Food and Wine 2017 Opening days

MarieShedsky

Princess in Training
So, we ventured out to the opening day of Food and Wine 2017, and continued eating our way around the world the next day as well. My brother and mom did most of the tasting, with me somewhat joining in (I'm local and can get it whenever though, and since this is their vacation I only snuck a bite or two while they enjoyed). Here's our review of the booths so far!

Greece- Loaded Greek Nachos: both though it was really good. The decent size serving made it a really good value. Would recommend- brother is already wanting another round of this one. 9/10
IMG_5163.JPG

Craft Beer- Zesty cheeseburger and cheddar cheese macaroni handwich: Hard to eat as an actual sandwich. Mom found it a little too spicy for her tastes, brother says it has spice but not too overwhelming. The bread is like a unsalted pretzel. More macaroni than cheeseburger. Could have used more meat in brother's opinion. Fair value because it's filling. 6/10
IMG_5164.JPG

Costal Eats- Seared Scallops: scallops cooked very well, the succotash is tasty. Chipotle sauce is not too spicy, just adds a little flavor. 8/10.
IMG_5165.JPG
Costal Eats- Lump crab cake: Good, crab flavor is very strong, slaw also had good flavor, but some pieces are a little big which made it hard to eat. Brother says, "Not disappointed that I tried it but not one I'd necessarily get again". 6/10
IMG_5167.JPG

Wine & Dine- Pulled Duck Confeit: Generous portion of duck, ragout is good, good value for the price. Duck confeit with polenta from last year was a little better (it was a favorite) but the portion of duck is bigger this year and is still good. 8.5/10
IMG_5169.JPG

Cheese Studio- stand was very unorganized. Asked our order several times, and checked guests receipts multiple times (to the point that the guests were telling them other people's orders). Cheese trio: smoked salmon pinwheel with Boursin shallot and chive cheese- ok, nothing special. Worst of the 3. Strawberry Macaron with Boursin pepper cheese- didn't taste any pepper. Profiterole topped with Boursin garlic and fine herbs cheese and orange apricot jam: better as one bite. Each thing was decent, but it wasn't a great value and there wasn't a ton of cheese for being a cheese trio. 5/10
IMG_5176.JPG
Cheese Studio- Boursin cheese tart: delicious. Very good value. Crust is good. Very filling. Mom wants it again, and soon. Says it was a great breakfast but (perhaps a negative if wanting to try many things or not sharing) made her very full. 9.5/10 mom, 8.5/10 Joe.
IMG_5177.JPG

Belgium- Braised beef with smoked Gouda mashed potatoes: Liked mashed potatoes. Meat isn't fall apart tender, but still tender. Gravy is good, good veggies.
IMG_0840.JPG
Belgium-Belgian waffle with warm chocolate ganache: whipped cream melted fast. Maybe temp on waffle maker was too high because outside is crisp but inside mushy (I haven't had problem in previous years). Flavor was good. Delivers what you'd expect. 7-7.5/10.
IMG_0839.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5210.JPG
    IMG_5210.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Ireland- chocolate pudding (oops, late picture): tastes like chocolate cake that's not cooked all the way (in a good way). Mom 10/10. Too dark for my taste but still 8/10. Would get again.
IMG_5178.JPG
Ireland- Warm Irish cheddar cheese and stout dip: Good. Cheese dip is very good, but not enough bread for the amount of dip. Tastes like a strong cheese soup. 8.5/10.
IMG_5179.JPG

Hops & Barley- lobster roll: lobster is served cold, served with an aioli that had strong dill flavor but tasted good. Fairly small for the price. 8.5/10
IMG_5210.JPG
Hops & barley- Smoked Beef brisket and pimento cheese: good value, large portion. Lots of meat. Brisket wasn't dry, good flavor. A bit hard to eat (you'd want a table). Little bit of heat. Overall very good. 8.5/10
Lobster roll probably tasted a bit better but brisket was good and a better value.
IMG_5211.JPG

Farm Fresh- cider flight: they were out of elderberry but didn't say anything until at the tap (after paying) as they ran out during the person in front of us (They also ran out of chicken but the cart came while we were in line). Both liked the raspberry best, thought the citrus was ok but not great.
IMG_5212.JPG
Crispy chicken on griddled cornbread: cornbread a little small, chicken was decent size, and was juicy. Gravy is good, almost tastes like it has coffee notes. 8/10
IMG_5213.JPG

At the end of the night, brother tried the liquid nitrogen truffle and the chocolate raspberry tart from the chocolate studio. We were stuffed from eating at Biergarten (sooooo good) so we have no review for this. I didn't ask him or get s picture, because it was nighttime and rainy. But I think he enjoyed them. The liquid nitrogen truffle returned from last year, and I enjoyed it then.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reviews and pictures. Getting my itinerary ready for when we go. Can't wait to see more.

Glad I had some more people with me this year. I can't try everything when it's just me, so I'm glad I was able to do some reviews. Love reading them from others. Mom will be back in 2 weeks and we plan on sampling some more then. :-)

This is a great review of an assortment of the offerings available. Makes me really look forward to my trip next month! Thanks for this.

I had the chocolate pudding at the Ireland booth ( twice actually, on separate days) and I agree - 10/10!

Thanks for the reviews! We aren't going until early Nov. so I'm interested to see what people say between now and then :) I hope they don't run out of cider when we're there because that flight is on my list!

Good reviews and pictures, I had the greek nachos last year and they were my favorite from the entire festival. I've noticed at the beginning of the festivals, both F&G and F&W they tend to run out of things at the booths, maybe they are still getting the feel for the amount to have on hand. Got ugly last year and F&G at one of the booths, a woman was not happy she had to wait for them to bring more and cook it. My son and I just sat back and drank our refreshing adult beverages and enjoyed the show.

No pictures, but brother says:
Chocolate Studio- stand was having some issues because of a thunderstorm. They'd just brought the registers in and seemed to be having some issues due to the weather.
liquid nitrogen truffle: had way too much of the whiskey caramel sauce, so it overpowered the chocolate. Wasn't a problem last year.
Raspberry chocolate torte: really good. No waiting on it (already prepped). Not as overwhelming dark chocolate as some, had more of a raspberry flavor than expected.

We're wanting to try the cauliflower risotto, maybe the chocolate baklava, or the almond honey something or the other at Greece. Next week!

Thanks so much for the reviews, especially of the loaded Greek nachos. That's the one thing I'm most looking forward to trying, and now that it's gotten a positive review, I'm really psyched.

Holy heck, im drooling on my keyboard. Love the review and pics. I seriously cant wait to go in early November! :hyper:

Bring on the pics!!! DH and I thought we weren't going to be able to attend F&W for the first time in 4 years. We were so excited when we found out we could go! I've been looking at menus and plotting out my path. These pics got me drooling!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter