For school what is your'r thoughts

My belief is there isn't a study done that doesn't have an agenda behind it. It's difficult for me to believe a study done on marijuana when it was advocated for so long with falsehoods to keep it a "bad thing." Now I'm suppose to believe what the "experts" say when there are billion dollar industries threatened by the legalization of the plant?

What I do have is personal experience, a LOT of personal experience. Was probably one of the biggest pot smokers back in the late 80's and early 90's in my town. What I managed to do while embracing the activity was work almost full time in high school, graduate high school, continue working at the same job while going to college going through essentially 4 years of credits in a 2 year associates degree, graduate, get a "real" job, and maintain that "real" job for 24 years as currently 5th in non-management seniority over 15 (I think) facilities worldwide. The only thing that keeps me from management is I'm too bull headed to fit into the politics of management. I'm a worker and couldn't do a pencil pushing job. Quit when I met my (ex)wife.

My experience with addiction is, you find out you're out of pot and you're really bummed out. Then you go on with your day as normal.

Prior to legalization around the country, I don't believe there is a single pot smoker who would tell you truthfully they have not driven under the influence. Personal experience back in the day, it is VERY difficult to drive.... the speed limit or above. I would not do this today, but my experience tells me that the idiots on their phones all over the roads is FAR more detrimental than people smoking pot.

Current experience in the workforce, every day there are people at work who smoked on the way to work, hid behind inventory or other areas during the work day, and smoked on lunch break. This is production workers up through upper management.

Look around your neighborhood whether in a legal or illegal state. You live with pot smokers. You work with pot smokers. You go roam around the grocery store with pot smokers. You are already driving every day with pot smokers. You are going to the gym with pot smokers. You are going out to eat with pot smokers. They are out there... everywhere you look. You just don't know it.
I don’t care if it’s legal that doesn’t bother me. I’m for legalizing it all b/c all it does now is clog up the prison system. BUT, like alcohol, it isn’t just innocuous. I have treated hundreds in substance treatment centers who were absolutely addicted. But ppl seem to feel it’s “safer” than alcohol or other drugs. It’s not.

I'm a child of the 60's....pot was sold out of my yearbook office. However....I have never, ever tried it, in any form. My ex and my kids on the other hand, use it all the time. Before it was legalized in Mass, my dd had to take her habit out of the house!!! I can't abide the smell of pot, never could. She is an adult, now 42. She currently is living with us....and although pot is now legal, I've told her she has to switch to vaping due to the smell. More expensive, but her choice. My ds and dd and their dad all use pot to self medicate, say it's for anxiety. Fine. And she tells me she isn't addicted. But, I beg to differ. Maybe not physically but certainly emotionally!!! She feels she can't deal with life without it. She's addicted, emotionally.
I've had this discussion with others. I'm not at all sure there are going to be people that never used pot because it was illegal that are now going to go out and get high. Yes, people drive while it is in their system, and I'm hoping for a method to come along to detect the presence of pot when stopped for less than stellar driving. And I tend to agree about cellphones are more dangerous in cars than pot smokers.
Pot, like alcohol, needs to be kept out of the hands of the young. For me, this is the biggest issue, underage use. Young brains aren't ready to use any substance with good results!!!!

That's the problem. It is not addictive in the sense of nicotine or cocaine, where you suffer symptoms of not taking. It is addictive in the sense that it takes you away from troubles and you become use to this escape. Then when you can't afford it, you go to something cheaper or stronger to escape. And that does not usually end up going as well.

I'm a child of the 60's....pot was sold out of my yearbook office. However....I have never, ever tried it, in any form. My ex and my kids on the other hand, use it all the time. Before it was legalized in Mass, my dd had to take her habit out of the house!!! I can't abide the smell of pot, never could. She is an adult, now 42. She currently is living with us....and although pot is now legal, I've told her she has to switch to vaping due to the smell. More expensive, but her choice. My ds and dd and their dad all use pot to self medicate, say it's for anxiety. Fine. And she tells me she isn't addicted. But, I beg to differ. Maybe not physically but certainly emotionally!!! She feels she can't deal with life without it. She's addicted, emotionally.
I've had this discussion with others. I'm not at all sure there are going to be people that never used pot because it was illegal that are now going to go out and get high. Yes, people drive while it is in their system, and I'm hoping for a method to come along to detect the presence of pot when stopped for less than stellar driving. And I tend to agree about cellphones are more dangerous in cars than pot smokers.
Pot, like alcohol, needs to be kept out of the hands of the young. For me, this is the biggest issue, underage use. Young brains aren't ready to use any substance with good results!!!!

Well sure it needs to be kept out of the hands of those underage. But keeping it illegal isn’t doing that. It’s too easy for them to get. Sell it somewhere that has to check IDs and it makes a little harder. It truly is easier for them to get than alcohol.

That's the problem. It is not addictive in the sense of nicotine or cocaine, where you suffer symptoms of not taking. It is addictive in the sense that it takes you away from troubles and you become use to this escape. Then when you can't afford it, you go to something cheaper or stronger to escape. And that does not usually end up going as well.

But that is anything. Video games are addictive in that same way. They can be an escape for someone with depression or anxiety.

Marijuana is not a gateway drug no more than alcohol is.

I personally, think it is much more insidious than most may realize. For medical reasons, I’m fine with it. Otherwise, I do believe ingesting any foreign substance into your lungs can’t be good for the body. Common sense tells me that.

It also affects the brain and actually changes the structure of the brain. That can’t be great for your body either.

I also believe a lot of the stuff I see and hear about in the news is because people or kids are not thinking with clear heads as a result of using it far too much. It does, after all, stay in your system for up to a month. I know it clouds thinking.. In the past couple days, I have seen news stories of young adults flipping out and harming others. I believe if they were testing for marijuana it would show up in a lot of their systems. Just heard of a 20 year old getting out of his car and beating an elderly man because he was driving too slow. Another one I heard of is a 24 year old came home asking to borrow money from the parents and when they didn’t give him enough he stabbed them several times.
Can I prove it is related to Marijuana ? Not at all. But I believe we are hearing more of these stories because people are using it more and their heads are not clear.

To me it can be likened to alcohol. Some people can drink socially and responsible and live normal lives. Others can’t and it changes them and destroys lives and makes them act in ways they normally wouldn’t.

When I hear these stories, I always wish there was a study done of how many of these violent arrests are a result of drugs, marijuana and alcohol.
I sincerely doubt someone who smoked pot would do anything even remotely violent, unless it was laced with something. It can be mentally addictive, but not physically (there is no physical withdrawal, an alcoholic can die by quitting cold turkey). I do not see any health benefits for a healthy person, and my biggest issue is the lack of an immediate test for DUI. I actually know people who smoke it on a regular basis who are pillars in the community (I found this out when my straight laced mom was going through chemo, was given a prescription for medical marijuana, but died before her first appointment, 4 months in the future). My state (NJ) is close, and I hope they tax it to death to lessen our crazy tax burden.

But that is anything. Video games are addictive in that same way. They can be an escape for someone with depression or anxiety.

Marijuana is not a gateway drug no more than alcohol is.

Yes but video games don't lead you to your cheaper next high of heroin, neither does alcohol for the most part. I would be quite surprised if less than 60% of heroin addicts started on something less addictive Pot, or Pain killers.

Recreational pot smokers are not going to turn in to heroine addicts because they decided to smoke pot legally. There are plenty out there now doing it (illegally) that have never made the jump to anything stronger.
Pot doesn't turn you in to a heroine addict, being prone to addiction makes you one. If one is seeking an escape they are going to find it regardless of whether pot is legal or not. We have an opioid crisis in this country, it didn't start when some state legalized marijuana.

Yes but video games don't lead you to your cheaper next high of heroin, neither does alcohol for the most part. I would be quite surprised if less than 60% of heroin addicts started on something less addictive Pot, or Pain killers.
Most start with highly addictive pain killers, either prescribed or illegally purchased. The addiction it quick, and then they turn to cheap heroin just to not feel horrible. This is a documented fact, not a guess. This is why doctors have tremendously cut down on prescribing opioids. Pot is still relatively cheap, prescription opioids are not. Opioids are extremely addictive, pot is not.

Neither does pot. Yes a lot of drug users did smoke pot but just like an article I read said, most Hell’s Angels rode bicycles at one time too. Doesn’t mean riding a bicycle makes one a Hell’s Angel. And smokin gpot doesn’t mean that one will go on to other drugs. The fact is most pot smokers do not.

And not sure I would call pain killers “less addictive”.

Recreational pot smokers are not going to turn in to heroine addicts because they decided to smoke pot legally. There are plenty out there now doing it (illegally) that have never made the jump to anything stronger.
Pot doesn't turn you in to a heroine addict, being prone to addiction makes you one. If one is seeking an escape they are going to find it regardless of whether pot is legal or not. We have an opioid crisis in this country, it didn't start when some state legalized marijuana.

I agree not all pot smokers are going to turn to heroin. Believe me I know a few that headed that way all starting with pot, oxy, etc most did not. Most were not well to do and just fell in with worse crowds. Do I think the well off couple eating a couple of gummies are gonna wind up heroin addicts, no.
Do I think the kid who doesn't have much money and is use to this state, is going to look for a he can afford to feel a high, might? I do.

I also feel and have seen that Pot like any other drug has plateaus, where the user gets used to the high. Some people can deal with the plateaus and are perfectly happy, others cannot.
They get use to it and have to take it to the next level as the effect seems to not be enough for them.
I have also seen this effect on people, and I think it needs to be better understood before I'd think legalizing is a good idea. I think this is a considerable amount guessing 5 -15%. Well if this is the case you are legalizing a substance though not addiciting heads a certain population to a destructive path.

None of the heroin users I know went straight to it. They all were one of the above paths. I do not know many but enough to convince me that a mass population using pot recreationally would up the use of heroin.

Last edited:
Most start with highly addictive pain killers, either prescribed or illegally purchased. The addiction it quick, and then they turn to cheap heroin just to not feel horrible. This is a documented fact, not a guess. This is why doctors have tremendously cut down on prescribing opioids. Pot is still relatively cheap, prescription opioids are not. Opioids are extremely addictive, pot is not.

Without doubt I agree Oxy mostly illegal for the people I knew was the step in between heroin. But to me there seemed a progression from pot, to heavier stuff, to heroin.

If this is the case, then that person has other issues, not issues with being addicted to pot.

Imagine you just dropped your absolute favorite coffee cup and broke it. How do you feel? How about an hour later? That's the same feeling a VERY heavy pot smoker has when they find out they ran out of pot. As I said earlier, you are bummed out, then you go about your day. You can't take other issues and blame it on pot when the other issues is the issue.

Well sure it needs to be kept out of the hands of those underage. But keeping it illegal isn’t doing that. It’s too easy for them to get. Sell it somewhere that has to check IDs and it makes a little harder. It truly is easier for them to get than alcohol.
If it is illegal now for anyone including teenagers to smoke pot, how is legalizing for adults going to now prevent the kids from continuing to buy it illegally?

I'm morally opposed to the use of any substance for the purpose of intoxication and if anybody doesn't think getting stoned is intoxicating, they're kidding themselves. I took every opportunity available to lobby against recreational legalization here including voting for a federal party other than the one that brought it in. (FTR medical use was already legal and has been for some time.)

I live in England and so our laws are different (it hasn’t been legalised here yet) and personally I am 100% in favour of legalising it for medicinal use, and when it is clinically required. That said, I don’t support the legalisation of marijuana for recreational use. There are health concerns, safety concerns, and society concerns around using it like this. Whether or not the additional tax revenue it brings or the potential economic growth outweighs the dangers is a tricky one. I’m sure that one of the main reasons that the U.K. hasn’t banned smoking (tobacco) yet is because of the massive tax revenue and boosts to the economy it brings. It definitely seems like a trade off between money, and people’s health IMO. I hate walking down the street being forced to inhale someone’s cigarette smoke and I doubt I’d enjoy smelling cannabis either. ;)

If this is the case, then that person has other issues, not issues with being addicted to pot.

Imagine you just dropped your absolute favorite coffee cup and broke it. How do you feel? How about an hour later? That's the same feeling a VERY heavy pot smoker has when they find out they ran out of pot. As I said earlier, you are bummed out, then you go about your day. You can't take other issues and blame it on pot when the other issues is the issue.

If it is illegal now for anyone including teenagers to smoke pot, how is legalizing for adults going to now prevent the kids from continuing to buy it illegally?

If it’s legal and those with the most money (adults) are buying it legally, it isn’t going to really pay for anyone to be illegally selling pot as they do now. Teens aren’t out buying alcohol from bootleggers.

Making pot legal will put the illegal sellers out of business just as ending prohibition put most of the bootleggers out of business. (There are exceptions but they really are few and far between).

Many of the dealers sell other stuff as well. It is not like probation in that way.
And to be honest I fear it will push them to sell either stronger pot(laced with God's know what) or try to get people hooked on worse stuff.
Some just sell pot, but I think they are smaller dealers, still pot is probably significant amount many of their revenue streams.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!