Footloose and Fancy Free-Dec 2018, Feb 2019 PTR-12/31-TR Link!

Do I see Illuminations when I plan to be at AK at 7 am the next morning?

• Yes, why sleep at Disney? And the show could be replaced by my next visit!

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No, get some rest so I can hit AK hard the next day.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I actually have a Flight of Passage for 4/5 days I'm going to be there

So that means you have to go on FoP everyday :rotfl:

Just thinking about trying to coordinate the Via Napoli dinner plus Fantasmic made me get prestressed, so I don't want that on this trip.

Me too, it's definitely a better idea to pick one or the other,

(I want to really enjoy the big lobby).

And the big tree!

giphy.gif

Robin Hood! :love:

so I have a pool/garden view, but I may be able to request a room that still has a partial Boardwalk and maybe even view of Spaceship Earth! Still went pretty well, just a minor delay (understandable due to the holiday).

I love all the resorts you picked! Awesome choices for the holiday season.

He was able to get me a CCV studio with walk-in shower for my dates!

Ooo I'm glad you were able to get it! Those look so pretty!

So, it's official, I can't go back now!

giphy.gif

:hmghost: There's no turning back now...

So, even using the most liberal discounts, including gift cards from Target for 5% off, renting DVC saved me over $1,000!

Awesome! I wish we could rent DVC, but with my work not telling us that far ahead what weeks I'll have off for sure I can't lock into anything like that.

I am always so tempted to try and rent DVC points. But DH is never ready to commit to the next trip that early.

Sounds like you did a lot to leg work but it will be worth it! Congrats on the bookings!

Joining you on this side of the boards now! Wow, all these trips planned would have my head spinning. I don't think I could do it. Part of that could be being a former CM but you know, wow. And I totally agree with you waiting until the holidays to fit in Fantasmic. Studios just ain't worth it with DLR in the picture and I can say that with a whole heckuvalot of conviction now. Don't skip out entirely on the nighttime stuff because the Star Wars fireworks are AMAZING.

Also, the multitude of resorts for Christmas was a good choice because each resort has different decor and trees and holiday offerings so you'll enjoy that even if it means moving around. When you're at WL, DEFINITELY make room for a visit or an ADR for something at the Grand because that place is GORJ during the holidays. I'm so glad to see you're also looking at Via Napoli. I wouldn't just settle for the pizza window because the desserts there are TO DIE FOR.

There's so much going on, it's so exciting! I'm looking forward to following along with all the planning as well as how the trips go. :mickeyjum

I was going to see Hanson that evening at the House of Blues (across the street from Disney, so just parked at the Toy Story Lot since I wouldn't have to pay)! Love those guys! I just love how well they treat their fans and totally recognize if it wasn't for us, they wouldn't be making music. They also dedicated a song to "all the fans who have ever had to justify being a Hanson fan...and we know you all have!"
1IooBRm.jpg

I LOOOOOOVE Hanson!!!! I was loud and proud about it for awhile, then in the closet for awhile, and now happily listening to all their CDs with my son. They come to the HoB in Chicago every year, but it always happens to be when I'm out of town! I love that they say you've had to defend yourself for being a fan of theirs....so true! But, I just love them :) Glad I'm not alone!

Fantasmic Dessert & VIP viewing 6:20pm
I think you already decided to scrap this from your plan, but just wanted to let you know we did it on our trip a few weeks ago (even though it was rainy and FREEZING!!!) and it was definitely worth the cost!! Everything is packed up nicely in a box and they give you a shopping bag, too, so anything you might not finish is easily taken to-go. My husband loved the trail mix, which came in little jars. He carried that in our backpack (and refilled them!) the rest of the week. I'd definitely give it a try if it fits somewhere in your schedule on one of the trips :)

Update 10/23 - Christmas 2018 Trip!

Why do one trip when I could do two at twice the cost?

