For anyone who has stayed at BC with kids!

stephk1981

DIS Veteran
We love BC, DS ( 10 at time of trip) loves the slide. I have always exited the SAB area to walk him over the the slide stairs entrance( across the pathway.) This past April trip before DH came down for the second half of the trip,I had DD (now 11 months) with me also. Every time he wanted to go on the slide I followed him over with baby in tow.......my question, how old did you allow your children to cross over to the slide area alone? We are going again in November, I don't want to make DD get in and out of the pool to walk him over ( weather may be too cold to drag her in and out dozens of times.) I tend to be very cautious with safety as DS was almost taken from us. I don't know if it is age appropriate for him to go alone yet, and me wait at the bottom near the whirlpool area with DD? Or I should still trail him? I tend to keep both children in sight at all times, but I don't want to limit him or be overbearing. Thank you.

Last edited:
I let my 9 and 11 year olds use it unsupervised. I kept my 4 year old twins @nd 6 year old with me. We have a pool, and they had swim lessons most of their lives and swam on a team.

We love BC, DS ( 10 at time of trip) loves the slide. I have always exited the SAB area to walk him over the the slide stairs entrance( across the pathway.) This past April trip before DH came down for the second half of the trip,I had DD (now 11 months) with me also. Every time he wanted to go on the slide I followed him over with baby in tow.......my question, how old did you allow your children to cross over to the slide area alone? We are going again in November, I don't want to make DD get in and out of the pool to walk him over ( weather may be too cold to drag her in and out dozens of times.) I tend to be very cautious with safety as DS was almost taken from us. I don't know if it is age appropriate for him to go alone yet, and me wait at the bottom near the whirlpool area with DD? Or I should still trail him? I tend to keep both children in sight at all times, but I don't want to limit him or be overbearing. Thank you.
I would wait near bottom of slide as how much are you going to be able to watch him with younger child who is moveable and maybe not wanting t be where you want to be. you are really going to have to watch her even when on deck so she doesn't take off on you which means your eyes are not going to be on your son. the pool part of this trip is not going to be easy unless you have 2 sets of eyes so one can be in charge of son and other daughter

I would wait near bottom of slide as how much are you going to be able to watch him with younger child who is moveable and maybe not wanting t be where you want to be. you are really going to have to watch her even when on deck so she doesn't take off on you which means your eyes are not going to be on your son. the pool part of this trip is not going to be easy unless you have 2 sets of eyes so one can be in charge of son and other daughter
You are right! Lol....the pool at BC is not fun trying to keep track of multiple children alone. I guess I will have to * hope* he listens and just wait at the bottom of the slide. Thanks for the feedback!

I let my 9 and 11 year olds use it unsupervised. I kept my 4 year old twins @nd 6 year old with me. We have a pool, and they had swim lessons most of their lives and swam on a team.

Thank you! To be honest he only swims maybe a handful of times during the year, when we go on vacation. We live near the beach, but he won't swim in the ocean....so while he CAN swim, he isn't a strong swimmer for his age. My worry is more of someone abducting him, not him drowning. It just seems like there are always so many people on that path going towards Epcot, but I know a lot of kids go back and forth to the slide. It sounds like 10 is a good age to give him the freedom to try this year though. Thanks again

Last edited:
Thank you! To be honest he only swims maybe a handful of times during the year, when we go on vacation. We live near the beach, but he won't swim in the ocean....so while he CAN swim, he isn't a strong swimmer for his age. My worry is more of someone abducting him, not him drowning. He isn't in danger of drowning on the slide, and is tall enough to touch the bottom everywhere except the lazy river.
if that is your worry I would begin to start working with him to yell/make a scene if someone tries to move him other than guard. you have yet to be at pool with second moveable child from what you have said. you are going to find this trip very different as you will have to keep your eyes on the toddler all the time esp when that child is on deck. been there done it not easy.

Thank you! To be honest he only swims maybe a handful of times during the year, when we go on vacation. We live near the beach, but he won't swim in the ocean....so while he CAN swim, he isn't a strong swimmer for his age. My worry is more of someone abducting him, not him drowning. It just seems like there are always so many people on that path going towards Epcot, but I know a lot of kids go back and forth to the slide. It sounds like 10 is a good age to give him the freedom to try this year though. Thanks again
I'm not trying to tell you what to worry about, but I don't believe any children have ever been abducted from WDW.
Children who are 8 or older are fine to ride an attraction by themselves.

Whereas, there have been at least two fatal child drownings in Disney resort pools in semi-recent memory (Pop and AoA).

if that is your worry I would begin to start working with him to yell/make a scene if someone tries to move him other than guard. you have yet to be at pool with second moveable child from what you have said. you are going to find this trip very different as you will have to keep your eyes on the toddler all the time esp when that child is on deck. been there done it not easy.
Yes, much easier when she was in the ergo this past trip! Thank you for the tip, we will talk to DS more about this! My husband's job travels often, so we homeschool.....DS is used to me being there by his side pretty much at all times. New baby was a big surprise, but time to grow up ;)

I'm not trying to tell you what to worry about, but I don't believe any children have ever been abducted from WDW.

Whereas, there have been at least two fatal child drownings in Disney resort pools in semi-recent memory (Pop and AoA).

That makes me feel better, thank you! I will be at the bottom of the slide, and following him around the other SAB areas. We had an incident when DS was 4, not at Disney. I realize he's much older now.....just hard to let go after that.

That makes me feel better, thank you! I will be at the bottom of the slide, and following him around the other SAB areas. We had an incident when DS was 4, not at Disney. I realize he's much older now.....just hard to let go after that.

I understand your concern. My DS is about to turn 11 and, only now, would I feel comfortable having him cross the path and go up to the slide on his own. I would still sit at the bottom of the slide and worry until I saw him come out of the slide. It's not him I'm worried about. It's the other people he'll encounter on his way to the slide and waiting in line. I we stayed at BC when he was younger, I would always go down the slide right after him (which I know you can't do). That way I had eyes on him until he went down and the lifeguard had eyes on him for the very brief time it would take me to get down the slide. He's also a very strong swimmer, so the water part didn't concern me as much. Have you ever considered switching to BWI? I love that pool area as you can see your child as they walk up to the slide, wait for the slide and come down. You could stay in the pool with your little one and still have eyes on your DS the whole time.

I understand your concern. My DS is about to turn 11 and, only now, would I feel comfortable having him cross the path and go up to the slide on his own. I would still sit at the bottom of the slide and worry until I saw him come out of the slide. It's not him I'm worried about. It's the other people he'll encounter on his way to the slide and waiting in line. I we stayed at BC when he was younger, I would always go down the slide right after him (which I know you can't do). That way I had eyes on him until he went down and the lifeguard had eyes on him for the very brief time it would take me to get down the slide. He's also a very strong swimmer, so the water part didn't concern me as much. Have you ever considered switching to BWI? I love that pool area as you can see your child as they walk up to the slide, wait for the slide and come down. You could stay in the pool with your little one and still have eyes on your DS the whole time.
Thank you, yes I worry about anyone he may encounter. Unfortunately we have stayed at BWI, DS hated the pool because of the clown :(. We are only at BC for a few nights then move to Poly for 7, that pool is much more manageable for me alone with the kids! I appreciate your input :) Now I am torn on what to do. DS is shy, I don't know what he would actually do in a bad situation. We can tell him what to do and ' coach' him to yell stranger, which we have. At the end of the day though, I have no idea how he would actually react :( that's what scares me

Last edited:
We stayed at YC in July and the kiddos (aged 9 to 12.5) used the SAB slide solo after their first descent. I was very comfortable with the professionalism of the pool CMs and fact that an MB scan and special wristband was needed to enter the area.

We stayed at YC in July and the kiddos (aged 9 to 12.5) used the SAB slide solo after their first descent. I was very comfortable with the professionalism of the pool CMs and fact that an MB scan and special wristband was needed to enter the area.

I agree! All of the CM's at SAB are great. I just don't like that you leave the area to cross the pathway to the slide......but obviously I knew about it before booking.

I let my son cross unsupervised from our first Yacht Club stay when my son was 10. He's a responsibile kid who I trusted not to run off or cause trouble.

I agree! All of the CM's at SAB are great. I just don't like that you leave the area to cross the pathway to the slide......but obviously I knew about it before booking.

I noted what seemed to be 2 surveillance cameras by the crossover area plus realised that the special band worked as an identifying marker for the CM located at the top of the slide as well as the one at the lower level "baby" slide and took a gamble that my "traveling maniacs" could cross the Boardwalk safely.

It's really about how observant you feel your child is:).

I noted what seemed to be 2 surveillance cameras by the crossover area plus realised that the special band worked as an identifying marker for the CM located at the top of the slide as well as the one at the lower level "baby" slide and took a gamble that my "traveling maniacs" could cross the Boardwalk safely.

It's really about how observant you feel your child is:).

Yes it is, hopefully he will be observant! I never realized they had surveillance cameras on that area.....that makes me feel much safer. Thanks for sharing!

Not sure if it has changed but during my stay at the Beach Club a few years ago they wouldn't let the parents wait in the pool at the bottom of the slide.

Also, it is worth keeping in mind that the lifeguards shouldn't be the only one watching your children in the pool. My sis was just getting out of her chair, ready to jump in to help a child in distress when the lifeguard finally noticed and jumped in.

There are always firsts though. I do remember hearing that people try all the time there and don’t succeed atleast I’m the parks. Maybe give him a whistle or something he can put around his neck to blow in case there was ever a situation? Maybe a whistle isn’t the best choice since the lifeguards probably have that. Just trying to think of what would make you feel more comfortable.

Not sure if it has changed but during my stay at the Beach Club a few years ago they wouldn't let the parents wait in the pool at the bottom of the slide.

Also, it is worth keeping in mind that the lifeguards shouldn't be the only one watching your children in the pool. My sis was just getting out of her chair, ready to jump in to help a child in distress when the lifeguard finally noticed and jumped in.
That hasn't really changed (for safety reasons) although if you say go down the slide with your blind as a bat eyeglasses still on and they fall off in the 3.6 ft water they'll let your entire family in the pool to help you find them until a CM locates them with an underwater camera. Oh and also shut down the slide until they are located.
Not that this ever happened to me.....:rolleyes1

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!