For people who rent points, what are your thoughts for next summer?

lynnfitz

DIS Veteran
Hi, just wondering what other folks were doing-we usually rent points for a stay in late August, or beginning of Sept. This year we were fortunate enough to be able to move the reservation from August to October. The girl I rented points from, her points expired in November, so that was the reasoning behind the Oct trip (just got back a week ago). Usually right after the holidays, I book for the following summer-but of course you can't just cancel a DVC reservation like a hotel-wondering how others were handling this? Not renting points until we see what happens with the Pandemic? My thought was to hold off until maybe early Spring, then rent points, but by then not sure about availability. Any thoughts, just wondering what other renters are thinking? We were fine with going, wearing masks etc., but we do live in NY so we are in the middle of quarantining right now. It's just with the uncertainty of the virus, not sure what to do! thank you!

I agree, assuming the vaccine is 90% effective, as reported. It really depends upon how soon they can get it into wide distribution. Which may be 2nd or 3rd quarter 2021. And while I would assume almost any new vaccine is safe for humans to use, I'll wait a month or so after distribution gets going well, just to be cautious and see how well it's working.

Last edited:
If you are planning late Aug or early Sept 2021, it's usually not as busy as Oct.

It's so nice to hear some encouraging news regarding the virus. Hopefully a summer vacation will work out fine, just have to wait and see and pray this vaccine helps everyone-

If it was open this year during those months, it should be much better by next year at this time. I have a trip planned for early April and then am supposed to be going to the Aulani early June so am talking my own position here a bit but between the vaccine, testing and treatment progress being made I have a high degree of confidence in both of those trips.

I've also rented points for next SEPT. Week before the Oct 1st celebration, aligned to wife's birthday. Got BCV to support EPCOT'S F&W Festival. I'm hopeful things will be relatively normal by then, but we're prepared for the current state of play as well (limited options, no Hopper, masks all day, etc).

Just based on discussions with other avid Dis'ers, I think people are just beginning to think about going to WDW next summer.

Personally, I would roll the dice and book it. There's a chance attendance could be higher than typical if Covid numbers have decreased and people who had to cancel this year decide to travel next year. It also is close to the 50th anniversary which will likely have special events that I'm sure will drive up attendance. You'll want to have something secured before things start to book up. I can't imagine a scenario where things will be as bad again next summer that would cause WDW to have to close again, so I think the only iffy factor would be what our Governor in NY decides to do with the travel policy and how that affects your situation (i.e. can you quarantine, can you get tested, etc).

Thanks, that’s how we’re feeling now, I know nobody knows for sure what next summer will look like, hopefully it can’t be worse than this year, and with the anniversary I was thinking the same thing about dvc booking up

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter