?? for parents of teens

goofeyshell

Mouseketeer
We will be at wdw in a few weeks and a friend of my son's will travel with us - they are both 14. Do you always keep an adult with the teens or to you allow them to 'hit the parks' by themselves. My feeling is this is a family place (and trip)and we will be visiting the parks as a family. How have you dealt with this....or if you remember previous posts can you direct me. Thanks!

If it were me I would give the kids some freedom. Maybe give them the morning alone in the park and then meet them for lunch and spend the afternoon together. If you can get ahold of some two way radios that would be a good way to keep in touch with them also.

Spending time with the family is great but kids also need to learn how to conduct themselves without parental supervision and this would be a good way to develop this.

My mom, kids and I are going in June. My kids are 13 and 14. We have decided that they can spend some of the time away from grandma and mom...as long as it is in the same park and they use the 2 way radios. They are both very happy with that arrangement and know that we will be together at meal times also.

I would start by giving them an hour or 2 at a time & see how that works. Let them go off by themselves for a bit & give them a meeting place & time. If they are responsible with that then give them a little more freedom the next day.

Before all that though, I would check with the other boys' parents & see what their opinion is also.

We planned lots of family time - but did let our oldest 2 dd's
(12 & 15) spend some time off doing things they wanted -
I can only take space mountain about 3 times in a row - they wanted more!
Wish we had done the radios - you do have to spend more down time waiting - we always had a time frame to meet - but told them if they were almost through a line for an attraction at the meeting time - to go ahead and ride and we would wait.
(they took full advantage - very rarely showed up at the begining of the meeting time frame)

I agree it is family time, but with a 5 and 13 it is hard to keep them both happy all of the time. My 10DNi was also along on our last trip. DNi isn't into thrill rides and rather ride the smaller stuff with DD. DSi and I both like thrill rides. Anyway we stayed together most of the time but let DS go off alone (with a radio) for a while. DSi and I usually caught up with him (leaving DH and DM with the girls) eventually and then we would all get back together for more family time. I say give them some tiem off on their own but insist on family time too.

It is family time, but you'll all value the time you spend doing things you all want to do better if you all spend a little time alone.

Let them ride Rockin' Rollercoaster a million times while you go over to the Boardwalk and have a leasurely meal at Flying Fish. Let them go down the biggest waterslide at Blizzard Beach over and over, while you float quietly in a inner tube. Let them wait for Test Track over and over, while you shop World Showcase.

I'm not suggesting this for them (although they will love the freedom of being fourteen and on their own for two hours) but for you. You may be different, but I'd go bonkers spending 24 hours a day with two fourteen year old boys!

Thanks for all the 'thoughts'.....We have all been very excited thinking about showing someone the 'world' who has never been there.

I can remember having the run of DL in the 6th grade. Turn them loose.

Some things that might make you feel easier would be requiring them to eat with you, so you can meet up once or twice during the day. Send them out with walkie talkies if youd like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter