Flying: Tips for staying healthy

desertbloom

Mouseketeer
Flying down tomorrow morning and wondering what tips people have for staying healthy in an airplane. This flu has got me pretty freaked out.

My tip is bringing chlorox wipes on the plane and wiping down all surfaces. I get some weird looks but whatever. lol

I do the same thing. Wash hands frequently. Use sleeve of shirt to put on your hand to open doors. Hey whatever works. I am the same way!

Flying down tomorrow morning and wondering what tips people have for staying healthy in an airplane. This flu has got me pretty freaked out.

My tip is bringing chlorox wipes on the plane and wiping down all surfaces. I get some weird looks but whatever. lol
I would be more worried about be seated by someone who would be getting sick or coughing a lot than what I could clean with wipe plus wipe will not help on the cloth airplane seats. you can be exposed to flu by someone with no symptoms

I would be more worried about be seated by someone who would be getting sick or coughing a lot than what I could clean with wipe plus wipe will not help on the cloth airplane seats. you can be exposed to flu by someone with no symptoms

Yep. The only time I ever got sick from a flight was when I was seated next to a guy who was coughing the whole time. Having someone coughing near you is the best way to get sick!

We're doing the wipes on the hard surfaces too. It may be a placebo-type action, but I don't care, at least I FEEL like I'm doing something, haha. Also just in general we've started really enforcing hand-washing before meals and Don't Touch Your Face to our 3.5 YO DD. I mean, to clarify, we generally try to wash hands before meals (I promise we're not gross) but if the toddler is freaking out about Whatever, sometimes it's easiest to just use wipes. But we've been less lenient about it this winter.

I also bought some antibacterial wipes at CVS for when she's touching everything under the sun at the airport. It's impossible for a 3.5 YO (please tell me it's not just us) to keep her hands to herself. Additionally, we're giving her a bath and taking showers after we check in. I don't know if this is a standard for Normal People or if we're just lazy, but we're doing it this trip post-flight and when we come home too.

We're generally not germaphobes, but the strain of flu this year has us taking more precautions than any other time we've flown.

I saw a segment on this on the news. The flu can live in hard surfaces like the trays and armrests for 24 hours so it’s a good idea to wipe them down. It doesn’t live on cloth for very long so you don’t have to worry about cloth seats. They also said you could wear a mask. Finally, the dry air makes it so your nostrils can get dry and that makes it easier for the flu virus to get in to your body when you breathe it in, so they recommended saline nasal spray for while you are in the air.

We're doing the wipes on the hard surfaces too. It may be a placebo-type action, but I don't care, at least I FEEL like I'm doing something, haha. Also just in general we've started really enforcing hand-washing before meals and Don't Touch Your Face to our 3.5 YO DD. I mean, to clarify, we generally try to wash hands before meals (I promise we're not gross) but if the toddler is freaking out about Whatever, sometimes it's easiest to just use wipes. But we've been less lenient about it this winter.

I also bought some antibacterial wipes at CVS for when she's touching everything under the sun at the airport. It's impossible for a 3.5 YO (please tell me it's not just us) to keep her hands to herself. Additionally, we're giving her a bath and taking showers after we check in. I don't know if this is a standard for Normal People or if we're just lazy, but we're doing it this trip post-flight and when we come home too.

We're generally not germaphobes, but the strain of flu this year has us taking more precautions than any other time we've flown.
the damage will already be done by time you get to resort and that is assuming your room is ready and you are not waiting hours to get into your room. check and make sure your wipes kill viruses as not all kill. if they don't kill you are better off with washing with soap and water. and as I have said before your seat which neither soap and water nor wipes help will cause more problems that hard items as you will be touching seat. look for plastic gloves that will fit her hands to wear at airport. also keep favorite lovies/toys in suitcase while at airport. remember she will not be allowed to carry a blanket/toy though TSA check point

I usually end up eyeballing everyone looking for coughing people and praying they don’t sit next to me. this trip is just me and hubby so it leaves an open spot in our row. I bought masks. If someone near us is coughing I will put it on. Or maybe hand one to them. lol! I also bought the saline spray for our noses to help keep them moist and we had our flu shots, not that they are of much use this year. I always get one as I am asthmatic. I hope everyone traveling has a safe and healthy trip this winter. We can’t eliminate our illness risk while flying but I am sure as heck trying to reduce it as much as possible!

We have a rule, no restroom until we land. Restrooms on planes gross me out. The rule works great on a 2 hour flight but is pretty tough on six hours and longer..

We have a rule, no restroom until we land. Restrooms on planes gross me out. The rule works great on a 2 hour flight but is pretty tough on six hours and longer..
doesn't work well even at 2 hours with young kids been there done that when I was not allowed to take young daughter to first class restroom and she had an accident on the seat. snack cart was in aisle at the time between our seats and the bathroom. same FA was not happy when told. in fact she told me I should have had her in a diaper which daughter had not worn for 6 months. young child and a drink means a trip to bathroom

I found some disposable airplane sea covers the other day online that were $14 for two. It's too late for you to get them if you are flying out tomorrow though. But yeah, wiping down the arm rests and especially the tray is important, it's said to be the most germy spot on an airplane! Also the magazines in the pocket infront of you (or just don't touch them, lol). Tons of hand sanitizer, don't touch your face, I've also heard of putting neosporin around your nostrils for any airborne germs.

Other than that have an AMAZING TRIP! :jumping1:

doesn't work well even at 2 hours with young kids been there done that when I was not allowed to take young daughter to first class restroom and she had an accident on the seat. snack cart was in aisle at the time between our seats and the bathroom. same FA was not happy when told. in fact she told me I should have had her in a diaper which daughter had not worn for 6 months. young child and a drink means a trip to bathroom

I understand you don't want to put your daughter in a diaper but if she can't hold it for a short time and she is sitting on a seat that other people have to sit on, perhaps the FA is correct that you should put a pull-up on her during the flight, just in case.

I understand you don't want to put your daughter in a diaper but if she can't hold it for a short time and she is sitting on a seat that other people have to sit on, perhaps the FA is correct that you should put a pull-up on her during the flight, just in case.
she usually held longer but when she had sugary drinks and the excitement it was her first accident in about 6 months. she would tear off diapers which was why we trained before the trip. she hated diapers. and I did tell FA daughter was in underwear her answer was too bad for you

1) Stay hydrated. The air is dry in the planes, so sip water during the flight, and make sure to drink enough water the day before.
2) Take your own water on the flight, and any snacks you may want, so you're not touching things after the flight attendant.
3) Several days before a flight, up the clean eating and the vitamin c, and D3. I love making smoothies so drank up my Vitamin C the whole week prior. Avoid pop and other sugary drinks before and during the flight.

THIS. Our DD is coming up on 4 (May 6th) an we flew down from JFK today. I had originally booked us row 29 on our Delta flight as it’s very close to the back restrooms. Come to find out they upgraded us from Main Cabin to whatever’s between Main Canin and First Class. Anyway, it equaled more legroom and row 10, directly behind first class.

The effing closest bathroom was the FC bathroom! I stopped a flight attendant and asked if my DD had to use the restroom, could she use the FC restroom at the front of the plan which was LITERALLY less than 20 feet from us and she said yes of course. Thank god for that or we’d have been screwed.

I’m so sorry your sweet thing had an accident due to stupid restroom “rules.”

And to the poster who mentioned to put them in pull-ups. Bless you but no potty-trained kid past about a month trained is going to be okay with wearing pull-ups. Toddlers get embarrassed and humiliated just like grown-ups. I can’t imagine telling my almost 4YO that she’d have to wear pull-ups on a plane JUST IN CASE. Our situation is unique as we got bumped up to “better” seats but if I hadn’t cleared it with the FA first, my DD would have to hold it until a) the cart moved; b) the first class FA took pity on us and let us use the FC restroom; or c) she wet herself.

In our situation there was no need for pull-ups because up until boarding we were at the back of the plane.

Seriously? Even as an adult sometimes I have a strong urge to "go". And I'm not about to wear a diaper. It is ridiculous that if the cart is blocking one restroom off they wouldn't allow someone in need to use the only accessible lav. Sometimes those carts are in the aisle for quite a while.

I was kind of posting a light harded comment. If our girls need to use the restroom I would not deny. We just try to go before the flight and our kids have been pretty good on a quick flight. Accidents can happen and I've never thought to put them in a pull up nor would i. I don't blame an airline for rules and can't understand how this subject took such a serious tone. Happy flying everyone.

@katyjeka My apologies for getting so heated, lol. It wasn’t directed at you and honestly I shouldn’t have been posting when I was exhausted from travel and dealing with a cranky toddler! Again, sincerest apologies.

I agree with this. As a frequent flyer and an adult, you can never guarantee the length of time on a flight that the pilot will ask everyone to remain in their seats for turbulence, etc. I have been on short two hour flights with so much turbulence that the pilot keep the seatbelt sign on the entire flight and passengers had to remain seated.

I also have four kids and based on age and length of time the child had been “potty trained” a back up of using a pull-up would have been a great idea.

@katyjeka My apologies for getting so heated, lol. It wasn’t directed at you and honestly I shouldn’t have been posting when I was exhausted from travel and dealing with a cranky toddler! Again, sincerest apologies.
Please no apologizes...I didn't think you were being mean. Cranky toddlers turn into wonderful people. Trust me I have four of them!!! No worries and happy travels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter