For those sailing in 2021...how are you feeling?

We have the March 2021 cruise on the wonder booked that goes out of San Diego to Catalina. looking forward to it

If Fauci is right and there’s a vaccine available in early January we will be leaving January 8 2021 for our first cruise and Disney January 11 2021 for a second.

Last edited:
Nervous. Have our first DCL (and my first cruise ever) booked for Jan 8 2021. Hoping there will be some good news between now and then with covid. Currently waiting for the passport office to re-open so we can get those applications in asap. I have a card but I'm thinking I should upgrade to a book just to be safe.

We have an Alaska August 2021 cruise booked and I’m taking a stance of “its too early to worry about it” view. A year is a long time for things to change and evolve, so as of right now Im assuming we’re going but will re-evaluate as the final payment date arrives. That being said, I have a special needs son who is high risk so our family has to take special considerations that others do not. It might be a case where it is safe for 90% of people to cruise and it goes but for our family the risk is still too great. But I’m also choosing to enjoy the planning right now as I was always the kid who spend more time setting up the game than playing it.

I've been pretty worried about our sailing date at the end of March 2021. We booked it back in January and when all the cancellations started to happen, I kept telling myself, "You've got a year for everything going back to normal. It'll be fine!" We've still got 9 months until then. It doesn't help that I'm planning for my wedding on that cruise so I'm worried about it being cancelled.

I've been pretty worried about our sailing date at the end of March 2021. We booked it back in January and when all the cancellations started to happen, I kept telling myself, "You've got a year for everything going back to normal. It'll be fine!" We've still got 9 months until then. It doesn't help that I'm planning for my wedding on that cruise so I'm worried about it being cancelled.
I don’t blame you. We are sailing April 3 and I’m worried myself. I think I’m going to book a stay at WDW as my backup though.

I hope you get your wedding on the cruise!

Frustrated that our April '21 cruise that we've been planning with friends for our 10th Anniversary is in the air, but confident that either the cruise will sail or that our contingency cruise in March of '22 will be just as good. Going PIF tomorrow.

If Fauci is right and there’s a vaccine available in early January we will be leaving January 8 2021 for our first cruise and Disney January 11 2021 for a second.

I love your optimism. However, even if a vaccine becomes available at the beginning of January, by the time they get front line workers vaccinated and doses sent to local health agencies, it could take quite a while.

Personally, I hope it’s as quick as you’re thinking. It would be great to go somewhere and have some magic!!

We rebooked our March 2020 cruise to March 2021 right before everything shut down. At the time it felt very reasonable, even cautious. Now...who knows.
We're assuming that if it's cancelled we'll get refunded, though I am worried enough that I wish we'd taken the refund instead. But we'd do WDW as backup

The other cruise lines have to get back to sailing late summer/early fall or they will go out of business. They do not have the other revenue streams that Disney has, so they cannot just park their ships for 6 months. If the CDC extends the no sail order again for a 3rd time, they will have to provide some kind of bailout. I'm usually not for bailouts but seems cruising is the sole industry that has been singled out by the CDC for ongoing bans and a government induced bankruptcy. You can take a 3 day trip packed in a Greyhound bus from NYC to LA with no CDC health/cleanliness regulations but you can't take a heavily health regulated 3 day trip on DCL? Doesn't seem right.

The thing bothering me with what DCL is doing is the blatant, unnecessary stringing along. DCL knows 100% whether or not their 07/31 Dream cruise is going out, regardless of what CDC says, yet they leave it up, scheduled and bookable. Why let people lose thousands $ on airfare, hotels and travel expenses when DCL knows whether or not they are going to sail and just sit on that info at their customer's expense. Honesty and transparency would go a long way here instead of just trying to keep some PIF money on the books.

I love your optimism. However, even if a vaccine becomes available at the beginning of January, by the time they get front line workers vaccinated and doses sent to local health agencies, it could take quite a while.

Personally, I hope it’s as quick as you’re thinking. It would be great to go somewhere and have some magic!!

The Oxford vaccine is in phase 3 trials right now and could be ready for emergency usage as early as October. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but there is at least one that is a possibility for sooner...!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

The other cruise lines have to get back to sailing late summer/early fall or they will go out of business. They do not have the other revenue streams that Disney has, so they cannot just park their ships for 6 months. If the CDC extends the no sail order again for a 3rd time, they will have to provide some kind of bailout. I'm usually not for bailouts but seems cruising is the sole industry that has been singled out by the CDC for ongoing bans and a government induced bankruptcy. You can take a 3 day trip packed in a Greyhound bus from NYC to LA with no CDC health/cleanliness regulations but you can't take a heavily health regulated 3 day trip on DCL? Doesn't seem right.

The thing bothering me with what DCL is doing is the blatant, unnecessary stringing along. DCL knows 100% whether or not their 07/31 Dream cruise is going out, regardless of what CDC says, yet they leave it up, scheduled and bookable. Why let people lose thousands $ on airfare, hotels and travel expenses when DCL knows whether or not they are going to sail and just sit on that info at their customer's expense. Honesty and transparency would go a long way here instead of just trying to keep some PIF money on the books.
Is it just the CDC holding up the whole industry? I don't recall hearing about any cruises starting up in Asia or Europe. I mean, a Carnival or Royal could be doing their pacific cruises, if the only hindrance is the CDC, right?

Is it just the CDC holding up the whole industry? I don't recall hearing about any cruises starting up in Asia or Europe. I mean, a Carnival or Royal could be doing their pacific cruises, if the only hindrance is the CDC, right?
There was a river cruise that sailed recently in Germany for the first time since the shut down.

There have been several start up and/or starting up prior to CDC ban ending. So yes, I would say the CDC is holding up the show here in the U.S.. There's even an American river cruise company starting back up next week, they got around the CDC ban by being under 250 passenger limit. If it was not the CDC ban preventing cruises and it was some other factor, then there would be no need for a CDC ban because there would be no cruises to ban.

• Who is our next refurbish ship? (Covid adjustments could be implemented then)
• What does it take to re-employ/staff the ship for after a dry dock? How far in advance do the new employees know they will sail after a refurbish?
• Do we have people who know that rehiring is happening? Is there a website that states they’re hiring that we can look at? Do we have friends on the private employee only sites to give us a heads up when the buzz of new employment starts?
I have hope for shortly after a refurbishment which I thought would be late fall? I just think we will find out once interviews and contracts go out.
• Most contracts will have likely expired by the next possible sail dates? There’s always exceptions, but most of them? Something above the skeleton crew is what I am wondering about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!