Food and Wine FEAST 2017 updated 9/22: more booths

I have so been looking forward to your thoughts on Jiko!

I love them to. Great music and so fun to watch, especially with a beverage!

I was so tempted to order this in August. In fact, I tried to get into Cape Town Lounge the night of the thunderstorm but they were not letting anyone in without an ADR for Jiko.
Glad to have an Animal Kingdom comrade in arms! We had such a great time that evening. I have never heard them not let anyone into the bar area without an ADR! I guess I will have to be more careful about flying by the seat of my pants. We usually always have a "plan b" of just sidling up to a bar somewhere...

Are you kidding???? This is the smallest salad I have ever seen! The evening I ate at Jiko, I saw chefs at the Cooking Place making salads that were four times this size. And a lot aesthetically pleasing too!
I will excuse the tiny salad since the rest of the meal was so amazing - it just let me eat more!

I love the hummus fries, but 2?!?! There is no way i'm paying $5 for that. I believe they server them at the restaurant
Yes I think they have them at Spice Road Table! I have never eaten there but I need to add it to my mental "to do" list. I just saw a great review there for drinks and apps - was thta our friend @suse66? The wine flight sure looked great.

Following along. Your Jiko meal looks delish. I wish I had a better experience there. The one time we went we were just not impressed. Must have been an off night. Looking forward to more food and wine. -Amanda
Welcome Amanda! :flower3: Thank you for joining and saying hi. I think every restaurant can have an off night, but if my memory serves correctly Jiko has replaced their head chef in the last few years. The first time we ate there (in 2014) it was definitely good just not blow your socks off good. The last three times have been mind blowingly awesome.

Thanks for the Kilamanjaro shout out or I would have missed even more of this :-)

Looks like an amazing, food filled trip this time around!!! And even better you can be my own personal F&W preview team. Seeing lots I want to try already. How does the sampler card work? Can you use it on items that cost more than $8, like the champagne?
:rolleyes1 It's okay I wasn't sad or anything....

The sampler card is PERFECT for stuff that's more than $8. In fact, don't get it unless you're planning on having 8 things that are more than $8! We used it a lot on that champagne and of course on the passion slushes. Next time I am eyeballing those larger drinks at the Joffrey's carts and the new cocktail at the China booth. I will have more reviews for you in just a couple of weeks!

I am heading to Jiko tonight--I can't WAIT!!! Soooo yummy!
I hope you had a great trip. Are you writing a report somewhere that I am oblivious to? How was dinner?

We haven't been to Jiko in a while - I think I need to add that in on one of my upcoming trips. Your meal looks lovely!

Sorry your potato nachos weren't that good - we had better luck on our visit to that booth! Isn't consistency great? The coriander pesto was my favorite too!

This weekend was oddly uncrowded but I loved that! Made it easier to enjoy everything!

Didn't realize you were so close to me at the Dolphin! That hotel is great for F&W without paying for the price of Boardwalk/Beach/Yacht Club!

Hey those corned beef nachos things are worth a little effort in rearranging your toppings. I am looking forward to getting them again! We liked the Dolphin a lot except the small beds. Otherwise it was perfect and MUCH less than YC/BC/BW (which I would obviously choose if I had no budget concerns!) It looks like you and your mom really made the most of that location and it's such a great home base during F&W! We are staying at the VGF next month. My first time in a Studio there and looking forward to it!

Monday, September 4:

Once again, we took our time getting ready this morning, having to pack up our belongings and scarf down the leftover bobotie mac n cheese. After stowing our luggage for later travel, we grabbed a ride on the friendship boats to International Gateway.

RbOfEaal.png

Our goal this morning was to hit a few of the booths that had been packed with lines of people on our previous visits. We started strategically at the Chocolate Studio as it was open slightly ahead of 11:00 and there weren't any other folks queued up for breakfast dessert.

XxE4lSQl.png

The Nitro Chocolate Truffle was a hit for us again this year. "Liquid Nitro Chocolate Almond Truffle with Warm Whiskey Caramel, $4.75". Ours was extra frozen as the chef was having a hard time fishing it out of the nitro, and I have to say I think this is the key to really enjoying this item during the opening days of the festival. I have read a few negative reviews that seem to be primarily critiques of the texture and lack of frozen-ness, so we were lucky to receive an extra cold one. This is sweet but creamy and the perfect size to share since it is rich.

R and I split up at this point to divide and conquer and I made the mistake of joining what looked like a reasonable line at Earth Eats to cash in some tabs for wine. The common problem plaguing all of the booths during our visit was that the registers never seemed to all be working. I don't know how many times I saw CMs on the radio/phone with a manager trying to get the cash registers to work. This booth was no different and only one of its four registers was manned. To add insult to injury this line is in the sun so I was a little grumpy by the time I got my 2 oz thimbles of wine.

RYlRoy4l.png

We tried both Kurt Russell wines: Gogi Chardonnay and Gogi Pinot Noir. The Chardonnay was surprisingly good to me, though maybe I just enjoyed that it was chilled. The Pinot Noir was lighter bodied than I was expecting, though I know some Pinots can be. I was expecting much more from the Pinot Noir and did not find this to my liking. Perhaps I got a bad bottle because I have read nice accolades about this one online - I found it dry with an unpleasant aftertaste - not quite vinegary but somewhat dusty and overly tannic. Considering that the Chardonnay was $10 for 2 oz and the Pinot was $15 for 2 oz, I certainly expected more from these wines and I would not even use a tab to taste these again. Your mileage can certainly vary, so if you are interested, by all means, try them for yourself!

dKsIRekl.png

While I'd been sunbathing in the Earth Eats line, R hit the Boursin Cheese Studio booth to grab the cheese trio - $5.50 for a Profiterole topped with Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese and Orange Apricot Jam, Smoked Salmon Pinwheel with Boursin Shallot and Chive Cheese and Everything Seasoning, and Strawberry Macaron with Boursin Pepper Cheese.

I took these photos outside but then convinced R to travel with our loot over to Innoventions for some needed air conditioning. The Cheese trio was served with much more jam on the two sweet items than we were served at the tasting preview this summer, to a negative effect. The only noticable flavors on the sweet items were "SWEET!!!!" and the Boursin was entirely masked by the jam. R enjoyed the salmon pinwheel - I don't eat salmon so I didn't try it. We'd pass this one on our next trip but I advise you to take a look at the dishes as they're coming out to see how much jam is on these. If the jam is at a minimum or the line is short enough that you can ask for less jam, I'd recommend this dish as I think it's a good value and has great potential. To contrast, the plate I was served at the tasting:

7hVfP6ol.png

The weekend was coming to a close and I was starting to feel the depression of leaving set in. R was hot and sweaty, which usually translates to unhappiness for him, but I managed to convince him to grab a couple photopass pics with me to remember the trip by. Funny how my food is usually the star of the photos.

Q5abT4ol.png

We decided to make for more air conditioning and head back over to Craft Beers to see if there were handwiches available.

xK3It5Ml.png

Yay! There were. "Zesty Cheeseburger and Macaroni Handwich" - $5.50. R liked this a lot, I think. I loved the cheeseburger macaroni inside but thought the cone itself was pretty bland. I love the novelty and would like to see Disney bring these back year round. Wouldn't they go great at a kiosk in the America pavilion?

Despite telling myself I would NOT pay $4.00 for one stinkin' egg, I ordered this:

tme80qcl.png

The Chilled Scotch Egg, Wrapped in Sausage, with Mustard Sauce ($4). This was not the worst value at the festival (I'm looking at you, hummus fries). The flavors were actually good and the mustard sauce provided a nice complement. I'd get this again in a pinch.

JqnNsPel.png

When in Rome... we clearly had more beers. We ordered the chocolate milk stout and the citra pale ale that we'd tried previously and enjoyed these with our snacks. We took a look at the Festival merchandise over on the other side of the Odyssey building and I eyeballed a cute Figment canvas shopping bag, which for some reason they had on display in said shop but actually did not sell there. I did not purchase it, for obvious reasons.

My one cheat that I had been dying to have while trying to eat healthy at home was nachos. Specifically theme park/ball park nachos made with plastic cheese and beef of really questionable quality and all the sloppy toppings you can muster. So in order not to cry myself back to Atlanta, I went in pursuit of said magic nachos while R went to go grab us one last dessert treat.

Xr8ZB7Fl.png

AREN'T THEY MAJESTIC?! They came from the Mexico quick service, of course - Cantina San Angel. They were $11.25 and all that I had dreamt of. (note: not recommeded unless you are having this specific craving :laughing: )

Of course we had to have a cold beverage to wash down the nachos and drown our sorrows related to our imminent departure:

Z0rL17pl.png

They don't really look all that different but one of these is an Avion Lime Margarita ($13.75) and the other is a Coconut something or other margarita ($14.75). Both were too sweet and neither is something I'm jonesing to go back for, but we drank them anyhow.

G6dEmBol.png

For dessert we shared a passionfruit cheesecake with toasted macadamia nuts ($4) which was actually really good and I am looking forward to trying again.

I got in one final attraction (okay, only the second one of the trip) by insisting that we use our Spaceship Earth fastpass before we made the saddest boat ride

nMYiWMFl.png

We debated stopping in to the Boardwalk Bakery to grab sweets for the road, but ultimately decided against it. We got on the road by about 2:20 headed back to Atlanta and we were fast asleep by 10:00 pm.

Next trip update: R and I are headed to WDW in October for a little bit longer of a trip (our usual Fall Break vacation) where we will be staying 5 nights at my home resort in a DVC studio at the Grand Floridian Villas. So far our dining plans include Boma breakfast, Via Napoli dinner, and California Grill brunch. Other than that we will be doing a lot of dining at Food and Wine Festival booths and probably some ADRs on the fly. 12 days and three hours! But who's counting :rolleyes1

Boursin Cheese Studio booth to grab the cheese trio

I'm so sad I missed this booth, the tart looked really good; but a little big. I didn't want to spoil my appetite at the other booths so we skipped it in the beginning but then didn't go back. :sad2:

(note: not recommeded unless you are having this specific craving :laughing: )

When are people not craving nachos though? :rotfl:

For dessert we shared a passionfruit cheesecake with toasted macadamia nuts ($4) which was actually really good and I am looking forward to trying again.

Yum that looks really good!

XxE4lSQl.png

The Nitro Chocolate Truffle was a hit for us again this year. "Liquid Nitro Chocolate Almond Truffle with Warm Whiskey Caramel, $4.75". Ours was extra frozen as the chef was having a hard time fishing it out of the nitro, and I have to say I think this is the key to really enjoying this item during the opening days of the festival. I have read a few negative reviews that seem to be primarily critiques of the texture and lack of frozen-ness, so we were lucky to receive an extra cold one. This is sweet but creamy and the perfect size to share since it is rich.
Yum! I cannot wait to try this. And what a perfect breakfast :-)

RYlRoy4l.png

We tried both Kurt Russell wines: Gogi Chardonnay and Gogi Pinot Noir. The Chardonnay was surprisingly good to me, though maybe I just enjoyed that it was chilled. The Pinot Noir was lighter bodied than I was expecting, though I know some Pinots can be. I was expecting much more from the Pinot Noir and did not find this to my liking. Perhaps I got a bad bottle because I have read nice accolades about this one online - I found it dry with an unpleasant aftertaste - not quite vinegary but somewhat dusty and overly tannic. Considering that the Chardonnay was $10 for 2 oz and the Pinot was $15 for 2 oz, I certainly expected more from these wines and I would not even use a tab to taste these again.
$10 and $15 for 2 oz of wine is absurd. I was curious what the price point was and a bottle is only $50. Now I expect some kind of mark-up, but given that they can get like 12 pours out of a bottle that is just ridiculous! Think I'll be skipping this :P

xK3It5Ml.png

Yay! There were. "Zesty Cheeseburger and Macaroni Handwich" - $5.50. R liked this a lot, I think. I loved the cheeseburger macaroni inside but thought the cone itself was pretty bland. I love the novelty and would like to see Disney bring these back year round. Wouldn't they go great at a kiosk in the America pavilion?
They should add these year round. What a cute way to eat some yumminess around the World Showcase.

Xr8ZB7Fl.png

AREN'T THEY MAJESTIC?! They came from the Mexico quick service, of course - Cantina San Angel. They were $11.25 and all that I had dreamt of. (note: not recommeded unless you are having this specific craving :laughing: )
Ya know sometimes you just have to get down to basics and only yellow cheese and chips will do. Side note, I suddenly want some nachos

Enjoyed the pics and commentary! Agree that--save for the top end--wine costing double digit figures for anything short of a 5-6 ounce pour of wine is highway robbery.

I like how you started with dessert for your first meal, that is totally something I would do. I wish they had more shade set up so when you wait in the long lines you aren't roasting. Those nachos look so good I want to reach through my screen and eat them. And isn't it always the best to have another trip already planned, takes the sadness of leaving away a bit. :)

The Nitro Chocolate Truffle was a hit for us again this year. "Liquid Nitro Chocolate Almond Truffle with Warm Whiskey Caramel,
This shall make the perfect breakfast for me in Nov. I suppose I'll share with Steve...........seriously though this looks and sounds amazing!

As does this! Which booth was this from?

Fun short trip you guys had, as usual :) Jealous (as usual) that you get to go back again so soon and also noticing AGAIN that we're missing you. We need to coordinate!

Enjoyed your reviews! I thought wine prices at the booths were absurd this year. The Veuve was probably the best value. :scratchin I stuck with beer for the most part and enjoyed glasses of wine at TS instead because I just couldn't even.

I look forward to your next report, although you do make me long for the days of our adult trips before the days of the boy. Eating dinner at 9 pm? :rotfl2: Alas, maybe someday when he can go to the kid's clubs. One can dream anyway.

I'm late to this one, but anxious to read all about your next trip... which is incredibly close!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

I am also interested in that passion fruit macadamia nut dessert. Looks awesome.

Isn't it soooo sad when you leave? At least you know you are coming back soon.

Hi there! Great reviews. Heading to F&W this weekend and already purchased the sampler coupons. Did they allow you to use them on the champagne at Almond Orchard?

I'm so sad I missed this booth, the tart looked really good; but a little big. I didn't want to spoil my appetite at the other booths so we skipped it in the beginning but then didn't go back. :sad2:

When are people not craving nachos though? :rotfl:

Yum that looks really good!
So jealous of your recent trip but loving the sneak peek on fb :thumbsup2 hoping you will make it over to my newest DR and link me when you get your new threads going!

Yum! I cannot wait to try this. And what a perfect breakfast :-)

$10 and $15 for 2 oz of wine is absurd. I was curious what the price point was and a bottle is only $50. Now I expect some kind of mark-up, but given that they can get like 12 pours out of a bottle that is just ridiculous! Think I'll be skipping this :P

They should add these year round. What a cute way to eat some yumminess around the World Showcase.

Ya know sometimes you just have to get down to basics and only yellow cheese and chips will do. Side note, I suddenly want some nachos

Suddenly I want ALL the Disney food! Agree on the craziness of the wine pours. And per your recent posts I know that you and I share the same method of going a little heavier on the beer indulgence instead. Smart move!

Enjoyed the pics and commentary! Agree that--save for the top end--wine costing double digit figures for anything short of a 5-6 ounce pour of wine is highway robbery.

Uh, yeah. Would much rather have a full size glass in a nice lounge somewhere at that price!

I like how you started with dessert for your first meal, that is totally something I would do. I wish they had more shade set up so when you wait in the long lines you aren't roasting. Those nachos look so good I want to reach through my screen and eat them. And isn't it always the best to have another trip already planned, takes the sadness of leaving away a bit. :)

It definitely does. I have loved reading about your long-weekend trips too! It helps me pass the time between visits without too much pain (but lots more anticipation!)

This shall make the perfect breakfast for me in Nov. I suppose I'll share with Steve...........seriously though this looks and sounds amazing!

As does this! Which booth was this from?

Fun short trip you guys had, as usual :) Jealous (as usual) that you get to go back again so soon and also noticing AGAIN that we're missing you. We need to coordinate!

Yeah, when do I need to plan my trip for to coordinate with you? :rotfl:

Enjoyed your reviews! I thought wine prices at the booths were absurd this year. The Veuve was probably the best value. :scratchin I stuck with beer for the most part and enjoyed glasses of wine at TS instead because I just couldn't even.

I look forward to your next report, although you do make me long for the days of our adult trips before the days of the boy. Eating dinner at 9 pm? :rotfl2: Alas, maybe someday when he can go to the kid's clubs. One can dream anyway.

I love your method! Yes, much prefer the beer offerings at the festivals. I hope you will join me over on my new DR in which I try to do a better job posting more regularly rather than waiting three months in between... :teeth:

We are definitely off-peak eaters. Not so much in the real world, but definitely at Disney. I totally understand about needing to make sure the kiddo stays close to schedule. I have heard lovely things about the kids' clubs so I know you will be enjoying late dates as soon as you can take advantage of those!!!

I'm late to this one, but anxious to read all about your next trip... which is incredibly close!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Late but then abandoned :sad: oof, sorry about that! Life got in my way a bit and kept me too far for too long. I'm back though and looking forward to catching up with your report!!

All caught up and looking forward to your next trip! :)
I would expect nothing less from my comrade in cocktails!!! Glad to have you.

I am also interested in that passion fruit macadamia nut dessert. Looks awesome.

Isn't it soooo sad when you leave? At least you know you are coming back soon.

Yes! But loving being a disney "regular". THanks for reading along, Niki!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts