For those folks driving!

Yes, we saw this on the news..yesterday.....oh darn!! WE were leaving for Orlando mid May from northern Ill....We usually stop in Chattanooga our first nite...going thur Atlanta we always use the HOV lane as it's DH and I......need to think about this now.

Our "Goodbye Wishes" trip is coming soon. What's the best way from the Contemporary to hit 75N? Google maps takes us north on World Drive, right past the MK, which I assume would be closed to visitors?

Is it better to head south on World Drive, to Buena Vista Dr, World Way, then 429 Western beltway north? Thanks!

Any update on the Pee Dee River construction? I have an alternate route mapped out, but would like to know if the construction is finishing on schedule (do any of these do that anyway)? lol

my alternate is 95S to 87S to 76W back to 95S

Driving from MD in December!!! Being in a minivan with 4 kids under 7 shouldn't drive me too crazy right?!?!:scared1: Thank goodness for DVD players

Driving from MD in December!!! Being in a minivan with 4 kids under 7 shouldn't drive me too crazy right?!?!:scared1: Thank goodness for DVD players

This year will be our third year driving down from NYC (our kids are 8 this year). We are DVC owners, but I hate flying (anxiety), and it adds an extra $2500 (plus rental car) to the cost of vacation, so we decided a few years ago to drive down and see how it would go. My worst fear was how the kids would be, but they were better than I could have imagined. We made "old school" binders for them with things like license plate bingo, fast food bingo (different logos, basically), coloring sheets, and so forth. It was a good alternative rather than having them be on their 3DSs or tablets the entire way down. My kids must also have iron bladders - we didn't have to make any extra stops for the bathrooms. Basically when we stopped for gas and lunch they went, and we didn't have any emergencies. In fact, the one "unscheduled" bathroom stop we had to make was for me haha.

I'm not sure if you're doing it all in one shot, but the first two years we stayed overnight at the Hampton Inn in Santee, SC, which is very solid and reasonably priced. Continental breakfast is included. From NYC we usually leave at 3 or 4 AM so we can get through most of VA before traffic builds up in and around DC and Richmond. This year I think we're going to try to make Savannah on day one because we're going to Legoland for a couple of days first this year and that's another 45 minutes south from WDW. Generally we eat breakfast and leave and get to the resort around 1, which gives us a few hours at the pool before dinner.

Good luck!

Any update on the Pee Dee River construction? I have an alternate route mapped out, but would like to know if the construction is finishing on schedule (do any of these do that anyway)? lol

my alternate is 95S to 87S to 76W back to 95S

The work was scheduled to be completed in mid-late April. According to this map, it looks like it was because there are no markers for it.

http://www.511sc.org/

GoHerbie
We have friends who live in Clermont FL which is to close to 75 area and we have have traveled several times their house and back from MK area. We have also stayed on 429 to get too AK area. If you head back towards 429 via AK you will kill a good 25 mins at best, worse if MK traffic is just letting out. This is route we take to get to 429 from Contemporary. Mapquest will route you otherwise on a single lane rd.

Turn rt out of cont. parking onto world dr.
Turn rt onto center dr. After crossing train tracks
Turn rt onto reams rd(mapquest wants you to turn left here)
Go to 2nd roundabout and turn at 1st rt
Turn rt onto winter garden Vineland rd.
Turn rt onto 429
Beyond that I think it's 301 then 75 but I would clarify this part via map

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

We are driving to WDW from SE Wisconsin for the first time this August after friends of ours have been doing it for the past 5 years. I enjoy and appreciate all the ideas people have thrown out there for the long drive with kids. We've played "spot the out-of-state license plate game" before but can't wait to do a bingo game of it.

For anyone that has to go through Atlanta. The repairs to I-85 where the bridge collapsed are finished. It's all open again which will help the traffic on 285 which is the bypass around Atlanta.

Hello. We are planning on taking our first trip in 4 weeks. My DH just sprung it on me that now he would like to leave a day early when he gets out of work at 5pm. We would be leaving from San Antonio. Would stopping in Baton Rouge be a good stop? I'm a horrible night driver but could stay up to about midnight. We will be taking our kiddos 6 & 2yrs old.

Be careful on I10 in Louisiana. There are long sections that go over the swamps so you just can't pull off.

Hi everyone! I posted a new thread in Transportation prior to finding this one. However, we are driving for the first time in August! Usually we fly but my husband refuses to ever get on a plane again :rolleyes:. We are coming from MD. I am more anxious to drive than to fly. We have two kids who fight in the car..:rolleyes2 I 95 makes me a nervous wreck..but if I want to go to Disney, seems I have no choice. Is it really so terrible? I'm contemplating driving straight through and not stopping but I want opinions on what has worked best for others. Any advice/tips would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

Could you maybe take I 81 through VA, pick up I77 through NC then take I85 through Atlanta to I75 which is a straight shot through to the Fla Turnpike? I 85 meets I95 by Richmond, Va. You could also pick it up there. That would lessen the time on I95.

Hello. We are planning on taking our first trip in 4 weeks. My DH just sprung it on me that now he would like to leave a day early when he gets out of work at 5pm. We would be leaving from San Antonio. Would stopping in Baton Rouge be a good stop? I'm a horrible night driver but could stay up to about midnight. We will be taking our kiddos 6 & 2yrs old.

If you can make it past Baton Rouge to Gonzales there are quite a few nice and new hotels right next to the interstate (I live here). I'm happy to help if you have any questions about staying in the area :)

Hi everyone! I posted a new thread in Transportation prior to finding this one. However, we are driving for the first time in August! Usually we fly but my husband refuses to ever get on a plane again :rolleyes:. We are coming from MD. I am more anxious to drive than to fly. We have two kids who fight in the car..:rolleyes2 I 95 makes me a nervous wreck..but if I want to go to Disney, seems I have no choice. Is it really so terrible? I'm contemplating driving straight through and not stopping but I want opinions on what has worked best for others. Any advice/tips would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

We live in MD, too, and have driven several times because we take our dogs on vacation with us. The last time was three years ago but we will be on our way again this year. Here are my thoughts:

Not sure what part of MD you're in but we are 30 min outside of DC. Leave around midnight if you can. Leaving at 0400 -too much traffic already. Leave at 1000 - too much traffic already. It's always a dang parking lot from DC to Fredericksburg.

In NC & SC, I-95 is a two lane highway. Seriously. That's always where we hit it. We've been stopped on the highway for hours due to accidents. It's great if it doesn't happen but plan for it, just in case. Meaning - don't wait until the last minute to pee. One poor woman had to run for the woods...

It's harder on the way home, because you have nothing to look forward to.

Do you want to do a straight shot or break it into two days? If you go the two day route, stop in SC overnight. You can get nice hotels for $70 night that include a nice breakfast. Maybe even cheaper hotels but I always have to find German shepherd friendly ones.

We usually plan on it taking 16 hours due to traffic and stops. It's nice if it's shorter but I am a pessimist, having done the drive so many times already, so I average the longer time.

Now, the good part ... YOU'RE GOING TO DISNEY!!!!! It's all good. Have a safe trip and an excellent time!!

We live in MD, too, and have driven several times because we take our dogs on vacation with us. The last time was three years ago but we will be on our way again this year. Here are my thoughts:

Not sure what part of MD you're in but we are 30 min outside of DC. Leave around midnight if you can. Leaving at 0400 -too much traffic already. Leave at 1000 - too much traffic already. It's always a dang parking lot from DC to Fredericksburg.

In NC & SC, I-95 is a two lane highway. Seriously. That's always where we hit it. We've been stopped on the highway for hours due to accidents. It's great if it doesn't happen but plan for it, just in case. Meaning - don't wait until the last minute to pee. One poor woman had to run for the woods...

It's harder on the way home, because you have nothing to look forward to.

Do you want to do a straight shot or break it into two days? If you go the two day route, stop in SC overnight. You can get nice hotels for $70 night that include a nice breakfast. Maybe even cheaper hotels but I always have to find German shepherd friendly ones.

We usually plan on it taking 16 hours due to traffic and stops. It's nice if it's shorter but I am a pessimist, having done the drive so many times already, so I average the longer time.

Now, the good part ... YOU'RE GOING TO DISNEY!!!!! It's all good. Have a safe trip and an excellent time!!

Hi! I am in Harco, so about 30 mins north of Baltimore County. My plan was to leave at 4 am. But, you're saying not to leave then bc DC traffic is already heavy?! I want to do a straight shot through, but have two kids (10 and 6) so I don't know how reasonable that is. Should I leave around 9pm or 8 pm and then plan to stop in SC and stay overnight?

Hi! I am in Harco, so about 30 mins north of Baltimore County. My plan was to leave at 4 am. But, you're saying not to leave then bc DC traffic is already heavy?! I want to do a straight shot through, but have two kids (10 and 6) so I don't know how reasonable that is. Should I leave around 9pm or 8 pm and then plan to stop in SC and stay overnight?

Hi there. we are in Howard County & DH used to work in DC. He retired in the fall and we've driven through there at all hours of the day and night.

At four am, you'd think the traffic would still be light but it's not. You have early commuters, then also have to account for construction. If you leave your a area at 0400, you're going to hit rush hour - because you're driving towards DC along with thousands of others trying to beat the rush.

Are you planning to take the 495 beltway or drive down 295 through DC to continue onto 95? I'm not sure where construction is going on right now but we ALWAYS have construction here.

If you can do the straight shot, I'd do it. You're probably an hour north of me, so you'd want to leave around 9pm (2100) - if you and your DH can alternate the sleeping/driving, that is.

Also, the area between DC & Fredericksburg, VA, no matter when we hit, has perpetual traffic. Later in the night has been better for us.

It might be helpful to make a specific post for Northern Virginia & maybe folks who live there & travel it daily can be helpful, too.

I'm too neurotic to break it into two days to get down there - I'm too amped up and excited. We've done that twice because of the dogs and it was DH's idea, but to me, it dragged on too long.

I wish my dogs could fly with us but at 100 lbs. each, they can't fit under the seat, LOL. I love it when someone stays home to watch them so we can fly.

Hi there. we are in Howard County & DH used to work in DC. He retired in the fall and we've driven through there at all hours of the day and night.

At four am, you'd think the traffic would still be light but it's not. You have early commuters, then also have to account for construction. If you leave your a area at 0400, you're going to hit rush hour - because you're driving towards DC along with thousands of others trying to beat the rush.

Are you planning to take the 495 beltway or drive down 295 through DC to continue onto 95? I'm not sure where construction is going on right now but we ALWAYS have construction here.

If you can do the straight shot, I'd do it. You're probably an hour north of me, so you'd want to leave around 9pm (2100) - if you and your DH can alternate the sleeping/driving, that is.

Also, the area between DC & Fredericksburg, VA, no matter when we hit, has perpetual traffic. Later in the night has been better for us.

It might be helpful to make a specific post for Northern Virginia & maybe folks who live there & travel it daily can be helpful, too.

I'm too neurotic to break it into two days to get down there - I'm too amped up and excited. We've done that twice because of the dogs and it was DH's idea, but to me, it dragged on too long.

I wish my dogs could fly with us but at 100 lbs. each, they can't fit under the seat, LOL. I love it when someone stays home to watch them so we can fly.

I'm thinking 295? According to my mapquest app when I put the address for the hotel in, that is the route it takes me. I know there's others. I will make a post or search for one on VA travelers! Thanks :)

We will be driving from IL in Sept. Planning to leave no later then 4pm. 3 adults, all can drive, one 11yr old.
Planning on driving through, since we have 3 drivers, but stop for dinner, breakfast and lunch.
Anyone here have any experience driving from IL ?

This will be our 3rd straight year driving to Florida, We come from Connecticut on I 84 and go wherever the GPS takes us on the way down ! Lol...anyhow both times we have made it to Georgia on the first night. Last year we left on Saturday morning at 5 am and we went thru all the traffic without a problem. Not until we hit Virginia was it kind of a mess but I think there was an accident. Anyhow we arrived in Richmond Hill Georgia at 8:30 p.m. Last year my daughter was 10 years old and is quiet as a mouse so I cannot relate to traveling with 2 children in the back. Good Luck and just be determined and stop as few times as possible. Make sure the kids have plenty of activities to keep them quiet *make sure they have their OWN things, not having to share will make it easier* (I know this from childhood trips with my unbearable sister)

---From a seasoned WDW trip driver (last year I was the only one who drove, BOTH WAYS and am a woman to boot!!) Sorry too much padding myself on the back hahah

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!