Food for Kids

I agree, you should not skip the China trip *just* because there may be food difficulties. It's an amazing trip, and besides, ABD is not necessarily known for fine dining. :) It's about the adventure!

HOWEVER, the China trip is one of the exceptions. There is some really fabulous food on the China ABD. The soup dumplings at Din Tai Fung in Shanghai are absolutely magnificent!! Most of the meals are done family style, and there were always wonderful options to try. (Unfortunately, the Hot Pot lunch, which was excellent, is no longer a part of the itinerary). There are a couple of meals that are a miss, but most everything is quite delicious!

Sayhello

The hot pot lunch is on our 2020 itinerary as of now. I hope it stays!

I should add that this meal was probably the most fun for the kids - they had their own room and a some of them
decided to hold a “hot pepper challenge”. It was very amusing. There were plenty of plain noodles.

Different strokes, but I'm with @sayhello that China was definitely one of the strongest ABDs we've done for food. Japan was right up there, but I think China takes the edge. My family of four basically spent the tour gorging ourselves--as Sayhello can attest as she was on our same tour. I don't think the guides had ever seen people eat so many dumplings :) We still dream of the noodles at the Country Kitchen restaurant in the Rosewood Hotel (I think that was the name of it).

Different strokes, but I'm with @sayhello that China was definitely one of the strongest ABDs we've done for food. Japan was right up there, but I think China takes the edge. My family of four basically spent the tour gorging ourselves--as Sayhello can attest as she was on our same tour. I don't think the guides had ever seen people eat so many dumplings :) We still dream of the noodles at the Country Kitchen restaurant in the Rosewood Hotel (I think that was the name of it).
We had to basically beg for a 2nd basket of pork dumplings because that's one of the few things our family and our friends liked! Their first answer was no but I offered to pay for them and then they brought more. 🤷🏼‍♀️

When I say they are picky, they pretty much eat 4 or 5 things -- of which rice and plain noodles are on their approved list.

What does China have? Plenty of rice and plain noodles.

Joe (the local guide) proactively made sure at every meal they had a bowl of rice/noodles. He was so sweet and they were happy as clams.
I wish our experience had been the same! We all had asked for plain rice or noodles and were told no at every meal. I was really surprised

The hot pot lunch is on our 2020 itinerary as of now. I hope it stays!
We did a hot pot dinner in Chengdu before the Opera on our China ABD this past August.
Wonder why they took out Hot Pot?
Well, either I am completely mistaken, or it was just taken out of the 2018 itinerary, because I really thought it was not on the 2018 itineray. I guess either is possible! :confused3

I'm *very* glad to hear it's still a part of the itinerary. It was a lot of fun, and a really tasty meal!

It *was* the Country Kitchen at the Rosewood Beijing Hotel. It's kind of sad the ABD doesn't stay at the Rosewood anymore, because people won't be as likely to make it to the Country Kitchen. I'm sure the Peninsula Beijing is absolutely lovely, but it doesn't have the Country Kitchen! :)

Sayhello

Well, either I am completely mistaken, or it was just taken out of the 2018 itinerary, because I really thought it was not on the 2018 itineray. I guess either is possible! :confused3

I'm *very* glad to hear it's still a part of the itinerary. It was a lot of fun, and a really tasty meal!

It *was* the Country Kitchen at the Rosewood Beijing Hotel. It's kind of sad the ABD doesn't stay at the Rosewood anymore, because people won't be as likely to make it to the Country Kitchen. I'm sure the Peninsula Beijing is absolutely lovely, but it doesn't have the Country Kitchen! :)

Sayhello

But the Peninsula does have Huang Ting - after eating Peking Duck at several spots in Beijing, this is the best.

Glad to hear hotpot is still one of the meals. That was a fun meal and my ds still brags about his secret sauce.

We had to basically beg for a 2nd basket of pork dumplings because that's one of the few things our family and our friends liked! Their first answer was no but I offered to pay for them and then they brought more. 🤷🏼‍♀️
That isn't good :( They finally stopped bringing them out for us, but that was after we'd eaten a ton. I don't recall there ever being a problem getting more of something on this trip so I wonder if something changed. Maybe we broke it, LOL.

Sayhello
I loved the Rosewood. As you know I think it was the favorite hotel of the people in our group, which is saying a lot since there were so many great hotels. Country Kitchen was my favorite restaurant--we ate there twice, LOL. The handmade noodles, fried rice and veg dishes were so good. The dry cooked green beans ... sigh, so good.

I'm *very* glad to hear it's still a part of the itinerary. It was a lot of fun, andSayhello
It was part of my October 2018 itinerary, before the opera. Our itinerary changed twice in the months leading up to our departure and included a train ride from Chengdu to Xi’an in place of the flight. But a hot pot meal was included on all three versions of the itinerary. I loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!