As we all know I am crazy, and I am obsessed with Disney! After all, I deliberately went to Florida during a hurricane! What you also need to know is I have a long commute every day, with an hour each way in stop and go traffic.
giphy.gif

Why do you need to know this? Well, when I'm driving I tend to daydream. And lately I've been day dreaming a lot about WDW. That is how the whole March trip came about. Last week I got to thinking, I love Disneyland at Christmas, so I would probably go crazy for Disneyworld at Christmas! Hmm, so... time to plan a Christmas trip!

giphy.gif

I liked doing the 5-W's before, so I'll do it again! This trip is very much in the conceptual phase right now, but since I finally settled on it, I have been getting more and more excited!

Who:
Me! So far that is it, though I wouldn't be surprised if Lauren/Joey came along. Though by that time she may be in law school so can't travel. But as I've proven, I don't mind solo trips!

Why:
I want to visit at Christmas! And now it looks like Star Wars Galaxy Edge may open Fall 2019, so that means crowds will be insane for the holiday season 2019. And I have no patience, so need to go sooner than that!

giphy.gif

When:
I obviously want to see all the Christmas decorations, but also don't want to deal with the insane crowds (I do know the entire holiday season will be busier than post-labor day hurricane crowds). I don't have any kids to consider the school schedules. So I'm thinking right after Thanksgiving. Either 1-2 weeks after. I'd probably prefer first week of December, as I won't have to deal with leftover Thanksgiving travel crowds. Has anyone traveled those 2 weeks-is the first week of December noticeably more crowded than last week of November?

So either:
Nov 26-Dec 3, 2018, OR
Dec 3-10, 2018.

What:
I like the idea of coming up with some priorities and basing the rest of the trip around those. So for this trip, it will be:

• Magic Kingdom: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
  • Epcot: Festival of the Holidays, Storytellers, Candlelight Processional
  • Hollywood Studios: Holiday nighttime shows, Toy Story Land
  • Disney Springs: Tree trail, Drone show
  • Resort decorations
  • Harry Potter Christmas (tentative - I'm waiting to see what this year's looks like. I may be going to USO for an evening in March (Mardi Gras), and if I combine that, plus a park-to-park ticket in December, it may make more sense to get an AP; again, it is a consideration)
I'm also going to renew my Premier AP this year; it just makes sense if I have another trip upcoming!
giphy.gif

Where:
A couple options here, but haven't booked yet. I think eventually it will depend on $$$

• Wilderness Lodge - This would be my preference, as the Christmas decorations seem to be awesome and cozy. But lately the room discounts for WL have been very stingy, around 10%. I think it will depend on the final cost and what discounts I'm able to get.
  • Boardwalk Inn - In general I'm not as interested in the Epcot area resorts as I am with the MK resorts. But so many of my priorities will be Epcot/DHS related, so maybe it makes sense to stay close by. And BWI is the cheapest option, as well as having higher discounts.
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge - This would be a repeat of the March trip, and I sort of want to see/stay at more places. But if there is a higher discount, it may be more cost effective!
  • POR/POFQ - Another repeat, and probably would only be for cost reasons. Though I may end up visiting them anyways to see the decorations!
giphy.gif

What are people's thoughts?

As per:
https://wdwprepschool.com/disney-world-crowd-calendar/#December_2018

"November 26-30 - crowds drop off significantly once the weekend after Thanksgiving has passed"

"December 1-20 - moderate crowds appear in the first part of December for Pop Warner events, plus crowds in early December have increased over the last few years as people travel to see Disney World for the holidays"

Therefore, Nov 26-Dec 3, 2018 would probably be better crowd wise.

I am always so tempted to try and rent DVC points. But DH is never ready to commit to the next trip that early.

Sounds like you did a lot to leg work but it will be worth it! Congrats on the bookings!
Yeah, it definitely requires advance planning! There probably would be availability at some places closer to the date (I think Animal Kingdom Villas usually has some), but you'd have to check!

Congrats on getting all the FPs you wanted and the DVC rental success!!
Thanks!

Joining you on this side of the boards now! Wow, all these trips planned would have my head spinning. I don't think I could do it. Part of that could be being a former CM but you know, wow. And I totally agree with you waiting until the holidays to fit in Fantasmic. Studios just ain't worth it with DLR in the picture and I can say that with a whole heckuvalot of conviction now. Don't skip out entirely on the nighttime stuff because the Star Wars fireworks are AMAZING.

Also, the multitude of resorts for Christmas was a good choice because each resort has different decor and trees and holiday offerings so you'll enjoy that even if it means moving around. When you're at WL, DEFINITELY make room for a visit or an ADR for something at the Grand because that place is GORJ during the holidays. I'm so glad to see you're also looking at Via Napoli. I wouldn't just settle for the pizza window because the desserts there are TO DIE FOR.

There's so much going on, it's so exciting! I'm looking forward to following along with all the planning as well as how the trips go.
Yeah, it's a lot to consider! At least my December trip is over 6 months after my March trip, so I can hold off that planning (ADRs, FPs, etc) for now. I also may make changes based on what happens in March!

I will probably end up with 2 evenings at DHS in December - definitely want to see JBJJ and the ToT projection show as well as Fantasmic. I don't know if the Star Wars fireworks will be playing at the same time; I think at the beginning of December this past year they just did JBJJ for the first couple weeks and mid-month added in a SWAGS show afterwards.

I totally plan on visiting every Deluxe resort, and maybe some of the Moderates, to see all the decorations. Don't know if those will involve ADRs or just stop in the lobby for a bit. I will probably get a bunch of cookies from the Gingerbread house in the Grand though!

I LOOOOOOVE Hanson!!!! I was loud and proud about it for awhile, then in the closet for awhile, and now happily listening to all their CDs with my son. They come to the HoB in Chicago every year, but it always happens to be when I'm out of town! I love that they say you've had to defend yourself for being a fan of theirs....so true! But, I just love them :) Glad I'm not alone!

Yeah, those guys are so awesome! I actually got to see them again in December when they did their Christmas concert in LA! It was so much fun and they are so talented! I wish I could see them at Epcot once, but they are always over Halloween and that's a no go for me!

I think you already decided to scrap this from your plan, but just wanted to let you know we did it on our trip a few weeks ago (even though it was rainy and FREEZING!!!) and it was definitely worth the cost!! Everything is packed up nicely in a box and they give you a shopping bag, too, so anything you might not finish is easily taken to-go. My husband loved the trail mix, which came in little jars. He carried that in our backpack (and refilled them!) the rest of the week. I'd definitely give it a try if it fits somewhere in your schedule on one of the trips :)

Yeah, I'll probably add it for December! Just too hard with scheduling for March!

"November 26-30 - crowds drop off significantly once the weekend after Thanksgiving has passed"

"December 1-20 - moderate crowds appear in the first part of December for Pop Warner events, plus crowds in early December have increased over the last few years as people travel to see Disney World for the holidays"

Therefore, Nov 26-Dec 3, 2018 would probably be better crowd wise.

Yeah, I think the first week would have lower crowds, but it didn't work out as well schedule wise. So I will probably get to take advantage of it a bit (going Thursday - following Sunday), but otherwise, I will have expectations in check.

Hi Lesley, I just found this, wow sounds great so far, love your savings spread sheet with DVC rental, I have rented points 4 times now and have always been happy with it. I have used the Dis a few times and found great owners to rent from. We have always found a substantial savings with renting.

Hi Lesley! Happy to be following along so I can learn lots from your planning. We are set to go last week of November but it overlaps with your week! That will really help me decide if you don’t mind me being your student of planning :yay:

Hi Lesley, I just found this, wow sounds great so far, love your savings spread sheet with DVC rental, I have rented points 4 times now and have always been happy with it. I have used the Dis a few times and found great owners to rent from. We have always found a substantial savings with renting.
Yeah, it was crazy the amount of savings! The actual rooms I think will work out nicely too, since I only need one bed, so now I will have a couch too!

Hi Lesley! Happy to be following along so I can learn lots from your planning. We are set to go last week of November but it overlaps with your week! That will really help me decide if you don’t mind me being your student of planning
Welcome! I'm always down with any Dismeets, so let me know if any of our plans overlap and you want to meet up!

Update 01/22 - Misc Updates & Disney Purchases!

So, first some Misc Updates on my trips. I also have another trip that I'm 90% sure is happening, but I don't want to jinx it by writing about it yet, so expect to hear news by the end of the month!

March Trip - 5.5 weeks!

-Made one minor adjustment with Fastpasses for the Magic Kingdom. Switched my third one from Haunted Mansion to 7DMT. Was reading the reports from the first Disney After Hours and some people had pretty long lines for 7DMT, so while I will ride it during the event, I thought I'd get in another ride via FP that afternoon!

-Also booked a BOMA breakfast ADR on my final day. I'm not sure if I'll keep it, but I figure since I'll be at AKL, I may want to take advantage of it and an early time finally opened up. So, I'll see how I feel when I'm there.

-One itinerary change for my Animal Kingdom day. I was planning on doing the Wild Africa Trek in December, but then this happened:
hggVBO5.jpg

Baby Hippo! OMG!
giphy.gif
(hippos aren't fluffy, but you get the point)

Anyways, I will definitely be checking him/her out from the Safari and Gorilla Falls Trail, but I totally am hoping to get a closer view on the Trek! I'm totally hoping to see all of the baby animals - Hippo, Tiger cubs, even Warthogs!

December Trip - 44 weeks

-Nothing to see here! Thankfully no booking windows will open until after the March trip, so I will be able to adjust based on that trip.

February 2019 cruise - 55 weeks

-I decided I'm totally doing this one after all. I can't wait to see all that DCL has to offer. I will also pair it with a visit to Epcot's Festival of the Arts, which just has looked spectacular this year! I did have a couple minor freakouts on the date. First, I worried I would arrive and have my park days after the cruise coincide with the Princess Half-Marathon, and I totally didn't want to deal with the crowds. I even went in and was looking at how much it would cost to switch to the cruise before and was like, oh it's $200, hmm, is that worth it. Then I stopped and looked at my reservation - I had already booked that cruise, so I'll be at the parks the weekend BEFORE the half-marathon! Phew! Then I was laying in bed one evening and started to freak out - oh no, did I book for Superbowl weekend? I guess I can work around it and I know they have it on board, but what if something crazy happens and the Rams get into the superbowl next year? Of course I pulled up my calendar - again, I booked the weekend AFTER the superbowl. So, again, Phew!

giphy.gif

Disney Purchases:

I've also made a bunch of recent Disney purchases, which I thought I'd share with you all!

First, clothing for March. Unfortunately I'm a victim of targeted advertising and I can't go on Facebook or Twitter without them showing me new Disney or Star Wars merch. I usually screenshot it and save it until I'm ready, and TeePublic was having a sale, so I got a couple of my favorites.

2 random shirts. I would love to wear the Stitch one while meeting Stitch, but that may get saved for DLR, because I already have a shirt for my Magic Kingdom day.
sMW8Iyr.jpg
2jIy7bv.jpg

And for Flower & Garden:
uYgDZmD.jpg

Some clothing for December - I took advantage of the 75% off Once Upon a Sale from ShopDisney, as well as the 25% off of that on some items.

Comfy sweater. Fabric is sort of a cross between sweatshirt and knit sweater, so it works.
uor4Iwm.jpg

and slippers for relaxing at the resorts (I've also been wearing around the house because my feet get cold). Love these and they ended up being $8!
zUPBt7f.jpg

Also on clearance, some lounge pants, which I love the design! Though looking now, they remind me of Alvin and the Chipmunks! I was worried they wouldn't fit because women's sizes can get cut weird, but they are so comfy! I now wish I had ordered a pair of cute PJs too, but I was worried about sizing and they weren't on sale.
uSw2VGE.jpg
ByhsysF.jpg

And from Amazon, Disney sweatpants, which I probably will wear on the plane flights (finally gave up on looking good and am going for comfort). They are a bit big, but my mom and sister said I should just wash them on high temp to try and shrink a bit and then my mom can do a couple stitches to remove the bulk (they are men's pants).
qxwuiLR.jpg

Finally, misc park gear:

A Christmas present from Lauren-Rose Gold Ears.
J9DaKVw.jpg

A new park bag I found at Downtown Disney-Kingdom of Cute! So adorable!
FiTa8yM.jpg

And I took @Raeven's advice and got a phone mount plus bluetooth shutter button to take some better selfies during Flower & Garden! I will also be getting a phone upgrade soon (like this week), so maybe I can take some good low-light photos!
qBHdxuk.jpg

So, that's all for now!

I love the Porg shirt, huge fan of Big Bang! Looks like some wonderful trips coming up. The cruise will be fun, I would love to do a Disney Cruise, maybe one of these days!

And I took @Raeven's advice and got a phone mount plus bluetooth shutter button to take some better selfies during Flower & Garden! I will also be getting a phone upgrade soon (like this week), so maybe I can take some good low-light photos!

I think you'll really like the phone mount, I really like mine!

Your plan updates sound good! Glad after the minor freakouts that your cruise dates are fine!

Love all your purchases! That Porg shirt is amazing (Big Bang!) and I love the chipmunk pants!

May I ask what kind/where you got your phone mount? I had been trying to find one and never found one I liked!

Your plan updates sound good! Glad after the minor freakouts that your cruise dates are fine!

Love all your purchases! That Porg shirt is amazing (Big Bang!) and I love the chipmunk pants!

May I ask what kind/where you got your phone mount? I had been trying to find one and never found one I liked!
The mount I got was from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S4NB2IY/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it so far, but maybe @Raeven has other suggestions since she’s used hers for longer!

Love your purchases--especially the comfy ones!! Those slippers and chipmunk pants are my favs! The castle "home" pants are awesome--I have the shirt that matches!!

Wow, so many plan updates. I don't even know how you keep track, but it looks like you're covering a lot of ground for the next year. That's so exciting!

AAAHHHH SO JEALOUS YOU GOT ROSE GOLD EARS. I'm not crazy insane looking for them, but I want them and they exist NOWHERE BUT YOU GOT THEM. I LOVE that Stitch shirt. Disney x Hamilton crossovers are my obsession and that is PERF. And I need those Chip n Dale sweats, they are so cute. You def have flawless Disney fashion taste. :thumbsup2

Love your purchases--especially the comfy ones!! Those slippers and chipmunk pants are my favs! The castle "home" pants are awesome--I have the shirt that matches!!
Yeah, they are all so nice and comfy! Loving showing my Disney Fan Pride!
If the starts align and there are rose gold ears when I am in Disney, I may have to buy a pair!
Fingers crossed! I actually was there another day before Christmas when there was a huge shelf full of rose gold ears (must have gotten in a shipment that day). But my sister had already enforced a moritorium on spending for myself (and I actually already knew she had gotten them for me because I saw them in her room!) so I didn't get any.
Wow, so many plan updates. I don't even know how you keep track, but it looks like you're covering a lot of ground for the next year. That's so exciting!
Spreadsheets! Lots and lots of spreadsheets! :P
AAAHHHH SO JEALOUS YOU GOT ROSE GOLD EARS. I'm not crazy insane looking for them, but I want them and they exist NOWHERE BUT YOU GOT THEM. I LOVE that Stitch shirt. Disney x Hamilton crossovers are my obsession and that is PERF. And I need those Chip n Dale sweats, they are so cute. You def have flawless Disney fashion taste. :thumbsup2
My sister would disagree - she doesn't trust any of my fashion sense anymore! :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!