"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

To Hoosier John and arminnie: As the creator of this thread, I have the authority to make decisions of supreme importance [for example, see the all-time stat updates on page 1]. Due to your honesty, I hereby grant you access to this thread. However, there is a cost: if we ever cross paths at WDW on February 31, you must provide me with one Mickey Bar.

All the best! :thumbsup2
Your wish is my command. I’ll even add on one of those fancy treats they describe on Disney Food Blog like the Peter Plan float.

We made our first drive to Disney, and longest we've ever done. We had to make a detour to Alabama to pick up my nephew (from Pittsburgh), and put about 2550 miles on the car. We didn't drive at all while we were at Disney. Wasn't too bad. The way down we split between 3 days, the way home 2 (an 8 hour day and a 12 hour day).

It was an easy drive. Going down we hit Atlanta at about 630 on a Friday night and had a couple slow downs, but nothing major.

We made our first drive to Disney, and longest we've ever done. We had to make a detour to Alabama to pick up my nephew (from Pittsburgh), and put about 2550 miles on the car. We didn't drive at all while we were at Disney. Wasn't too bad. The way down we split between 3 days, the way home 2 (an 8 hour day and a 12 hour day).
This brings up (what I think is) an interesting question. I'm curious to know how many people that make the long drive to WDW just park their cars the entire time they are on property, and how many drive while there. After our 1300 mile drive from Wisconsin, we still drive everywhere on Disney property. To us, we think that is a big side benefit of driving vs. flying. But I can certainly understand people not wanting to drive after spending 20+ hours in a car, and having to do the same a week later.

This brings up (what I think is) an interesting question. I'm curious to know how many people that make the long drive to WDW just park their cars the entire time they are on property, and how many drive while there. After our 1300 mile drive from Wisconsin, we still drive everywhere on Disney property. To us, we think that is a big side benefit of driving vs. flying. But I can certainly understand people not wanting to drive after spending 20+ hours in a car, and having to do the same a week later.

We drive (actually, my husband does all the driving -- his choice) a little over 1,000 miles to get to Disney World. Once we're there, we park the car and don't touch it until we leave. I think my husband ran out to get a case of water and some soda one trip (out of the last 8), but that's about it. We use Disney transportation 100% of the time we're on property. We like not having to deal with traffic after a long day in the park and we also don't have to worry about how tired we are or if we've had a few adult beverages with dinner. Like you mentioned, after spending 17 hours in the car on the way there and knowing we're going to have to do it again in a few days, we prefer to not use the car while we're there.

We drive the entire time at Disney as well.

We drive while there as well because we have a condo off property. But even if we stayed on property which we have many times we would still drive. I hate waiting for busses.

We tend to drive to on property locations like water parks, other resorts, and sometimes Disney springs, but not often to the parks. We do venture off property for meals and other purposes too, so the car is naturally very handy then.

Just received notice that dvczerfs will begin his record-extending 68th drive to WDW in 26 days.

Wow! What's that...double diamond platinum minus 2! Very impressive!

You both have been very helpful with all your advice. Thank you! My next drive isn't until November. I think that's number 7 for me.

The Northeastern folks did so well on the last photo here's another one you might recognize:

View attachment 377602

Oh yes, our good friend Paul Bunyan in Rocky Mount, NC.
Love these roadside attractions; they're like old friends.:love:
We actually had to fly to Disney last summer, and we really missed these sights. We are hoping to resume our MA to FL drive this summer. One of our favorite return trip stops is the peach stand in GA.

Oh yes, our good friend Paul Bunyan in Rocky Mount, NC.
Love these roadside attractions; they're like old friends.:love:
We actually had to fly to Disney last summer, and we really missed these sights. We are hoping to resume our MA to FL drive this summer. One of our favorite return trip stops is the peach stand in GA.
Where is this peach stand? We would love to stop.

There is only a few times the "Florida cruiser" comes out of the resort parking lot. Our September trips are 16 day trips, we drive over to the Springs around 7am, walk some laps and eat at Earl of Sandwich for breakfast about half way through vacation.
We only take the bus, even that's rare anymore to the parks first thing in the morning. When I say first thing, we are waiting for security to show up. Lol We are for the most part the only people on the bus.
September we are at the Boardwalk so we can walk to two parks. Our February trip we usually at the Polynesian and this trip we are hitting The Grandfloridian. From there is monorail (which is always an adventure) or walk.
Any other time we minivan it. Yup, we are addicted. I just put away more money in the vacation fund. One problem I found is my bar tabs are higher taking minivans because someone else is driving.
I know there are cheaper ways of getting around but for a few weeks out of the year, we go nuts.
Now for the "Florida cruiser", in 2013 our daughter graduated from high school and she wasn't planning on taking too many more trips, which she didn't. She did her year on the college program in the Magic Kingdom and the following six years she flew down to meet up with people she worked with in the Magic Kingdom.
So, I bought a new 2013 Mercedes Benz. I am the only person in the world who wasn't comfortable driving a Benz on long trips. So, in 2016 I bought a new Chrysler Town and Country limited Anniversary edition. You will be shocked to know the minivan cost more than the Benz. Lol I have a double bed in the back with tv for all the comforts of home.lol
I call it the Florida cruiser because it's the only thing we use it for.lol We have made six round trips to Florida with it, including three detours to Bradenton Florida where the inlaws live. She has almost 16,000 miles on her now.lol
We don't stop to much when we are on the road. Just ask the people on here who follow our trips on FB, south bound and down. Lol
This Friday it will be three weeks till we hit the road again. The "kid" is coming with us for the first time in six years. She be a blast.
Stay safe everyone!

As the founder of this thread, I am no longer eligible to increase the total number of long-distance drives on the all-time records page (see page 1), since moving to FL 14 months ago. However, we did make 26 drives to WDW in 2018, and that added up to nearly 3,400 miles!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!