Food allergies and Halloween party treats?

disneyandme

DIS Veteran
My DD has many food allergies and can't have any candy-- we haven't found any without at least one of her allergens. Anyway, we are thinking of heading to Disney for the Halloween party and I was reading about allergy friendly trick or treating being available. I know it could change, but could someone tell me what they have experienced and if there are any non food treat options.

We have not experienced it personally, but last year there were lots of Teal stops for allergy-friendly "treats" (and I think not all of the "treats" were food related). I saw kids with Teal bags as well.

There is so much to do at the party besides trick-or-treating; the Boo To You parade, the stage show, and so many characters to meet! You can search for Hidden Mickeys (give her a camera and make a scrapbook when you get home to remember the Big Hunt!) make pressed pennies and pin trading is great fun as well!

If I were in your shoes, I might try to bring along some non-food treats, and slip them to CMs quickly (maybe in a little treat bag that is sealed) so that the CM can give your little Princess her special treat. Or, maybe set a timer on your phone and every 30 minutes, it's "treat time!" and you pull out another little non-food treat!

I hope you all have a wonderful time - MNSSHP is one of our favorite events!

My son has food allergies and we did the party last Fall. I think they had non-food treats but (if memory serves) they are things geared towards little kids. I see you have a 17 and 13 year old (and I have teens as well) so they might not be interested in small toys/stickers.

We have not experienced it personally, but last year there were lots of Teal stops for allergy-friendly "treats" (and I think not all of the "treats" were food related). I saw kids with Teal bags as well.

There is so much to do at the party besides trick-or-treating; the Boo To You parade, the stage show, and so many characters to meet! You can search for Hidden Mickeys (give her a camera and make a scrapbook when you get home to remember the Big Hunt!) make pressed pennies and pin trading is great fun as well!

If I were in your shoes, I might try to bring along some non-food treats, and slip them to CMs quickly (maybe in a little treat bag that is sealed) so that the CM can give your little Princess her special treat. Or, maybe set a timer on your phone and every 30 minutes, it's "treat time!" and you pull out another little non-food treat!

I hope you all have a wonderful time - MNSSHP is one of our favorite events!
not sure how the CM would know which child to give treat if done before you arrive at treat station. child would see if you are already there

My son has food allergies and we did the party last Fall. I think they had non-food treats but (if memory serves) they are things geared towards little kids. I see you have a 17 and 13 year old (and I have teens as well) so they might not be interested in small toys/stickers.

Thanks. It's actually Ok if its geared towards little kids. She just likes knowing that someone cares enough to include non food treats. She keeps what she likes and gives the rest to friends, family, etc.

I didn't go last year, but the process was that you pick up a teal allergy treat bag. You can do this when everyone else gets their non-allergy treat bag with the starter bag of candy (allergy bag will come with a teal token or two instead of candy) or at any of the treat stations. Then at each treat station when the allergy bag is shown, cast members will give more teal tokens instead of candy. After you're done trick or treating, take the bag of tokens to one of the allergy treat centers for redemption (last year there was one on Main St and one at Heritage House in Liberty Square- your MNSSHP map will list the locations). Here, you will trade in the tokens for allergy friendly treats. Here is what they had last year:

download.jpg

I have heard that they can run out of items as the night progresses so some people recommend stopping for an exchange early in the night to ensure you end up with a few things you really want, then continuing trick or treating.

Thanks. It's actually Ok if its geared towards little kids. She just likes knowing that someone cares enough to include non food treats. She keeps what she likes and gives the rest to friends, family, etc.

I realize I sent my post this morning without finishing it - lol! I meant to say that my son liked the coins they gave out (that you trade for something at the allergy station) and kept some of those but traded the rest for candy. I thought your daughter might like the coins as keepsakes!

OP just know if they don't do the official version again this year (this was year 2 I believe so I think it'll stick around for good) then in years prior you could stop by guest relations and trade for allergy friend food or non-food items. It use to be a case by case basis and parents would need to keep the non safe candy away from their kids until they could get it to GR but I heard everything from being offered just the "allergy friendly" candies that cover the major allergies up to getting a no strings paper for a souvenir worth a certain amount of money that the child could then go pick out at the Emporium themselves. They don't do that any more because of the teal tokens but just know if the teal tokens aren't offered that had been the previous accommodation.

Man, this is awesome! When I was a kid, I just had to give all the candy I couldn't eat to my brother. It's great that they're giving kids with allergies more options these days. Whoever came up with this Teal Pumpkin thing ought to be praised!

If they'd had this when I did the Halloween Party I would have done this and I'm an adult! LOL

I did do this when I did the Halloween party and I am an adult! LOL!

It was great. I was there in early October and they were out of the gluten free cookies. The candy was still available. I didn't see any non-food options.

Man, this is awesome! When I was a kid, I just had to give all the candy I couldn't eat to my brother. It's great that they're giving kids with allergies more options these days. Whoever came up with this Teal Pumpkin thing ought to be praised!

Totally agree what a great idea - Disney being amazing again - Think it's great that they are trying include everyone!!

Aw that's really sweet of your DD just getting enjoyment out of the idea of people helping other people and giving stuff she can have away to friends and family; but fingers crossed there's lots of things she does likes in the mix to add to the enjoyment of taking part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter