For those who modify FP

SummerGirl

Mouseketeer
when do you have the best luck?

Around 45 days? Inside 30 days? Or week/days of actual FP? I need to modify times on a few of my FPs, & so far I haven't had much luck. I'm not quite 30 days, but inside the 45 day window. These of course are the hard to find FP of 7DMT & FOP on the first few days of my trip. I check a few times every day, & actually had a FOP pop up that I grabbed, but nothing since then. In fact FP are out for 7DMT on my 2nd day of the trip. Just curious when others have had luck. Thanks so much!

I'm not sure it follows any pattern, except in the case when park hours are expanded and Disney drops more FPs into the system.

It's monotonous, but it really does seem to come down to random luck. I've picked up hard-to-get FPs more out of sheer repetition than anything else.

I'm guessing you'll nab 7DMT before your trip. Good luck!

Honestly, I am more likely to adjust our itinerary around the FPs I am able to get as opposed to trying to modify. I don't think we ever have a trip where we have done exactly what we had planned. Even though we pre-plan, we always do whatever it is we feel like doing once we get there. Sometimes that means cancelling some of our ADRs an FPs. So we tend to check "day of" to see what fits into whatever we decided to do that day.

As far out as you can, then next best time would be same day

I'm not sure it follows any pattern, except in the case when park hours are expanded and Disney drops more FPs into the system.

It's monotonous, but it really does seem to come down to random luck. I've picked up hard-to-get FPs more out of sheer repetition than anything else.

Honestly, I am more likely to adjust our itinerary around the FPs I am able to get as opposed to trying to modify. I don't think we ever have a trip where we have done exactly what we had planned. Even though we pre-plan, we always do whatever it is we feel like doing once we get there. Sometimes that means cancelling some of our ADRs an FPs. So we tend to check "day of" to see what fits into whatever we decided to do that day.

Thank you all for your responses! Luckily, we have a 7 night trip planned so if I can't find a time that works, it's not a big deal-we have FP for later in the week. I was more curious than anything when others have had luck. I feel pretty confident that I will find more availability either same day or the day before as ppl adjust plans. Thanks again, & have a great day!

I have the best luck day of. I think more people are shifting things around and if the day isn't one of those crazy packed days like NYE it's pretty easy to modify. I also find the easiest way to get the time you want is to grab the ride at any time and then modify to the one you want. I've never been able to adjust my times before going, nothing ever becomes available.

It actually does follow a pattern to a large extent, especially for the more popular rides. Exactly as CAS239 said, you make them initially as far out as you possibly can...30 days, 60 days whatever your window is. From there, while you can definitely look (and we have), your odds of being able to change the more popular rides at 22 days, 18 days, 4 days out are rather small. You can refresh 100 times and the same things will show up each and every time. My presumption is that because at that point, most people have made their plans and aren't changing them. But when you get to 24 hours out or less, that's when things really start to change. The FP+ system really does become very "fluid" during that time. When you refresh, new rides and times will pop up constantly. As I've said before, we're very much into doing the refresh thing, and my kids think it's fun. It really is like spinning a prize wheel, you never know what will come up next.

After the first day the window opens I'm on nearly every day to tighten up the times. We like to hit a walk on or 2 at RD before using our FP+ choices so we look to make it to our first FP+ with only minutes to spare then on to the next or maybe squeeze in a standby ride. As soon as we tap out for our 3rd I'm on the app to book something at either Epcot where we hop during F&W or possibly an evening ride at yet another park. Usually I've got the FP+ choices stacked with no time between then within a week or 2 of the window opening.

Bill From PA

After the first day the window opens I'm on nearly every day to tighten up the times. We like to hit a walk on or 2 at RD before using our FP+ choices so we look to make it to our first FP+ with only minutes to spare then on to the next or maybe squeeze in a standby ride. As soon as we tap out for our 3rd I'm on the app to book something at either Epcot where we hop during F&W or possibly an evening ride at yet another park. Usually I've got the FP+ choices stacked with no time between then within a week or 2 of the window opening.

Bill From PA

This is exactly what I'm hoping to do, but my times are a little far apart. Hopefully, a few different options will open up same day.

It actually does follow a pattern to a large extent, especially for the more popular rides. Exactly as CAS239 said, you make them initially as far out as you possibly can...30 days, 60 days whatever your window is. From there, while you can definitely look (and we have), your odds of being able to change the more popular rides at 22 days, 18 days, 4 days out are rather small. You can refresh 100 times and the same things will show up each and every time. My presumption is that because at that point, most people have made their plans and aren't changing them. But when you get to 24 hours out or less, that's when things really start to change. The FP+ system really does become very "fluid" during that time. When you refresh, new rides and times will pop up constantly. As I've said before, we're very much into doing the refresh thing, and my kids think it's fun. It really is like spinning a prize wheel, you never know what will come up next.

This is exactly what I'm hoping since I haven't had much luck up to this point. Have you noticed a difference if it's pm EMH at MK?

I have the best luck day of. I think more people are shifting things around and if the day isn't one of those crazy packed days like NYE it's pretty easy to modify. I also find the easiest way to get the time you want is to grab the ride at any time and then modify to the one you want. I've never been able to adjust my times before going, nothing ever becomes available.

I thought that would be my best chance. Thank you!

This is exactly what I have done, not sure if it makes any difference??

I've had some luck starting the day before - especially late at night and then day of. Folks at Disney start to change up their plans some based on how their trip is going. Folks switch parks, decide to sleep late or get up early, etc.

This is exactly what I'm hoping since I haven't had much luck up to this point. Have you noticed a difference if it's pm EMH at MK?

Honestly, I couldn't even tell you. We don't stay on property and we don't rope drop, so most days we don't even know what park has EMH.

This is exactly what I'm hoping to do, but my times are a little far apart. Hopefully, a few different options will open up same day.

You may be able to move one or all three of them up the morning-of. If you don't get them tightened up in the morning as much as you'd like to in advance, use that modify button -- and even if your morning FP+ schedule is pretty tight, it may still be worth doing. Say you have one for 9:00-10:00 and the next for 10:05-11:05. If you get off the first ride at 9:25, you may be able to modify the next one up to 9:30. You can't count on it, but it's worth checking if buzzing from one FP to the next as fast as possible is your preferred touring style.

I had the most luck the night before and day of (although, we only booked our trip 8 days out....). I also had the most luck modifying for specific times instead of a whole category (ie 10am instead of morning). The only FP I wasn't able to ultimately get was 7DMT but I didn't try that hard since we were planning on doing an 8am rope drop. Everything else I not only eventually got, but pretty much within the time frame I wanted it (even scored a late day same day FP for FoP).

I thought that would be my best chance. Thank you!

This is exactly what I have done, not sure if it makes any difference??
It definitely makes a difference, it's like tricking the system or something when you have the fast pass it will then show other times, whereas if you didn't get anything and are looking from scratch nothing comes up. I've done it multiple times when trying to get a fourth fast pass and the only things are near the closing time of the park. I've been able to continuously modify until its the current time and I can go right on.

Honestly, I couldn't even tell you. We don't stay on property and we don't rope drop, so most days we don't even know what park has EMH.

Thank you.

You may be able to move one or all three of them up the morning-of. If you don't get them tightened up in the morning as much as you'd like to in advance, use that modify button -- and even if your morning FP+ schedule is pretty tight, it may still be worth doing. Say you have one for 9:00-10:00 and the next for 10:05-11:05. If you get off the first ride at 9:25, you may be able to modify the next one up to 9:30. You can't count on it, but it's worth checking if buzzing from one FP to the next as fast as possible is your preferred touring style.

Good idea, thank you.

I had the most luck the night before and day of (although, we only booked our trip 8 days out....). I also had the most luck modifying for specific times instead of a whole category (ie 10am instead of morning). The only FP I wasn't able to ultimately get was 7DMT but I didn't try that hard since we were planning on doing an 8am rope drop. Everything else I not only eventually got, but pretty much within the time frame I wanted it (even scored a late day same day FP for FoP).

Interesting...I've been trying just for the category up to this point. Thank you.

It definitely makes a difference, it's like tricking the system or something when you have the fast pass it will then show other times, whereas if you didn't get anything and are looking from scratch nothing comes up. I've done it multiple times when trying to get a fourth fast pass and the only things are near the closing time of the park. I've been able to continuously modify until its the current time and I can go right on.

Great to know. Hopefully it works out, if not, no big deal. Thank you!

It definitely makes a difference, it's like tricking the system or something when you have the fast pass it will then show other times, whereas if you didn't get anything and are looking from scratch nothing comes up.

I definitely can't agree with that. It's not tricking the system at all. Plenty of things show up when looking from scratch. I do find it easier to modify an existing FP+, that's true, it's just logistically easier on the phone to do. But fundamentally, when getting a 4th, 5th, 6th FP+, you're starting from scratch every time.

I definitely can't agree with that. It's not tricking the system at all. Plenty of things show up when looking from scratch. I do find it easier to modify an existing FP+, that's true, it's just logistically easier on the phone to do. But fundamentally, when getting a 4th, 5th, 6th FP+, you're starting from scratch every time.
When I've looked there is almost nothing available with multiple refreshes and a lot of times the same bad times come up. When I've grabbed one of the bad times and refresh suddenly way earlier times appear that wouldn't before. Maybe it's not tricking the system, but it's only worked for me that way. Searching from scratch late in the day never yields good results for me.

When I've looked there is almost nothing available with multiple refreshes and a lot of times the same bad times come up. When I've grabbed one of the bad times and refresh suddenly way earlier times appear that wouldn't before. Maybe it's not tricking the system, but it's only worked for me that way. Searching from scratch late in the day never yields good results for me.

Yes, I agree completely that it's easier to grab a "bad" time and then modify that. Far easier. We use that strategy ourselves. But it will work doing it the other way, just more difficult to do. To some degree, even if it's not a time you necessarily want, you're always starting from scratch when making a new FP+ because you don't have anything when you start. But it definitely is easier to modify an existing ride to a new time than try to get that ride for the time you want right off the bat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter