For a first timer .... what's "don't miss" on the 3 day?

wdwobsessed

Work hard, Play hard. :)
First time cruiser on DCL and compulsive planner ...... but love it!

Looking over sample navigators ( yes, I know they can change, but seem to change very little ) ... what are the do not miss activities?

It's me and DH (early 30's .. but mid 20's mentally ..lol) and our two sons ages 2 1/2 and 6.

Thanks for the input.

wdwo

PS - would it be totally heartbreaking if we miss Palos' ? DH and I are not sure that is the way we want to spend our adult only night!

Hi wdwobsessed,

I went on my first cruise in Sept 2001, this too was a three days and they are just so much fun.

Its kind of difficult what to advise you what not to miss as there is just so much to do, also i went as part of my honeymoon so what was important to me may well not be to you as you have a family. But here goes anyway.

We really enjoyed making the most of our room, we were upgraded to a cat 3 so we really enjoyed watching late night vidoes and having breakfast on the veranda (SP?). Also we are not into shows very much so we only saw half of one and i cant remember the name of it - sorry im not going to be much use am I!

We did however really enjoy palo's as it was very romantic, but that depends really if you want to leave your children for one night.

The sailaway party is a must and so are the cocktails that are served during it, i felt like a child again, it was so much fun.

The weather for us at Castaway Cay & The Bahama's was pants! Rain, rain and more rain so i cant comment there apart from that there's a really great Gucci shop:D

We also played bingo which was great fun and also enjoyed the dualing pianos.

Im sure that people with young children will be able to help you out with the rest.

have a great time

Emma

Dont miss...
Disney Dreams
Castaway Cay
Cookies BBQ on Castaway Cay(best food of the cruise, IMO)
Pools on board(my kids favorite part)
Dont try to do everything, you cant and youll just run yourselves ragged trying.

As for missing Palo being heartbreaking...we missed it and still had a great time. Sure I would have liked to have gone, and Im sure it would have been delicious, but we stayed with the kids and still enjoyed ourselves. I think in a way its good to miss it on your first Disney cruise. That way you get to experience all 3 restaurants and you have an excuse to go back again. Next trip is just DH and myself so this time Palos is a must for us. ;)

Have a great trip!

If you have early seating for dinner request a late seating at Palos and then take your kids to the regular restaurant, sit with them, soak up the atmosphere, have a drink and an appetizer....then drop them at Flounders and the kids program and enjoy Palos together! That way you don't miss the third restaurant, your kids get to eat with mom and day and you get to try a romantic dinner alone. Thats my idea. HOpe you have a magical cruise.

We REALLY enjoyed the shows, especially "Disney Dreams" and I can't wait to see it again. Exploring Castaway Cay was also a highlight. There is SO MUCH to see and do. I wish I didn't have to sleep. Have a great time!

KarenT

It won't break your heart if you don't do Palo (but stop reading the Boards!). We've been twice on Magic and not seen inside the place! Must do's are Disney Dreams and family time at Castaway Cay. If those weren't there, that would break my heart!

lookingforward .... I LOVE your idea of doing dinner with the kids and then to PALO. Since this is our family vacation, I want to spend time with the kids, but we are going to WDW for 5 nights following and I would love to have the opportunity to have dinner with DH alone on one night. Thanks for the idea! Anymore? Keep them coming!!!!!

My family and I (DH, Me, DS9 & DD4) took the 3 night cruise in Dec 2001. First of all, remember that you will NEVER be able to do eveything that the cruise has to offer in three days. My husband and I didn't have time to do Palo, but we wished we could have. Don't miss any of the shows. My family and I loved them. The sail away party was great. We only got off in Nassau for a few hours to go shopping. We spent the rest of the day enjoying the ship. Castaway Cay was worth going on the cruise alone. We spent the whole day on the beach. We swam, snorkled, and ate lots of good food at Cookies. Don't miss the fruit stand. My kids loved the fresh mangos. We were one of the last ones to get back on the ship because we wanted to enjoy the beach as long as we could. I was pleasantly surprised at the character photo opportunities. I felt we never had to wait very long and we were able to get tons of great pictures. ( My own and the ones we bought at Shutters.) I enjoyed the cruise more than WDW. It was on first time to both, but my family enjoyed the more relaxed feel of the cruise. Hope your family has a wonderful time!

As everyone else has said, DO NOT miss Disney Dreams! In 18 cruises, we have seen it 19 times (slipped it in twice on one trip), and we are still not tired of it even tho' we know the whole show by heart.
I also strongly recommend the surial bath as a great couples experience. I have a report on it on my website at www.castawayclub.com
If you have a verandah, order in breakfast at least one morning to enjoy it out there...such an awesome way to kick off the day.
If you can escape the kids for the 70s party, I strongly recommend that too. And for a family activity, try the "draw Mickey" class. We did it for the first time on our last cruise...our Mickeys looked pretty bad, but some of the kids there did a really great job!
Palo is absolutely awesome, but since it is your first Disney cruise, I don't think it would be so bad to miss it, since you've never experienced the other restaurants. But I do have to admit that it's EXCELLENT.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Thank you for all the wonderful replies! I get even more excited "hearing" the excitement in your typing when you talk about the cruise!

I will not miss Disney Dreams and I'm going to see if I can fit Palo's in after the main dinner with our kids as suggested. (Thanks.)

I agree that not doing everything will give me an excuse to go back!

wdwo

The two highlights of our cruise ( in my opinion ) besides Castaway Cay were Disney Dreams which we saw twice the same day ( and taped it too ) and the 70's party, I had not laughed so much in years! But I can go on and on about all the things we loved, the sailaway party was awesome , the kids had a blast in their clubs, I enjoyed going to see the shows while DH went to the movies , this was the first vacation ever where everyone was happy and were having a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter