Fort Benning, Georgia ??'s

bunny213

DIS Veteran
My daughter, hubby (Air Force) and 7 kiddos are moving from McDill in Tampa to Fort Benning in Georgia...has anyone been there? What's it like?
Can anyone fill us in? TIA - barb

We're here now - PCSed this summer. What would you like to know?

Are they going to be living on post or looking for housing off post? Do they homeschool or do you need info on public schools? We chose to live off post due to the crime rate on post. You can get quite a bit of house for your BAH around here since housing prices are so low - much nicer than what you can get on post. Schools are hit or miss - you really have to do your research.

Columbus is a much smaller town than Tampa and definitely more Southern. There is a nice area that the teenagers call the "strip mall" that has all of the chain restaurants and shopping - Chili's, Fridays, Olive Garden, Smokey Bones, Red Robin, Sonic, Buffalo Wild Wings, Hooters, etc.. There are a couple of big, newer movie theaters, roller skating rink and an ice rink that should be opening pretty soon.

Feel free to PM me for any specifics. We researched the schools on both the GA and AL side and went for the GA schools mainly because our oldest will graduate while we are here and she would be eligible for the HOPE scholarship.

DD12's best friend here is an Air Force kid from a large family too. They live out near us (about 30-35 minutes off post depending on traffic) along with several other military families. It's a nice, up and coming area and still close enough to everything you need.

Benning has a relatively new PX mall with a food court and a Commissary. They are building a new Commissary but not sure when that will be open. The post itself is huge - I still get lost getting around in the back areas.

I was born and raised in the area to a mother who worked on Benning for more than 30 years, ask away. And Dh is currently in the reserves at Benning, that is where we met when he was active duty.

Haven't heard about a new Commissary, Clarabelle, where can I find out about that. I know they have started the hospital, but was told no new Commissary, but even though ours is nice, they need a new one.

Didn't know crime was bad on post.

We live in Alabama, alot less expensive housing wise than Georgia and really good schools.

Suzanne

I was born and raised in the area to a mother who worked on Benning for more than 30 years, ask away. And Dh is currently in the reserves at Benning, that is where we met when he was active duty.

Haven't heard about a new Commissary, Clarabelle, where can I find out about that. I know they have started the hospital, but was told no new Commissary, but even though ours is nice, they need a new one.

Didn't know crime was bad on post.

We live in Alabama, alot less expensive housing wise than Georgia and really good schools.

Suzanne

DH said he thinks the new Commissary is being built over by Harmony Church.

There have been several incidents on post with home break-ins, theft, peeping toms, etc... - probably no more than in the surrounding off post areas but I think we have a false sense of security on post and expect to be "safer".

DH said he thinks the new Commissary is being built over by Harmony Church.

There have been several incidents on post with home break-ins, theft, peeping toms, etc... - probably no more than in the surrounding off post areas but I think we have a false sense of security on post and expect to be "safer".

DH said he hasn't heard anything about a new Commissary, since before the new Px was built. He said he didn't see anything over by Harmony Church, not sure, I haven't been over in that area, his unit is over in that area.

I can't imagine why they would build it away from the Px :confused3

Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!