For those who RECENTLY rented from Alamo @ MCO....

So, if I book a Standard - I will get a Full Size since everyone is saying Alamo @ MCO doesn't have "standard", and if I don't like what is Full Size - there shouldn't be a problem to downgrade to mid-size (mid-size is lower than full-size/standard?). Trying to find something affordable, but really require a mini-van.

Thanks!

So, if I book a Standard - I will get a Full Size since everyone is saying Alamo @ MCO doesn't have "standard", and if I don't like what is Full Size - there shouldn't be a problem to downgrade to mid-size (mid-size is lower than full-size/standard?). Trying to find something affordable, but really require a mini-van.

Thanks!
If you really NEED a minivan, you should really just book one.

That being said, if you could MANAGE with a Full Size car, then this can be a good way to go (and maybe get an upgrade). You MAY get lucky and find something larger in the FS aisle.
From our visits over the years, MCO often has SUV's, CUV's and occasionally Mini-vans in the FS aisle.
If you visit during busy "family" time periods (summer vacation, spring break, Christmas etc.), mini-vans and SUV/CUVs show up occasionally, but the FS aisle is typically mostly FS cars.
If you are visiting during other times of the year these "higher" category vehicles show up more often in the FS aisle.

I currently have a mid size rental that I picked up on Saturday morning at 6am. There were about 4 Chevy mid size cars in the aisle, a Hyundai Elantra, and 2 Nissan Sentras. I took one of the Nissans that had 5500 or so. First time the aisle had only cars that are mid size, which I wanted. Usually the aisle has the only had 2 or 3 mid size cars and then all mini vans of vans of some sort.

Well its time for me to reserve for August 2018. Looks like my dates will be 8/3 - 8/18....so I have still been following this thread. I am anxious to see what is being offered when the spring/summer season hits. Time for me to really start paying attention to this thread again!! :surfweb:

Thanks to everyone who comes back and lets us know what they got !!! :thumbsup2

Very interested in this thread; thanks for starting and reviving!
My family will need to rent a vehicle this year; have never done so before. Looking to pick up/drop off at MCO, and leaning toward Alamo as they have Car Care center onsite in case of issues, and I like the idea of choosing car from aisle options. I've read through thread and it sounds like I could reserve standard size vehicle -- which will get me full size, as there is no standard aisle -- and possibly luck out with a minivan, which is what we would prefer. However, we are traveling in July and I read that summer may be lower chances of this gamble paying off. So of course I could reserve minivan outright (but at higher $$). Anyone have any other suggestions for other booking categories we would fit in that would be affordable options? Thanks in advance for any help!
  • 6 Passengers (one senior, two adults, three DDs of 18, 15 & 13)
  • Probably 6 mid-sized suitcases & 6 carry-ons for trip to/from airport (otherwise won't need to transport luggage or beach gear, etc.)
  • I could check rates at BJs; don't have a Costco membership

Very interested in this thread; thanks for starting and reviving!
My family will need to rent a vehicle this year; have never done so before. Looking to pick up/drop off at MCO, and leaning toward Alamo as they have Car Care center onsite in case of issues, and I like the idea of choosing car from aisle options. I've read through thread and it sounds like I could reserve standard size vehicle -- which will get me full size, as there is no standard aisle -- and possibly luck out with a minivan, which is what we would prefer. However, we are traveling in July and I read that summer may be lower chances of this gamble paying off. So of course I could reserve minivan outright (but at higher $$). Anyone have any other suggestions for other booking categories we would fit in that would be affordable options? Thanks in advance for any help!
  • 6 Passengers (one senior, two adults, three DDs of 18, 15 & 13)
  • Probably 6 mid-sized suitcases & 6 carry-ons for trip to/from airport (otherwise won't need to transport luggage or beach gear, etc.)
  • I could check rates at BJs; don't have a Costco membership

I suggest having two reservations even though some people will say they could charge you but that has never happened to me. I usually have one standard car one and one mini van one. I go to the full size aisle and see if there is mini vans there and if not I go with the mini van one. I will say that with that much luggage and people though sometimes that will be a lot for a mini van. we rented a premium SUV from Alamo this last trip with 4 adults one teen and a infant. We got a really nice Suburban that was so much room and was great to drive. Also make sure you check daily as the price can very all the time.

I suggest having two reservations even though some people will say they could charge you but that has never happened to me. I usually have one standard car one and one mini van one. I go to the full size aisle and see if there is mini vans there and if not I go with the mini van one. I will say that with that much luggage and people though sometimes that will be a lot for a mini van. we rented a premium SUV from Alamo this last trip with 4 adults one teen and a infant. We got a really nice Suburban that was so much room and was great to drive. Also make sure you check daily as the price can very all the time.

I agree. I used to make reservation for standard and full-size until I found out that Alamo doesn't have 'standard' size. Now I just book standard and have expectations to get bumped up to a full-size.

I thought I read something about this on here but, of course, can't find it now. Is it OK to book 2 reservations (one for standard and one for minivan) for the same dates/times? Trying to get lucky and get a minivan for the standard price. Is there a way to see what cars are available when I get to the counter? Traveling in February and booking Alamo thru Costco. Thanks!!

where you able to get a minivan in standard aisle? did you have two reservations and was there any issue cancelling one?

where you able to get a minivan in standard aisle? did you have two reservations and was there any issue cancelling one?

A few days before our trip, I was able to get a better rate with a premium crossover that wasn't that much more than the standard rate, so I canceled the standard and only had the one reservation.

My understanding has always been that you need to check in online to skip the counter and go straight to the aisle. And that requires a credit card guarantee correct? So how do you book 2 vehicles without being responsible for both? I'd love to be able to check the full size aisle for a mini van but am afraid to be responsible for 2 cars.

My understanding has always been that you need to check in online to skip the counter and go straight to the aisle. And that requires a credit card guarantee correct? So how do you book 2 vehicles without being responsible for both? I'd love to be able to check the full size aisle for a mini van but am afraid to be responsible for 2 cars.

I had two booked and cancelled one the day prior. Both were checked in online for skip the counter. I didn't have any issues cancelling online.
I also wound up booking a standard and getting an SUV. There were many also big pick up trucks in the aisle, which I have never seen prior as well.

Like @Rich M said above, he actually goes to the aisle with the 2 reservations and keeps the one that's the best deal. I'm curious how he doesn't get charged for both? Is it ok to cancel as late as the pick up time or possibly later?

Like @Rich M said above, he actually goes to the aisle with the 2 reservations and keeps the one that's the best deal. I'm curious how he doesn't get charged for both? Is it ok to cancel as late as the pick up time or possibly later?
You don’t enter a credit card with Alamo until you check in if it’s not a prepaid rate.

I thought you did when you check in online so you can go straight to the aisle.

Yup this is how I do it. You can then check in on your phone or go to the desk. At the desk just tell them what reservation you want to use and they will use that one. I have never been asked why I have multiple reservations. As a side not if you book through Costco now and you have the executive membership you now get 2% back just like any other purchase

How do you know the mini van you found on the full size aisle won't be gone if you still have to go to the desk? I guess you're not checking in online then, just going out to the garage and checking the aisles and then deciding?

You don’t enter a credit card with Alamo until you check in if it’s not a prepaid rate.

How do you know the mini van you found on the full size aisle won't be gone if you still have to go to the desk? I guess you're not checking in online then, just going out to the garage and checking the aisles and then deciding?

I leave someone with the car and have them load it up as if someone already picked it

We just did this at the end of January. I booked a full size at $189 and a mini van at $255. We went to the full size row and there were 4 mini vans on it. So as my family was loading up the van, I did the online check in and then cancelled the higher mini van rental and had no issues.

We are arriving about 11:30pm on Tues 5/29. What are the odds of finding a mini van on the full size aisle so late? Or is it hit or miss?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter