For info - using the SOS App

Madhattermad

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I’d post my experience of using the SoS app this morning. Firstly, it’s sequential so one part needs to be completed before you move to the other. However, overall it was pretty quick even if at times not completely intuitive.

So first you need to download the app and agree to a bunch of useage and privacy clauses and add some very basic info. Name and passport number etc. From there it asks if you are using it for entry to Japan in a pop up and you need to select ‘yes’ - this changes the main page of the app. which begins as ‘red’. You then click the bottom left hand registration icon (don’t be put off by some of this being in Japanese).

When you press the icon, it takes you to a web page which links your originally inputted personal details and passport number etc. and you have 4/5 sections you need to fill in sequentially. The first you need to upload a picture of your passport into. It takes about 5-10 minutes of this being completed and marked ‘scanning’ before it’s approved and you can move on. The next section is a health questionnaire and is easy enough.

Next you need to upload your vaccine certificate and this is where it got a little tricky for me because the UK paper copy of the NHS certificate only lists your last two vaccines, not them all which the app rejected as it didn’t show all three! Luckily for me (sorry to other UK folk!) as I’m a diplomat and got my vaccines in Rwanda (NHS jabs) I also have a Rwandan certificate which does list all of my vaccines, so when I resubmitted this paper document (attaching the file), it was very quickly accepted - maybe like 15 mins later. If your host country’s cert lists all your jabs, you should have no issues. However, AstraZeneka boosters are not accepted by the Japanese.

IMPORTANT INFO: My other issue here is my little. As she isn’t vaccinated and has no certificate, I had to mark that she would not be uploading a certificate which then turned the app ‘yellow’ even though I was cleared and ‘blue’.

I emailed the fast track email address and they confirmed if you have a child who is covered under your vaccine arrangements then the app will not turn ‘blue’ it will stay yellow but this still makes you eligible for travel. Again the email response was very quick, less than an hour.

If you are not vaccinated and are uploading test results, there is another section for that but I didn’t need to use it.

Tomorrow I head to the airport and I’ll let you know if I have any issues.

Hopefully this was helpful.

Best

K.

Thanks for this, I'd be very interested about your experience of actually using it at the airport. I set mine up a few days ago (for a trip in a couple of weeks) and it's turned blue. I had quite a lot of trouble entering my address in Japan (it's not the easiest user interface) but got there in the end. I'll be taking paper copies of my vaccine certificate as well (as I understand it, these are also accepted). For info I'm also from the UK and I exported my vaccination certificate from the NHS app, which resulted in one PDF with four pages (I've had four jabs) which I uploaded and was accepted.

Thanks for the info! Would love to hear about your experience at TDR too when you get back.

Did you see that they came out with the Wakuwari discount for being vaxxed or tested? 20% off tickets. I think you can get the difference back if you already bought direct with Disney. I didn't see any mention of the types of vaccine certificates that are accepted, so hopefully foreign ones are ok. Also didn't see anything about needing to be a resident of Japan like the discount at Universal.

Have a great trip!

Hi everyone,
I’m here and the process at the airport was so smooth, it was the easiest travel I’ve done in ages. I was worried about going in with the app being yellow but they didn’t blink an eyelid and knew instinctively it was because of my daughter, I didn’t have to produce paper copies of the vaccines certificate, they just scanned the QR code and had everything. All in all very simple. Oh and for those who saw my other post asking about if the airport limo buses from Narita were running, they are! I didn’t use it as I had already made alternative arrangements but we saw the stop showing the next bus when we left the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter