• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those not sure on Cirque du Soleil

vernon

DIS Veteran
If you are planning to visit SeaWorld and want a "free taster" of the type of acts in Cirque du Soleil, do take the time to watch the "cirque de la Mer" show. It's not a bad show in it's own right and has a couple of acts that are in the genre offered at Cirque du soleil. Without wishing to be uncomplimantary to the performers at "... de la mer" ( who are fine performers and I'm sure top athletes) it is a very weak version of Cirque du Soleil I don't mean weak in the actual acts. The acts are good, although they aren't quite as fluid or graceful as Cirque du Soleil, but there are only two "cirque! acts, a rather impressive firedancer and a pretty clever clown/linkman. The costumes and music are not to Cirque du Soleil,s standard ( buit this is a "free show" not $60 per ticket !! so fair do's) nor is the theatre as well finished.

The difference between the two shows is de la mer has 2 acts, du Soleil has a dozen, a better theatre, live music, outstanding singers and performers, better costumes, wonderful sets. I work on the principal I'd be happy to pay $5 to see cirque de la Mer, I think Cirque Du Soleil is fair value at $60 a ticket if you like this type of show. Cirque du Soleil is the pinical of this type of entertainment and it shows in the the fact their acts are the best of the best. It is a fine line in being able to do amazing things ( as in de la Mer) and being able to do amazing things with grace, fluidity of movement and fit it seemlessly into the music and sets that sets cirque du soleil apart from everything else in this genre. It's a difference that I'm happy to pay the higher price in order to see perfection and the proffesionalism of a superior show, but Cirque de la Mer is still worth a visit in it's own right.

I love both these shows, Vernon, and The Mer was me first. If I'd seen The Soleil first then I think The Mer might have been a disappointment by comparison.

For me, other than the circus themin, the only similar acts are the curtain swingers.

I would liken The Mer to a vaudeville/music hall show (and is very funny) whereas The Soleil is a modern ballet (by comparison).

Go to both and I think you'll enjoy them, but do The Mer first and if you don't like it still 'do' The Soleil coz , to me, they have very different strengths.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter