Food Allergies

momof2n2

DIS Veteran
I know, I really do know, about contacting guest services, etc. ahead of time. :) And we will.

But can anyone share their firsthand experiences with navigating food allergies at DLR? Are there better, or worse, places to try to eat? In a dozen trips to WDW we have never had anything but outstanding service, (with a one time exception in the Land at Epcot.) I strongly suspect we will stick with quick service, as much as possible; but I am considering a package for WOC, or possibly F!

I know, I really do know, about contacting guest services, etc. ahead of time. :) And we will.

But can anyone share their firsthand experiences with navigating food allergies at DLR? Are there better, or worse, places to try to eat? In a dozen trips to WDW we have never had anything but outstanding service, (with a one time exception in the Land at Epcot.) I strongly suspect we will stick with quick service, as much as possible; but I am considering a package for WOC, or possibly F!
My wife has Celiac. Our experience at the table service restaurants has been excellent. She has eaten with us multiple times at Blue Bayou, Carthay Circle, and Carnation Cafe. They are very accommodating. Sometimes the chef will even come out to the table to clarify needs. They are very aware of cross contamination, etc.

She brings her own food when we eat at counter service, so I can't speak to those.

My husband has a very restricted diet. When we eat at counter service or table service, the chef or cook will talk to him about it. They usually come up with something that works. They even cleaned off a section of the grill at Bengal BBQ so he could get something without risk of cross contamination. He does bring some of his own food, too.

We have never had any problems at DLR, and I have numerous allergies and food sensitivities. But we are careful to be proactive about communicating on our reservations, when we check in, with our servers, with the chefs who come to our table, etc. And we try to dine at non-peak hours so that the staff has more time to talk with me and the kitchen will not be rushed and crazy. (Be aware that if you order customized food at CS locations, you may have to wait a while for your order -- so off peak times are best.) We've had great experiences at NR and always have very good experiences at Carnation Cafe. I study the menus ahead of time (allears.net) to keep up with any changes and ask for the ingredient binder at the counter if necessary. Usually I can find some kind of work around at CS places. DTD works well, too. We've had not great experiences at Schmoozies in DCA (I can't tolerate the smoothie base), but have had great experiences at Jamba Juice. JJ will customize within reason, so I can get lots of things that work for me. For WOC Dessert Party, I always note on the reservation that I have special food needs, and someone from the central bakery calls me back to discuss what I want. Never had a problem. When I check in, my allergies are noted at the podium and I receive a different color wristband to alert the servers that my dessert plate is different. With WOC or F! dining packages, we usually go with CCR and BB and have never had a problem. (Same routine: note on reservation, repeat at check in, repeat with server, speak with chef if needed.) Since DH and I share a lot of food items, I ask for most sauces and things on the side so that he can enjoy them and I don't risk a reaction. The key at DLR is good planning and good communication.

Thank you for your responses! It sounds like it was handled every bit as well at Disneyland as it is at Walt Disney World. This is awesome.

Thank you for recommending specific eateries, as well. We tend to bring some of our own snacks, but since DS can eat a lot of basic foods we do try to get him hot meals along the way.

We had an absolutely hideous experience at a Cedar Fair park over the summer. Not all parks are created equal!

ask for the ingredient binder at the counter

Is this at all locations? Just quick service? I don't eat out a lot since I have multiple allergies. I basically eat a gluten free diet, but a lot of wheat substitutes (corn,oats, etc...) I'm also allergic too. Therefore just if a menu says it's gluten free, the majority of the time I can't eat it. So if I could see the ingredients of everything that would be fabulous!

We went to DL this past summer with a friend who has celiac disease. She lives in So Cal and eating gluten free is quite in vogue where she lives...to the point where she makes sure to tell every server (whether it's CS or TS) that she's truly allergic to gluten and it's not just a lifestyle choice. It's for a medical reason. That little elevator speech usually gets her point across.

She had zero problems at DL. We ate at Blue Bayou and several CS places with her and her husband. The server had a gluten free menu for her and even went back to confirm stuff with the chef. Every CS place we went to had gluten free options. For example, Hungry Bear had gluten free buns and they prepare their fries in a fryer that only does french fries (i.e., is not used to also fry the breaded chicken).

In terms of ice cream, the ice cream shops all had gluten free ice cream options. They scoop it for you in the back on a sanitized surface with zero cross contamination.

She also brought some of her own snacks with her.

She also bought CS snacks. Popcorn, corn on the cob at DCA.

Is this at all locations? Just quick service?.. if I could see the ingredients of everything that would be fabulous!

Most/all CS places should have an ingredient list or binder behind the counter available for guests who ask. (At TS locations, a chef will come out to discuss your order with you.) Newer CMs may not know about the list/binder, so don't be afraid to ask for a lead if your request is denied. If there isn't a binder at that location, a chef should be able to come out of the kitchen to speak with you. You can request this, if it isn't suggested to you. This is why I advise eating at off hours and less busy times. Having special dietary needs can take up a lot of time at the counter and with the staff, so it really helps if the CMs and the kitchen aren't swamped when you arrive. If something has to be made custom for you, and the kitchen is already super busy, you may be waiting for a while until your order is ready. But overall, DLR is very good with dealing with food allergies and special dietary needs. They take it very seriously, so don't be afraid to ask about your issues. Just be clear about your needs and flexible about what they can offer.

Last edited:
We had a chef come speak with us at Jolly holiday.

We are not worried about cross contamination. It’s a sensitivity to gluten, not celiac.

I know they are accommodating at Carnation cafe. Went with a friend who has a shellfish allergy. Even though none of their menu items have shellfish they still gave her an allergy menu which lists the ingredients for all the items they serve. She also has to avoid pork (but not allergic) so she appreciated that the menu had everything listed so she knew.

I so appreciate all the responses here. Good to know what else is out there.
My adult DD has a sensitivity to gluten and can't eat dairy foods. She loves Wine Country Trattoria. They have a gluten free bun and a gluten free pasta that she absolutely loves.
Also the French Market has a gluten free menu for kids that complies with her diet. She doesn't eat a lot of food so we always take the package food (apple sauce and the like) with us for munching on later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!