Food Allergies & Oreo Cookies

GoofyFairie

DIS Veteran
My children would love to try Oreo cookies, but with their food allergies I don't believe they are safe. We are avoiding peanuts, tree nuts, eggs and sesame. My concern is that there is also a peanut flavor and that they are all produced on the same line. I have called, but I get the typical computer generated answer. Are there other parents out there avoiding the same things that are giving their children oreos with no allergic reactions? I have tried searching for a recipe to make from scratch, but have been unsuccessful. Can anyone help me out here?

Thank you so much! I have been looking for an oreo recipe and never had any luck. My kids are going tobe so excited! :)

I don't know anything about Oreos as the friend I have with quite a few severe food allergies (including the ones you list) is also allergic to dairy, but I do know that Newman's Own Organics brand does a similar cookie that was safe for her.

The cookies are called Newman's-Os and come in several flavors. The only flavour she can't have is, obviously, the peanut butter flavour. As someone who has no food allergies and loves Oreos, I can assure you that they're a pretty accurate replacement taste-wise.

I know Whole Foods carries them, but a lot of other non-specialty grocery stores I've been to do as well.

Thank you. I will check into those. It is very rural where I live so finding things has proven to be a bit of a problem. Sometimes my sister can ship me things or bring me stock when she comes to visit. My kids have been eyeing those golden oreos in the snack isle for quite some time! At least now I can try to bake some.

target sells the newmans brands ( super target) and I think you can order them off amazon.

you can also order allergy free foods off amazon:) true you have to buy more than 1 package.
let us know how the oreos come out:)

Target is an hours drive from me. I will check into amazon. I'll try the reciepe for oreo when I get to the grocery store again, which will be a few days. Thanks for all the help everyone!

We just avoid peanuts and tree nuts and my daughter has eaten Oreos both the Chocolate and Vanilla...I called on them and they said they label for may contains...I am sorry I don't remember exactly what they told me....but I feel that after talking to them they are safe...

DS1 is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts & fish and eats Oreos just fine. We typically just do the vanilla because the chocolate are so messy but he has had the chocolate too.

My peanut allergic daughter loves Oreos and Newman-O's! The puffy faced kid that usually takes over my child when exposed has not been seen after eating either one.

Just wanted to add that my tree nut allergic daughter also loves Oreos. We've had no problems whatsoever with them, and they are often the treat I bring for her to have at birthday parties, etc. when she can't have what the others have.

My son has severe PN and TN allergies. I worked for a large food manufacturer for many years in R&D, and while I cannot answer your question specifically for Oreos, I can tell you that since they sell so many "regular" Oreos it is unlikely that other flavors are produced on the same line. I would guess that they have other manufacturing lines dedicated to the other flavors that may change from day to day or so.

My son eats Oreos without problems. Based on my experience, large food companies generally have very good cleaning (HACCP) plans in place to eliminate the possibility of cross-contamination. It is often the much smaller companies that you have to worry about when it comes to cross-contamination with allergens, as a very small operation may not have the facilities to keep the right controls in place.

When you call a large corporation, your call will usually be answered by a consumer response person that has a computer in front of her and gets answers by typing in keywords. Then they will read a written response. You can always ask to speak to a manager or ask to be called back by a manager, and you can get better information on your question. I have trained consumer response departments in the past, and when trying to find out about allergy-related information, if the answer I get is not helpful or does not seem correct, I do not hesitate to ask for someone higher up.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for all the responses. I am planning on letting my children try the oreo's soon. I must admit it makes me nervous to try new products. I have seen one of my children suffer anaphylaxis and I don't want that to happen again.

I don't know anything about Oreos as the friend I have with quite a few severe food allergies (including the ones you list) is also allergic to dairy, but I do know that Newman's Own Organics brand does a similar cookie that was safe for her.

The cookies are called Newman's-Os and come in several flavors. The only flavour she can't have is, obviously, the peanut butter flavour. As someone who has no food allergies and loves Oreos, I can assure you that they're a pretty accurate replacement taste-wise.

I know Whole Foods carries them, but a lot of other non-specialty grocery stores I've been to do as well.

Actually oreos do not contain dairy. My son has a metabolic disorder and can not have any dairy at all and oreos are safe for him. However they may be processed on equipment containing dairy so you would need to call the company to find out if the machine they are processed on is cleaned first. Many times they are but they still have to list this because it is processed in the same factory. May be processed on does not affect my sons condition as it only contains trace amounts and not enough to harm him. But with an allergy some people might have reactions to this.

Your kids have the same allergies as mine and they eat regular Oreos all the time. It's one of the few prepackaged cookies they can have. The Newman-O's have a nut warning on the packages. I called them and was told that they are manufactured in a plant that processes products with nuts, so we avoid them.

I was really nervous the first time I gave my PA son Oreos, but he has never had a reaction yet. It is the only cookie I let him eat actually unless I make him chocolate chip cookies from home and order the chocolate chips from Peanut Free Planet.

We'll have to try the Newman's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!