Flying southwest with a 23 month old

sln88

WDW 10/22/05 Wonder 10/27/05!
We did not purchase him a seat (no bashing)

What do we need to bring besides a birth certificate? He is going with Mom, but not dad. Does Dad need to give some kind of permission? They are not married but both are listed on the birth certificate.

Do we take the car seat to the gate in case there are empty seats? If there are not, would they check the car seat? Or is it too late at that point?

Any other tips?

Birth certificate is just so they know the child is under 2. They may or may not ask for it. If you are not leaving the country, the permission from the non-traveling parent isn’t an issue.

I have done 4 flights to and from Orlando alone with my 2. Their dad is deceased. No one ever asks about him. The guy at security would just ask my older child who she is traveling with; but that would not apply in your case.

When my son was near 2, the guy at security in Orlando did look at his boarding pass and call his name to see if he responded. My son looked at the guy when he heard his name and we went on. That’s the most that has ever happened at that age.

Flights to Orlando tend to be full so I would not hold out much hope on an empty seat. I would ask upon your arrival at the gate if the flight is full and if need be go ahead and do the gate check process for the seat at that point instead of waiting for boarding.

One note: you didn’t mention if your flight stops anywhere on the way to Orlando. If it does, see if they can tell you if the flight will fill at the next stop because if you by chance do get an empty seat and the flight makes a stop and more people get on, you might have an issue and have to give up the seat.

That being said, have a nice bag for the seat if you don’t have one already. If it is a large seat, be prepared for them to hand search the bag if it won’t fit on the belt at security. I had that happen once. If you do end up taking it on the plane and using it, they have to be installed in the window seat.

If the child likes fruit snacks or another gummy type snack, those are helpful for ear pressure. The back of the plane is the place to be.

Unless it is a really long flight, don’t feel the need to pack everything he or she might want to play with. I did that and my son spent most of the flight playing with an orange I had gotten before we got on the plane. My daughter at that age was more interested in snacking and looking out the window. Still is actually.

I hope it goes well for you. My daughter was a dream when she flew as a lap child. My son was totally different so he never did although he would spend time in my lap once the seat belt sign was off.

Last edited:
IF there is more than one adult traveling with you have the second adult sit in front not next to you. There is no way you can prevent a kid from kicking a seat during a flight and they will know not to recline to give you as much room as possible. If you get lucky and get an empty seat and use the car seat, have them sit in front of the car seat for the same reasons.

I flew with my son as a lap child at 21 months. After that, I can see why the cut off is 2 yrs. He was quite large to be in my lap the whole time and I was very thankful to be seated beside a family member and not a stranger because when he fell asleep, I let his legs spill over into my sister's area so my limbs wouldn't fall asleep. You can easily check a car seat and stroller right at the gate. They take it when you board the plane and it's waiting for you right outside when you land. Very easy. I think the likelihood of an open seat is very, very slim. I never needed any kind of ID for my child at any airport, and he went on 14 flights prior to age 2 (several without his father) AND has a different last name as I still use my maiden name. Nobody questioned his age or my relationship to him. I don't think you need a birth certificate. I never bring one. Bring snacks! Enjoy!

You need to let them know you'll have a lap child.
You'll need his birth certificate to verify that he is under 2.
You will not need a "permission slip" unless perhaps there's some custody arrangement or something.
It's a lap child so no you can't just bring on a car seat in hopes there iwll be an empty seat.
If you want a seat then purchase one for the child.
I would suggest gate checking the care seat as regularly checked items often are just tossed around.
Only bring the car seat if you are going to need it at the destination.

You need to let them know you'll have a lap child.
You'll need his birth certificate to verify that he is under 2.
You will not need a "permission slip" unless perhaps there's some custody arrangement or something.
It's a lap child so no you can't just bring on a car seat in hopes there iwll be an empty seat.
If you want a seat then purchase one for the child.
I would suggest gate checking the care seat as regularly checked items often are just tossed around.
Only bring the car seat if you are going to need it at the destination.

Yes, you can bring your car seat to gate check and see if they have available seats open to use. I've done this numerous times with both of my kids. I ask when checking in if the flight is full. If it's not, I then ask again at the gate counter if it's full and my chances of being able to bring the car seat on. Most of the time (~75% of my flights) I've been able to take my car seat on to use. This works for Southwest since they don't assign seats. It never hurts to ask. If the flight is full, then plan on checking the car seat at the gate as you board.

Do we need to advise them of the lap child prior to arriving at the airport? I've been poking around the SWA site and that is not clear to me. It appears we just have to present the birth certificate when we check our luggage, like "checking" the baby too!!! Is this correct?

Do we need to advise them of the lap child prior to arriving at the airport? I've been poking around the SWA site and that is not clear to me. It appears we just have to present the birth certificate when we check our luggage, like "checking" the baby too!!! Is this correct?
yes you have to call them and add the lap child

I flew domestically with my son when he was about the same age without my husband. I did have a birth certificate (which no one looked at) and didn't have anything from DH saying it was okay for my son to travel (no one asked about that).

You not only need to inform the airline that your son is travelling, you actually need a ticket for him. The ticket is free and will specify that your son doesn't get a seat, but you're not going to be able to get through security without it.

Yes, I see the part about getting the age verified boarding document from the ticketing counter. On our return flight with Jet Blue, I did have to call and they attached the baby to Mom for boarding purposes. Wasn't sure if SWA needed to do the same.

No. I have flown southwest many times with lap children, including just last weekend. All you need to do is bring a copy of their birth certificate and take it to full service check in to obtain a non ticketed infant boarding card.

Ok, so no phone call needed? I didn't see any mention of calling on their web site.

To update, I did call SWA. They linked the baby to her mother and I received an email confirmation, that looks just like what you get when you make a reservation, in Pyper's name. We do still have to get the age verified boarding pass at the ticket counter but she is listed on our confirmation number now. FWIW

question... if we have a stroller with a carseat combo,like for infants, is that allowed in a seat,if there is one available? or just the bigger forward facing seats?

We did not purchase him a seat (no bashing)

What do we need to bring besides a birth certificate? He is going with Mom, but not dad. Does Dad need to give some kind of permission? They are not married but both are listed on the birth certificate.

Do we take the car seat to the gate in case there are empty seats? If there are not, would they check the car seat? Or is it too late at that point?

Any other tips?
dumb question he does not turn 24 months while there does he? because if he does you will need to buy him a ticket for trip home.member of family had this happen to them not thinking about before they got to airport on way home

question... if we have a stroller with a carseat combo,like for infants, is that allowed in a seat,if there is one available? or just the bigger forward facing seats?

I'm pretty sure you would need to bring the car seat + base, so long as it's FAA approved. You can't bring a stroller on board with you...it would need to be gate checked.

I'm pretty sure you would need to bring the car seat + base, so long as it's FAA approved. You can't bring a stroller on board with you...it would need to be gate checked.
bucket seats can be used on the plane. You do not use the base. Those are just for ease of taking in and out of the car. So you would have to know how to strap it in without the base

bucket seats can be used on the plane. You do not use the base. Those are just for ease of taking in and out of the car. So you would have to know how to strap it in without the base
Thanks! I'm 100% sure we'll have to gate check strollers anyway...since an airport + kids means we'll need it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter