For those that combine gift cards Disney gift card website.....

edk35

DIS Veteran
Do you split them over a couple of cards? Any tips/advice as to how you set yours up. I am currently on there adding cards and transferring balances to a main card. I think I read on here once that says you should have another card or two that the main card could be switched with if you were to say lose that card. I would appreciate any advice. This is my first time combining. I have sooooo many. Thanks!!!!!

We always do what you mentioned and put them on all on one but carry an empty backup in case anything happens or we need to split up and each have a GC. We've never tried having them scan our phones! That's a really good idea...as long as we don't forget to take a charging stick with us!

We keep 3 to 4 gift cards registered on the site. Split the amount between 3 of them. I get nervous about putting it all on one because even though if you lose it you can transfer the amount online..... what if you don't realize it is lost for a while? It could be hours before noticing it's gone and someone could have already spent the full balance. Also, I use one of the small GCs that is on a wrist strap. Like you get at Food and Wine. This card I keep a lesser amount on and use when visiting the booths, etc at Epcot. Just be careful, I've had the strap break and luckily did not lose it.
Loading it to an e-gift card is a good idea... but I don't care to hand off my phone to people, and some scanners don't seem to scan my phone very easily.

I keep a few cards registered and split the total by park or activity. Like x dollars on the Remy card for food at Epcot, x dollars on Star Wars card for Droid Depot, x on another for whatever. That way, I don't have to carry it all and don't worry about losing or overspending and I can transfer to one of my other cards, if needed.
Last time, I forgot to take any to the park with me, so I put $10 on a new one at a gift shop and then transferred from one in my account.

They do not allow more than $1000 on a single card so if you are going to go over that you will need more than one

We usually put it on one card but always keep an extra. This actually came in handy recently. We bought one of the food and wine gcs that goes around your wrist. Of course it fell off dh’s wrist sometime during the day and he didn’t notice. We had the extra gc in his wallet and transferred it right away online.

We usually have 2 cards (special designs) that we use all the time. I have one and DW has one. We have those 2 and 3 others (also special designs we've collected over the years, one of which is a Batuu spira) that are attached to the giftcard account. At any given time, at least 2 of those are empty - just in case a card is lost, we have a place to move those funds quickly and easily. For a long trip with lots of family, we'll likely have other gcs that are not stored on the account. Those will stay in the safe until we need them, and then those funds will be transferred to one of the 2 main cards.

I've found that while having one primary card that starts out with the max $1000 on it works fine, I prefer to not have more than $200-300 on any other cards. If every card has a high dollar amount on it, you lose the flexibility of being able to move funds around like you want. I wish there was an option to transfer a specific amount, rather than the entire balance, from one card to another, but I doubt they'll ever implement that.

I thought about using the egift cards instead of the physical card. Tried it once and decided it was just easier to use the physical card as I am typically having to get out my AP, DVC or TiW card for discounts anyway. I do use the egiftcards as a way to "reload" one of my special cards, since you can transfer funds from those as well.

Steve

We go 2 to 3 weeks at a time and charge everything to the room, paying that balance with gift cards every couple of days, so we arrive with between 5 and 7 full cards. I keep 4 full gift cards on the account and always leave one empty card, which we carry with us everywhere. All other cards (including ones that aren't yet loaded to the site because of the 5 card max) are locked in the safe in the room. When we head to the desk to pay off room charges, I transfer the balance of one of the cards to the card we keep on us, make the payment, and then transfer whatever remains back to another card. I always pick a card with a large enough balance to transfer when paying room charges, then consolidate the remaining ones as their balances dwindle. This way we are never walking around with a card that has funds on it but are always able to access it quickly if needed. After we've completely depleted a card, it gets deleted and I pull a new one out of the safe to load on the account.

I used to charge everything to the room and pay off with a Disney GC the night before checkout. But I wanted to avoid the holding charges this past trip, so I took four GCs with us with the total amount divided evenly between them. Our trip was only four days long so it worked perfectly. I numbered the GCs and took #1 with us on our first day, then transferred the balance to GC#2, and so on. I never had a super large amount on the GC I had on me, and I kept the other GCs in the safe until ready to use. I liked this system, but I'm not sure what I will do on my next trip, which is 8 days long. I wish I could have more than five GCs on the website. I may have to have my DH make a separate account so we can add more.

We go 2 to 3 weeks at a time and charge everything to the room, paying that balance with gift cards every couple of days, so we arrive with between 5 and 7 full cards. I keep 4 full gift cards on the account and always leave one empty card, which we carry with us everywhere. All other cards (including ones that aren't yet loaded to the site because of the 5 card max) are locked in the safe in the room. When we head to the desk to pay off room charges, I transfer the balance of one of the cards to the card we keep on us, make the payment, and then transfer whatever remains back to another card. I always pick a card with a large enough balance to transfer when paying room charges, then consolidate the remaining ones as their balances dwindle. This way we are never walking around with a card that has funds on it but are always able to access it quickly if needed. After we've completely depleted a card, it gets deleted and I pull a new one out of the safe to load on the account.
That is what I always used to do. I used to go to the front desk every couple of days to pay off the charges but I always had a bunch of cards to keep track of.

I put a majority on one card and kept a second card with $50 as backup. That way, if something happened to my primary card, I could transfer the balance to the secondary card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter