Food allergies

geordie ric

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone.
I would like to hear from anyone who has had food allergies and visited WDW.
How did you find the options for eating and how did the staff treat any specific requests regarding food allergies.
As i,m from the UK I would like to know how seriously food allergies are taken in the USA and what food labeling is like.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.
:teeth:

I have a severe fish & shellfish allergy & WDW has been wonderful working with me at all of their many restaurants that we have visited. Disney chefs seems to be very well-informed & willing to work with you to accomodate whatever you need. Do a search on this board & I'm sure you will find other threads. Outside of Disney, restaurants are much less informed. One of the reasons why we like visiting Disney - they have put the pleasure back in dining out for me!

At table service restaurants, inform WDW-Dine of your allergy when you make your ADR's (PS's, reservations - whatever they are called these days). They will note it & give you instructions. Some of the restaurants & with some allergies you may need to contact the restaurant in advance. WDW-Dine should also be able to give you advice on whom to contact regarding eating in the parks (counter service, etc.) Good luck - WDW has always taken good care of me in this regard & I'm sure they will you too.

You might want to do a search on food allergies - there is a lot of good info here on the boards! Here is a link to one thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=806868&highlight=brenda+bennett

I've posted there about our experiences - very positive. I have a 3 yr old who is very allergic to peanuts/tree nuts and is also a type 1 diabetic. Definitey contact Brenda Bennett if you have questions - her contact info is in the link above.

WDW is the best place I have ever found to eat with food allergies. My son is anaflactic to several things. Nuts, dairy, some fruits, some plants.

Food labeling is good but could be better, depends on what you are allergic to. "Spices" for instance, can be a problem. My son is allergic to some of the mint family and some kinds of basil. That is big fun. If your allergy is dairy it is pretty easy to find foods with kosher labels in the US.

In general nuts and milk and shell fish are easy to deal with so you can even find a variety of counter service meals that are safe. If your allergies are more like my sons you might be better off with table service eating. At the TS places the chefs will come and talk to you and then prepare your meal (and they are careful about prep surfaces too, I had to check to be sure).

When you make dining reservations have them note the food allergy. They will give you a number to call. Mention it again when you check in, because they have to get the chef out to talk to you. Make sure your server is aware also.

Thanks everyone for the advice.It,s very reassuring to hear views and the good experiences from people who have been to WDW AND understand what dealing with food allergies is really like.
Not coming to WDW till Feb 2006 but browsing this whole message board is wetting my appetite so much. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter