Food Budget for 2 adults in studio

justme0729

DIS Veteran
I am wondering if anyone could help me with estimating the cost of food for 2 adults staying in a studio. I’m picturing getting groceries and eating an easy breakfast in the room, lunch out, and maybe grilling for dinner. Plus some treats around the island or resort (shaved ice, dole whip etc). What is a grocery bill like for bread, bagels, peanut butter, fruit, bottled water, some snacks, and meats, potatoes, etc for dinner? I’m not sure if I should be thinking like $500 or maybe even $1000-1500? Our normal grocery bill at home weekly is about $100-$150. Anyone have experience or a decent ballpark number?

I have no real insight but might help to mention how many days you are going for? A week?

I think it totally depends on the type of dining out you plan to do and how long you are going to be there.

If you are looking at higher end places to eat then you need to be looking at a minimum per day of $50-75 for lunch.

For me, I usually pick up bagels, cheddar slices, ham, muffins, coffee, milk and fruit and that is what I consider an easy breakfast. That would last my family of 4 maybe two days and probably costs me in all honesty about $25-30 dollars depending on what fruit I choose. So if you worked that out over a week it would be about $85 and that is kind of one the cheap side.

Meat can also be very expensive in Hawaii and grilling is a great option on site at Aulani but they do have restricted hours for grill use. I think you cannot use them until 4ish and then I am not sure what time they are in use until, someone else here might know. I usually bring my own BBQ utensils from home, that way I dont have to wait to borrow ones from Aulani. To give you an idea of meat prices, I just pulled up a Hawaii Safeway flyer and I see this week they have Rib Eye steak on sale at $7.99/lb, Chicken legs, drumsticks and thighs for $1.49/lb as their front page specials (see the link below)

https://coupons.safeway.com/weeklyad/?store=2747&s=catalog/18_28_NOC_WC_S/2

Based on the idea that you are eating lunch and maybe some dinners outside of the villa, this loose math above and my preferences and keeping in mind you are two people, not four like us I would probably say you realistically should be planning about $600-800 for a full week. But that is only if you are looking at higher end eating or eating at the Aulani resort restaurants.

There are lots of places in the area and all over the island where you can get take out like pizza or subs, plate lunches, hot counter meals, stuff for picnics etc that are not going to cost even close to the above so it really depends on your lifestyle and how you eat.

If you have some "must do" types of places to eat then check out the menus on line and get an idea of how much it will cost from there.

One thing I always do is bring things like spices, instant oatmeal, granola bars, baggies, foil and plastic wrap etc from home so it doesnt end up pumping up my in room food bill.

I agree there could be huge variances. We are two adults and stayed in a studio. We also spend $100-$150 at home grocery shopping (upstate NY), and we stopped at Target for groceries on our way to Aulani. We bought easy breakfast items like cereal, milk, paper bowls/plates, plasticwear, muffins, pop tarts, etc. A few bags of chips, bread, lunch meat. A few toiletries we were running low on like sunscreen. And some drinks like Powerade, bottled water, and beer. If I recall, we spent roughly $100 during that shopping trip.

We stayed 6 nights at Aulani and ate 4 of 7 breakfasts in the room. We had 3 full resort days and I believe we had 2 lunches from the things we bought. The third lunch was leftover pizza from Pizza Corner across the street. We didn't have any dinners in the room and opted not to grill, but we did like the snacks to hold us over and bring with us to the beach.

If going for a short trip (like only a week or so), I'd keep it simple. We always go for 2-4 weeks (at the Marriott). I try to keep it simple, and we do mostly Target shopping.

Yeah, breakfast in is easy. I grill dinners often (but remember Aulani is unique; they only offer their grills for a short time for dinner, which I find insane as ours are available 24 hours and we have 3 different sets of them).

If you're only there a week, I'd eat a big lunch out while touring, then a simple dinner in. We find that works best, as sometimes we're just plain tired. Or I'm the one grilling in my swim coverup while they are showering!

You can get some nice ready to cook food at Costco, but for only a week I'd stick to Target.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!