foot injury

MudQueen22

DIS Veteran
We are scheduled for our first park day next Thursday. Someone in our party has an injured foot, and is concerned about wearing the boot with the July heat, as well as the walking distance.
She now has a knee scooter, and may wear the short boot just for protection from other park-goers. She can't get her foot in a close-toed shoe right now.
Is there anything else she can do to make this a bit easier? Are there any services Disney would provide, other than wheelchairs and ECVs? She doesn't want either of those, and she didn't want the knee scooter either but we pressed the issue. lol

Please let her know that there is so much walking at Disney and there are fair less places to sit at Disney unless you bring your own

I would suggest bringing along ice packs....the kind you snap to activate. I went to Disney 6 months after healing from a surgical broken ankle and could not possibly have done it without Dynarex cold packs from Amazon. I had several in my tote/backpack at all times. When I got back to the room, I used again.

There is no way on earth I could have walked the amount I did with a knee scooter. Even during the 6 months of recuperation, I found the knee scooter made my entire leg hurt. I also think walking far in the boot might make her foot throb....hence, the ice packs. I would be far less worried about being too warm.

Now for the longer answer.

please tell your friend that an ECV or wheelchair are tools to help her enjoy the parks, just like glasses are tools to see, hearing aids are tools to hear a calculator is a tool to help you do math.. you get my point would you ( or her) refuse to use glasses because you could not see, I hope not a wheelchair ECV or her knee scooter is just that a tool to help her enjoy the park ( I would think twice about using a knee scooter all day at Disney just think of kneeling all day.

I would really encourage her to have something else ( ECV or wheelchair) my friend broke her foot and she ended up overdoing it and she was in a boot for over 7 months she this is something she needs to think about.

if she can put weight on her foot and walk some I would bring a cane to help her balance my friend found the ground very uneven in some place and the cane did help a lot even going 10 steps from her ECV to the ride. It also let her get up and walk some but she still had a little support

if she needs somewhere to rest there is a first aid in all the park where she can go get some ice put her foot up for a bit, they also have some OTC meds, and if she is on anything for pain make sure you bring it.

Someone in our party has an injured foot, and is concerned about wearing the boot with the July heat, as well as the walking distance.
She now has a knee scooter, and may wear the short boot just for protection from other park-goers.

I suggest she speak with her healthcare provider before deciding to skip the boot or use a different (short) boot. It could have some lasting repercussions to the healing of her foot. The last thing she’d want is to aggravate the injury and take even longer to heal.

I recommend carrying extra socks — wicking socks — to change a couple/few times each day. And I can’t imagine trying to get through the parks using a knee scooter. I’d definitely go with the ECV or wheelchair.

Enjoy your vacation!

Also, tell your friend that First Aid (in each of the Parks) will be her lifeline - she can go there to prop up for a bit if she needs to, or just grab some generic Tylenol.

She will probably need it, if she insists on using a knee walker... the *average* Guest at WDW walks between 3 & 10 miles PER DAY. She probably isn't going to last the whole of the first day - there are far more hills, ramps, and inclines than you realize until you are on wheels at Disney World - let alone go back for another day (or two, or three...) Add in the patterned concrete surfaces that can be quite bumpy, and that's before you account for the summer crowds, and the July heat, and it is a recipe for misery.

Keep the phone number for a rental vendor handy - there are several companies that can (in a pinch) even deliver directly to the Parks if they have any availability. I think the top 3 favorites here currently are Gold, Buena Vista and Walker, in no particular order.

A lot depends on the the type of foot injury you friend has. But, I was in a walking boot for 10 weeks earlier this year. They are meant to get you from Point A to B with stability; not to go to Disneyworld and walk 10 miles a day. Again, though, this depends on the the injury. I mean, a broken pinky toe could cause you not to be able to wear a shoe but is perfectly fine to walk on all day, so not sure what her issue is.

That said, if it's a real significant tendonitis or something like that, trying to brave it out with that type of walking, even in a boot, is not a good thing. A knee cart for that distance is not going to be easy going either.

Her best bet is to get an ECV. My dad didn't want to do it (he has ankle issues) but was SO glad he did. So many people have them that she won't feel weird.

The only services Disney will suggest is to rent either a wheelchair or ECV, they do not give out disability passes for mobility issues alone. Definitely go the wheelchair/ecv route, otherwise she will be miserable by the first day.

The only services Disney will suggest is to rent either a wheelchair or ECV, they do not give out disability passes for mobility issues alone. Definitely go the wheelchair/ecv route, otherwise she will be miserable by the first day.

Couldn't agree more - all Disney will suggest, rightfully, is wheelchair or ECV.

Here now. We've done 2 days in the park with a resort day prior. She tried the knee-scooter, but she said that was more difficult than walking.
She wore supportive flip-flops (I know, it sounds like an oxymoron) during the resort day with only minor soreness. Someone advised her to wear the flip flops to the park, but she didn't want to risk someone stepping on her toe, so she adjusted her athletic shoes and wore those. She packed the short boot in her park bag. She decided she would rent a scooter if she couldn't handle it.
She's sore, but she's managing. She is taking breaks during the day, propping it up where she can, and not going back and forth through the parks like she would normally do.

Thanks for replies on this!!

Here now. We've done 2 days in the park with a resort day prior. She tried the knee-scooter, but she said that was more difficult than walking.
She wore supportive flip-flops (I know, it sounds like an oxymoron) during the resort day with only minor soreness. Someone advised her to wear the flip flops to the park, but she didn't want to risk someone stepping on her toe, so she adjusted her athletic shoes and wore those. She packed the short boot in her park bag. She decided she would rent a scooter if she couldn't handle it.
She's sore, but she's managing. She is taking breaks during the day, propping it up where she can, and not going back and forth through the parks like she would normally do.

Thanks for replies on this!!
It sounds like things are working out for her. Also if she need to there is a first aid in every park where she can put her foot up and it sound like she has an extra boot she can keep at first aid if she finds she dose not need to change it out that much

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter