much. You're paying for a parking spot that can cost up to $200 per night during certain times of the year. You do get water, electricity, and sewer service, however.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter