"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Take the LIE to the 59th (Koch) bridge (free)
Go crosstown to the Lincoln tunnel (free)
Instead of the NJ Turnpike, take RT 1 South (free)
Take RT 1 to the real I 95 (I 95 is not contiguous from Florida to Maine - There is a gap in NJ)
Cross into PA from NJ on I 95 (free)
Save $4.00 in Delaware by using the bypass (free)
Save $4.00 by taking the 695 Beltway around Baltimore

Northbound there is that pesky $8.00 toll to cross the Millard E. Tydings Memorial Bridge, but that can be avoided as well
This leaves the only toll for the Port Authority crossing from NJ to NY

Cost savings is about $60.00, which is about a tank and a half of gas for my mini van

Good suggestions! However, using Route 1, with its numerous stoplights, instead of the NJ Turnpike [I-95] may not be worth the monetary savings. But avoid the Turnpike during rush hours.

All the best! :thumbsup2

We had to cancel our trip because of a family crisis I don't think we'll have a chance to go again until next summer. Very bummed that we missed riding the great movie ride one more time.
I stopped in to see how your trip went......... I hope everything is ok. Thoughts and prayers goofygirl.

Good suggestions! However, using Route 1, with its numerous stoplights, instead of the NJ Turnpike [I-95] may not be worth the monetary savings. But avoid the Turnpike during rush hours.

After a massive backup yesterday around the VA/NC border, I found myself driving over the Saint Mary's river around sunset yesterday

Pulled into WDW just before midnight

A safety question. DH will be driving down seperately from the rest of us(long story work related and that car will stay in Florida)
We are in nj. I will stop someplace near GA or further if I can do it. He will leave a day later and planned on just napping in his car someplace vs. a hotel. I said that was crazy.
He says no big deal.
I think it will be hot as hell in there.
Any thoughts? Anyone ever sleep in their car?

A safety question. DH will be driving down seperately from the rest of us(long story work related and that car will stay in Florida)
We are in nj. I will stop someplace near GA or further if I can do it. He will leave a day later and planned on just napping in his car someplace vs. a hotel. I said that was crazy.
He says no big deal.

Some I-95 rest stops are "safer" for napping than others. The VA Welcome Center (mm 132) is one of the best, since it is patrolled by the police. The same goes for the FL welcome center. Other rest stops on I-95 don't feature a regular police presence; however, those other stops usually have other drivers napping as well, reinforcing the "safety in numbers" assumption. Daytime napping in the summer will be uncomfortable.

[We are preparing for our 46th drive, since 2002, from NJ.]

All the best. :thumbsup2

He says no big deal.
For years, we would stop at a hotel, check in and I would sleep two hours max and sit there waiting for others to get back on the road. When dd grew up, I got rid of the minivan and bought a Mercedes. I'm the only person in the world who couldn't get comfortable driving in a Benz. Lol
One trip, I had enough. Dw didn't feel she was able to drive so we pulled off in Virginia at the exact rest stop BC mentioned. I kinda laid down in the back and slept for two hours and we hit the road again.
On that trip, dw and I talked about it, we need a bigger car, back to a minivan.
Got home from that trip in 2015,traded my four year old Mercedes in on a 2016 Chrysler town and country limited addition, anniversary series.
I could never sleep in a car, my back wouldn't take it. Basically I have a double bed in the back of my van. Built a retaining wall so the luggage stays behind the wall. The bed is made of 12 inches of memory foam, sleeping bag and a fitted sheet. Very comfortable and roomy. I have card board cut outs for the side windows, keeps the light out.
We have made three trips with the van and slept in a few rest stops including the Florida welcoming center.
I was always felt the same way as far as how safe, but I feel just as safe there as I do in a hotel. Believe it or not, a lot of the rest stops have a lot of people sleeping in there cars. Truck parking is packed and there are people around.
This past March, we didn't have a problem with the temperature. September trips we leave the van running with the a/c going and the built in DVD player playing a moving.
We arrive at wdw around 6-7am on a Saturday morning. I avoid all traffic in Jax and Orlando.
After check in, some breakfast, you will find us in the corner of the resort parking lot, under a tree if possible, with the a/c on taking a nap, watching movies.

He says no big deal.

I arrive at the Florida welcome station after it closed, missing my free glass of OJ

Anyway, even though it was in the evening, it was not desolate.

Many drivers stopping to use the restrooms and we saw a Florida State trooper on patrol

We are checking into Pop on 8/13 then moving to CBR on the 14th. Our original plan was to get up and leave around 3:00 in the morning on 8/12. Now we are thinking about leaving NY around 2:00 in the afternoon on the 11th to get some driving in. I don't expect we will get too far. Maybe into southern Va. I was thinking this would help with the traffic on Saturday. We are driving I95. Opinions please. Do you think we are just wasting money by adding an extra night on the road? Last time we drove on a Saturday the traffic was terrible.

Hi we are leaving from NJ (right over the bridge from Philly) in a few weeks. Any thoughts on using bypasses or should we take I95 straight through? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

We are checking into Pop on 8/13 then moving to CBR on the 14th. Our original plan was to get up and leave around 3:00 in the morning on 8/12. Now we are thinking about leaving NY around 2:00 in the afternoon on the 11th to get some driving in. I don't expect we will get too far. Maybe into southern Va. I was thinking this would help with the traffic on Saturday. We are driving I95. Opinions please. Do you think we are just wasting money by adding an extra night on the road? Last time we drove on a Saturday the traffic was terrible.

It all depends on where in NY you are departing from. All things remaining equal, and if southern VA is a goal, try Emporia. It's only 11 miles from the NC border, and will give you a better head start on your Sunday drive. Several well known hotel chains at Exit 11 (A & B). Consider Rocky Mount, NC if you can drive a bit further. Note: It's not a waste of money if you can get a chance to relax and get some proper sleep...and put I-95 on the back burner.

Hi we are leaving from NJ (right over the bridge from Philly) in a few weeks. Any thoughts on using bypasses or should we take I95 straight through? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

The founder of this thread, who resides at the Jersey Shore, always takes the I-95 route, despite occasional traffic problems. Our 46th NJ-to-WDW-via-I-95 drive commences next week.

We always take I95. More important what time you leave to avoid rush hour traffic. We leave from Toms River NJ before midnight to avoid traffic in Baltimore, DC and Richmond. The only time we deviate from I95 is to avoid using the DC beltway by getting on MD295 just after going through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. MD295 is a straight shot to I495 just east of the Washington harbor drawbridge. I have hit traffic on MD295 overnight but it still has been a time saver.

Are you leaving on a weekday or weekend day? What time of day do you expect to leave your home? The DC area rush hours are reportedly 6-10 AM and 3-7 PM.

It all depends on where in NY you are departing from. All things remaining equal, and if southern VA is a goal, try Emporia. It's only 11 miles from the NC border, and will give you a better head start on your Sunday drive. Several well known hotel chains at Exit 11 (A & B). Consider Rocky Mount, NC if you can drive a bit further. Note: It's not a waste of money if you can get a chance to relax and get some proper sleep...and put I-95 on the back burner.

Thanks. We are about 45 minutes south of Albany. You're right, the chance to relax and sleep is worth it. :)

We always take I95. More important what time you leave to avoid rush hour traffic. We leave from Toms River NJ before midnight to avoid traffic in Baltimore, DC and Richmond. The only time we deviate from I95 is to avoid using the DC beltway by getting on MD295 just after going through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. MD295 is a straight shot to I495 just east of the Washington harbor drawbridge. I have hit traffic on MD295 overnight but it still has been a time saver.

So you have found that in general MD295 is preferable to 95? Does this vary by day of the week or time of day you are driving?

So you have found that in general MD295 is preferable to 95? Does this vary by day of the week or time of day you are driving?

The beltway loops around Washington. If you look on a map MD295 is almost dead straight. Two things that I don't like about MD295 The lanes are not well marked and could use a repave and reline in sections. Still my preferred route near Washington.

Thoughts on my travel plan please (driving straight through): Leaving Binghamton, NY on a Friday afternoon, 5:30 PM, late October. Prefered route: 81 to Harrisburg, 15 to Frederick, 270-495-95 past DC and all the way to I-4. Couple questions: How will traffic be at DC (I'm guessing we'll arrive at the 270-495 interchange approx 10PM)? Any other traffic issues I should consider? Harrisburg? Jackonsville (should hit approx 9-10 am Sat morning? Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!