For a solo traveler on a budget, should I get cheap offsite or go for a Disney value resort?

TornadoTitan

Biggest Nick Wilde Fan!
I only been to WDW once last year, but saw a chance to do a last minute trip to Orlando first week of October so taking it (despite what the responsible, money wary side of me thinks) and planning the trip out now. I will be flying in from a business convention in Atlanta and when I leave will be flying back home to Texas, after a 4 night stay.

Since I have a limited budget I am working with and am a solo traveler so can't split travel and hotel costs I am split between doing a cheap budget hotel or Disney Resort. I never been to a Disney hotel aside from the one at Disneyland, but see that advantage of keeping that Disney magic with me outside the parks, the Magical Express from the airport, luggage to the rooms, extra magic hours, and shuttles to the parks as a plus. On the other hand as I plan to spend most of my time at the parks and looking around Orlando, I don't really plan on being at the hotel aside from sleeping, so really need no TV, pool, room service, etc. The cheapest Disney hotel at the time is All Star Sports at around $140 a night. So 4 nights would be $560. So getting this plus 4 park tickets would basically right under the budget I allowed myself for this trip, with just enough money for very cheap food and that's it.

On the other hand I am looking at budget offsite hotels like Seralago and Red Lion, which are $25-40 a night, which at around $120-160 for 4 nights would basically be cheaper than just one night at the cheapest Disney hotel. Calculating the cost of shuttles and Lyft/Uber to and from the airport and parks, it would still make this option much cheaper by $100-300, meaning I would have extra spending money for food at Food and Wine, souvenirs, and other things. Downside is, looking out on extra magic hours, having to get my own rides to and from the airport, and rides to the park (though the hotels says they have complimentary shuttles to the parks, reviews show they are not consistent). Also for hotels in that low price range the reviews are mixed to poor, though I am not expecting or needing resort level comforts, just a place to sleep for the night and keep my luggage.

For other solo travelers out there, do you normally do Disney Resort, off site hotel, or even AirBNB? Would definitely like to hear ideas from others.

I only been to WDW once last year, but saw a chance to do a last minute trip to Orlando first week of October so taking it (despite what the responsible, money wary side of me thinks) and planning the trip out now. I will be flying in from a business convention in Atlanta and when I leave will be flying back home to Texas, after a 4 night stay.

Since I have a limited budget I am working with and am a solo traveler so can't split travel and hotel costs I am split between doing a cheap budget hotel or Disney Resort. I never been to a Disney hotel aside from the one at Disneyland, but see that advantage of keeping that Disney magic with me outside the parks, the Magical Express from the airport, luggage to the rooms, extra magic hours, and shuttles to the parks as a plus. On the other hand as I plan to spend most of my time at the parks and looking around Orlando, I don't really plan on being at the hotel aside from sleeping, so really need no TV, pool, room service, etc. The cheapest Disney hotel at the time is All Star Sports at around $140 a night. So 4 nights would be $560. So getting this plus 4 park tickets would basically right under the budget I allowed myself for this trip, with just enough money for very cheap food and that's it.

On the other hand I am looking at budget offsite hotels like Seralago and Red Lion, which are $25-40 a night, which at around $120-160 for 4 nights would basically be cheaper than just one night at the cheapest Disney hotel. Calculating the cost of shuttles and Lyft/Uber to and from the airport and parks, it would still make this option much cheaper by $100-300, meaning I would have extra spending money for food at Food and Wine, souvenirs, and other things. Downside is, looking out on extra magic hours, having to get my own rides to and from the airport, and rides to the park (though the hotels says they have complimentary shuttles to the parks, reviews show they are not consistent). Also for hotels in that low price range the reviews are mixed to poor, though I am not expecting or needing resort level comforts, just a place to sleep for the night and keep my luggage.

For other solo travelers out there, do you normally do Disney Resort, off site hotel, or even AirBNB? Would definitely like to hear ideas from others.

EMH won't heavily affect you during the first week of October, except maybe Animal Kingdom(it would be beneficial with Pandora). The reviews for the hotels I believe have often been people expecting more than they paid for. I stayed at the Super 8 last time and it wasn't bad. No frills but not bad. Unless you could justify staying on-site, you would be better served by staying off-site some how and using that extra money to enjoy yourself. Most of the Maingate area is within ten minutes of the park entrances, and further up International Drive near SeaWorld is around 15-20 minutes. If you have to cut your vacation budget to the bone to stay on-site, it would not be worth it. At least those are my thoughts, and I am usually no frills. Another option may be to do a single night on-site, giving you two days of EMH(On site benefits run out at midnight the evening after you checkout). Also, have you thought about doing MNSSHP or do you plan to skip that?

For solo trips, I ALWAYS stay offsite. My criteria is something relatively quiet, fairly close to the parks and comfortable beds. Like you, I tend to spend most of my waking time in the parks. My new favorite is SpringHill Suites at Flamingo Crossing, which is practically on-property at the end of the Western Way entrance to WDW. I've been able to get rooms for $65-$75 a night there. For your dates, check their website (SpringHill is a Marriott property) and also check last minute travel (.com). I'm about to stay there for the fourth time later this week...the place is only a year old and very comfortable (free breakfast too!).

The other thing with offsite that I always tell anyone is to make sure you have a car (I guess uber would be ok too). Many offsite hotels will say they have shuttles, but they really strap you down schedule-wise and there's no guarantee they won't be full, etc. But if you do rent a car, also remember you'll be paying $20/day to park (unless you have an AP), so factor that in.

For solo trips, I ALWAYS stay offsite. My criteria is something relatively quiet, fairly close to the parks and comfortable beds. Like you, I tend to spend most of my waking time in the parks. My new favorite is SpringHill Suites at Flamingo Crossing, which is practically on-property at the end of the Western Way entrance to WDW. I've been able to get rooms for $65-$75 a night there. For your dates, check their website (SpringHill is a Marriott property) and also check last minute travel (.com). I'm about to stay there for the fourth time later this week...the place is only a year old and very comfortable (free breakfast too!).

The other thing with offsite that I always tell anyone is to make sure you have a car (I guess uber would be ok too). Many offsite hotels will say they have shuttles, but they really strap you down schedule-wise and there's no guarantee they won't be full, etc. But if you do rent a car, also remember you'll be paying $20/day to park (unless you have an AP), so factor that in.

Uber does work fantastic for WDW. I know for MK, it drops off at the bus depot at the Ticket and Transportation Center, so basically if you already have your ticket you are ready to go to the park.

EMH won't heavily affect you during the first week of October, except maybe Animal Kingdom(it would be beneficial with Pandora). The reviews for the hotels I believe have often been people expecting more than they paid for. I stayed at the Super 8 last time and it wasn't bad. No frills but not bad. Unless you could justify staying on-site, you would be better served by staying off-site some how and using that extra money to enjoy yourself. Most of the Maingate area is within ten minutes of the park entrances, and further up International Drive near SeaWorld is around 15-20 minutes. If you have to cut your vacation budget to the bone to stay on-site, it would not be worth it. At least those are my thoughts, and I am usually no frills. Another option may be to do a single night on-site, giving you two days of EMH(On site benefits run out at midnight the evening after you checkout). Also, have you thought about doing MNSSHP or do you plan to skip that?

Yes I am thinking of doing the Mickey's Halloween even for Tuesday evening.

I am going solo in November staying at Pop Century. I am going with family in October staying at Pop Century. I have strong preference for staying on site--EMH, free parking, Disney bubble. I always drive, so have a car--not really worried about the buses, but they are there if I want one. I find the values to be similar to what I pay other places, for example at the beach. I certainly do not want a house or condo, have no desire to cook or do laundry while on vacation. Ultimately, we all have our budgets, and choose how to spend them.

I am going solo in November staying at Pop Century. I am going with family in October staying at Pop Century. I have strong preference for staying on site--EMH, free parking, Disney bubble. I always drive, so have a car--not really worried about the buses, but they are there if I want one. I find the values to be similar to what I pay other places, for example at the beach. I certainly do not want a house or condo, have no desire to cook or do laundry while on vacation. Ultimately, we all have our budgets, and choose how to spend them.

Nothing wrong with that. I am actually planning a hybrid approach for my upcoming trip. A day at one of the values, to give me access to EMH for MK(my full day there) and AK, and then the rest of the trip off site, since Epcot and Hollywood Studios I won't need EMH for. The only remaining question is whether or not to get Park Hoppers for the trip.

Nothing wrong with that. I am actually planning a hybrid approach for my upcoming trip. A day at one of the values, to give me access to EMH for MK(my full day there) and AK, and then the rest of the trip off site, since Epcot and Hollywood Studios I won't need EMH for. The only remaining question is whether or not to get Park Hoppers for the trip.
Park hoppers = waste of money to me. Waste too much time getting between parks. I rarely do it even in years I have an annual pass.

Park hoppers = waste of money to me. Waste too much time getting between parks. I rarely do it even in years I have an annual pass.

I would decide at the parks but am considering it mainly for Epcot's restaurants/kiosks.

I've done solo trips both on-site and off-site. Both are totally valid ways to stay. On-site is going to cost a lot more. Even at Disney's very high prices, the rooms at every price are booked close to capacity -- so obviously a lot of guests are seeing value in being inside the Disney bubble. And those prices keep being driven up.

Off-site hotels require you to make some sacrifices, but if it helps you use your budget wisely, I think the trade-offs are fine. I wouldn't rely on the hotel shuttles... I did that once and the shuttle ran 90 minutes (!!!) behind schedule and made so many stops, it was a waste of valuable park time. Even the number 50 Orlando bus ran every 30 minutes and was faster. But Lyft and Uber have been a game changer. Sometimes MCO has really cheap last minute rental cars, but you'll have to pay for parking.

I personally like park hoppers, especially during Epcot Food & Wine Festival. There are so many tasty things to sample, and other fun activities, I'd end up at Epcot on multiple days just to enjoy that festival. And since I was solo, I didn't have to convince anyone else about a last minute change in plans to go for a taste of Canadian cheese soup or an African beef skewer.

I would decide at the parks but am considering it mainly for Epcot's restaurants/kiosks.
Good point - FW at Epcot or dining at HS.... yeah - Epcot wins there.... But for the price of a park hopper?

Good point - FW at Epcot or dining at HS.... yeah - Epcot wins there.... But for the price of a park hopper?

I was kinda thinking I could add some extra time in Epcot that way, revisiting my favorite kiosks. I will be spending a day and a half each in Epcot and Magic Kingdom due to MNSSHP, so that would be an easy way to take a break during my day at MK as well. I will be doing evening EMH at MK and morning EMH at AK, assuming I can get an on-site room. After that, moving off property for the other three days to save a bit of money. That's my plan for now...like I said, hybrid.

Then you will need to stay off-site unless you already have that budgeted in with your regular tickets.

Yup I ended up going for a budget, though through Amoma which I found out after I book seems a bit sketchy for others, though I used them before so hope they are good. And got my MNSSHP ticket for the day I fly in.

Yup I ended up going for a budget, though through Amoma which I found out after I book seems a bit sketchy for others, though I used them before so hope they are good. And got my MNSSHP ticket for the day I fly in.

Glad to hear you got it sorted. I have to exchange my party ticket for a later date, but it turned out to be advantageous for me to spend one night on site and the rest at an off site. Gotta do what works for you though.

What about AirBnB? I have a friend who uses that for her solo offsite stays and swears by it, but I have no idea what the costs might be.

What about AirBnB? I have a friend who uses that for her solo offsite stays and swears by it, but I have no idea what the costs might be.

Usually comparable to a hotel, but since it is privately owned, the owners can also jack up the price. Something you have to watch for on that, but most people are honest about renting out rooms/apartments.

If I wasn't staying on-site, I would have to get a car. Uber/Lyft are useful in most situations but I think having a car is worth the money. It could end up cheaper than getting rides everywhere, and allows you to get to off-site, cheap food sources.

I would personally be very careful with cheap hotels. If I'm not onsite or staying in another city then I usually look at the Marriott brands first, then medium priced independent hotels and Hilton brands. A motel that costs $25 a night with maintenance and services that reflect that might ruin some of the magic of a Disney vacation.

I am looking forward to my first solo trip. I do not have money to throw away. I never considered off site. I never considered spending the money for deluxe. I did consider spending the money for moderate when the only value available was AOA at $319/night which was more than the moderates, but decided that the real value hotels fit my budget the best.

As far as staying other places than Disney and trying to save money on the room, I do enjoy finding an inexpensive room, but I will NEVER stay in a hotel/motel that does not qualify for the AAA book again. I learned that lesson the hard way. The only times I ever stayed in a place that was totally unacceptable, which happened twice during my marriage and once before, were the times I stayed in a place that was not listed in the AAA book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!