Flying Southwest

lynzi2004

DIS Veteran
We’ve been to Disney before but have always driven. This time we have chosen to use Southwest points and fly from Nashville to Orlando.

We’ve never flown on Southwest or with kids. DH and I haven’t flown in almost 10 years for that matter! Lol

Our kids will be 6, 5, and 9 months. How does family boarding work? Will we automatically be eligible for it? Do I need to request specific seats or check-in early?

I’m clueless when it comes to flying and the only reason I know to ask these questions is from the Disney trip reports that I’ve read and they’ve mentioned them. Can someone walk me through what I need to do please?!?

Thanks!!

On SW, family boarding allows families with children under 6 to board between A and B groups. (assuming it's an originating flight and not a plane with people on it from another destination, there will be a maximum of 60 people on the plane at that time)

Is the 9 month old a lap rider? You'll have to bring a birth certificate to get a boarding verification document in that case.

If you pay for early bird check in, you'll more than likely end up in the A group but if you don't it's not the end of the world (just remember to check in online 24 hours ahead of departure so you have a better boarding position). More than likely if you keep walking to the back of the plane, you should be able to find 2 rows of seats (dad with 2 kids, you with lap rider or vice versa). Same thing would apply if 9 month old was getting a seat. I would stick the 9 month old in a middle seat and have a parent on the aisle seat. Other parent sits with older 2 kids.

We fly southwest when we go to Disney. There is no assigned seats on a southwest flight. You can check in 24 hours prior to the flight. They will announce family boarding (which I think is for people with kids under 5 or 6) and you will get to board early. We have never had a problem getting seats together. Depending on the kids depends on how we split up. We've done it a few different ways. There is only 3 seats in a row so usually we split up 2 and 2.

Southwest is open seating so once onboard you choose any open seat you want.

If when you check in for your flight 24 hours prior you do not obtain boarding positions in the "A" boarding group you'd then do family boarding during the boarding process. Those that have kids ages 6 and younger will board the plane between group A and group B.

Thank you all for your replies! That sounds easy enough! We are very excited to take them on their first flight!

I'm only speaking for my experiences at my little airport, but I've found that the boarding process on SW is generally a lot calmer than on flights where the seats ARE assigned. And I also think if you're flying to MCO, you're expecting to be on a flight with families, so generally speaking (at least on that route) people are more willing to switch seats to make sure that parents and kids are seated together or near each other.​

If you have two adults, infant doing a lap seat and a toddler, will they allow you to sit together in one row? I thought I read in a post where you would have to be in separate rows, but may have been a different airline.

If you have two adults, infant doing a lap seat and a toddler, will they allow you to sit together in one row? I thought I read in a post where you would have to be in separate rows, but may have been a different airline.
This family will need 2 rows as they have 2A, 2C plus a baby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter