Flying in from Germany for first trip in 10 years! Any thoughts?

Agree with the pp. If your flight is domestic, the time might work, but might be very tight. If your flight is international, it won't work for the earlier shuttle unless the shuttle is late.
Upgrading a ticket at the booths is easy -- just make sure to do it before the end of your last day. And why not? The price is super reasonable and there is always more to do at DLR!

Okay, so let's say I get the later shuttle...

I might be in the park by 7pm, Disneyland Park is open until 11pm.

What are your pro tips of what I should do?

I'm thinking......
a) Explore SWGE including dinner
b) Stroll around especially in Adventureland and Frontierland with Indy, Splash & BTMRR and dinner @ Rancho del Zocalo
c) Try to see Fantasmic? But I need your help here, don't know how to go about that, especially where to get a spot.
d) Open to other ideas!

What do you think?
GO! :-)

a) Always a good choice! Especially if you can get a later reservation at Oga's -- right now, still available starting 14 days out. We like to book ours for after fireworks. (If there are no fireworks, take photos and shop.) Dinner at Docking Bay 7 or Ronto's -- either are tasty options. Stand by for MFSR can go down to about 30-ish minutes after fireworks.
b)BTMRR during fireworks -- magical! RdZ doesn't stay open late for dinner, so if you choose this option, head for dinner first; then roam around. You can be using MP while you eat.
c) Could you book a dining package for the second show? That way you wouldn't have to worry about finding a good viewing spot. The second show usually isn't as crowded as the first show. If you arrive early to the viewing area, you can watch the fireworks from the ROA -- if fireworks are shown that night. If you watch F!, don't leave the viewing area immediately with everyone else in the horde of humanity. Wait, go slowly -- you can head in the opposite direction for the Critter Country entrance for GE or ride HM or Winnie the Pooh or Splash (have a FP waiting to go), or use the restrooms at HB, etc. Then make your leisurely way back through NOS when the crowds have dispersed.
d) Make PP your last ride of the night. Be in line about 5-10 minutes before closing. Have a snack to enjoy while in line. Listen to the music in FL, watch the carousel lights, relax and soak in the beauty of the castle. Fly away to Neverland, then exit the ride to a closed park. Enjoy Main Street (stays open an hour after park closing), get a drink at Market House (aka Starbucks), and bid goodnight to Walt's lamp over the fire station.

Last edited:
a) Always a good choice! Especially if you can get a later reservation at Oga's -- right now, still available starting 14 days out. We like to book ours for after fireworks. (If there are no fireworks, take photos and shop.) Dinner at Docking Bay 7 or Ronto's -- either are tasty options. Stand by for MFSR can go down to about 30-ish minutes after fireworks.
b)BTMRR during fireworks -- magical! RdZ doesn't stay open late for dinner, so if you choose this option, head for dinner first; then roam around. You can be using MP while you eat.
c) Could you book a dining package for the second show? That way you wouldn't have to worry about finding a good viewing spot. The second show usually isn't as crowded as the first show. If you arrive early to the viewing area, you can watch the fireworks from the ROA -- if fireworks are shown that night. If you watch F!, don't leave the viewing area immediately with everyone else in the horde of humanity. Wait, go slowly -- you can head in the opposite direction for the Critter Country entrance for GE or ride HM or Winnie the Pooh or Splash (have a FP waiting to go), or use the restrooms at HB, etc. Then make your leisurely way back through NOS when the crowds have dispersed.
d) Make PP your last ride of the night. Be in line about 5-10 minutes before closing. Have a snack to enjoy while in line. Listen to the music in FL, watch the carousel lights, relax and soak in the beauty of the castle. Fly away to Neverland, then exit the ride to a closed park. Enjoy Main Street (stays open an hour after park closing), get a drink at Market House (aka Starbucks), and bid goodnight to Walt's lamp over the fire station.

What does ROA stand for?

Dining package for F! - I don't think so, as I don't find the food at Hungry Bear intriguing and I think I might be able to manage to find a spot somewhere else - I just need tips as to where and when to position myself ;-)

Can I somehow upgrad me 3 day park hopper to a 4 day in advance of actually getting there? I'd like to do it online right now instead of having to go to the ticket booth.

What does ROA stand for?

Dining package for F! - I don't think so, as I don't find the food at Hungry Bear intriguing and I think I might be able to manage to find a spot somewhere else - I just need tips as to where and when to position myself ;-)

Can I somehow upgrad me 3 day park hopper to a 4 day in advance of actually getting there? I'd like to do it online right now instead of having to go to the ticket booth.
ROA = Rivers of America, or basically the waterfront viewing area for F!
The HB dining package for F! is the most economical and the most flexible because it allows you to order off the regular menu and the package menu. You will still pay the package price no matter what you order, but you will have more choices between the two menus. And the viewing area is right next to the BB area (which is considerably more expensive). Are you very tall? The F! viewing areas have changed a LOT since the last time you were at DL. The best views are given to the dining package guests and stand by viewing can be hit or miss. As a solo guest, you'll have more flexibility. For your first night, especially since you'll be arriving later, I'd try to do a package just to guarantee good viewing with the most convenience. Then, once you are familiar with the viewing areas, try stand by later in your trip.
You'll be able to upgrade your ticket on your first night. At least one ticket booth stays open an hour past the latest park closing. And lines are usually much shorter late at night. So when you leave the park on your arrival night, just go by the booths, choose the shortest line, and upgrade your ticket then.

Last edited:
What our dear moderator said.

If you're short like me the FastPass/stand by viewing gets you absolutely nowhere.

I've always done the Blue Bayou package even because my friends wanted to. Trying Hungry Bear first time this trip. I'm not too fond of the food either, but I tell myself I pay for the show. ;)

What our dear moderator said.

If you're short like me the FastPass/stand by viewing gets you absolutely nowhere.

I've always done the Blue Bayou package even because my friends wanted to. Trying Hungry Bear first time this trip. I'm not too fond of the food either, but I tell myself I pay for the show. ;)
Another height challenged person here -- stand by can work, but takes luck and pixie dust! (And usually a very helpful CM, too!) We were pleasantly surprised by the HB package in July. The salmon was good -- and I was allowed to order it with the sauce on the side. (The sauce is very sweet.) Many other guests were ordering off the regular menu -- no problems. The F! Dining Package Check In podium is on the far left.

Thanks for your thoughts, guys.
I'm just so excited for Galaxy's Edge, I'm just not sure if I might not want to spend that first evening exploring SWGE, having dinner there, and if I have plenty of time left check out Adventureland and Frontierland.
I'd like to see Fantasmic, but it's not of highest priority. But there's also Fastpass available, just like for WOC, right? So I could just use my Maxpass and get a reservation for F! that way?

... I'd like to see Fantasmic, but it's not of highest priority. But there's also Fastpass available, just like for WOC, right? So I could just use my Maxpass and get a reservation for F! that way?
There are FPs available at the machines by the Mark Twain dock and via MP, but that late in the day, I wouldn't count on any being left. Usually, F! FPs are gone by early afternoon. This is why @Vala and I are recommending a F! Dining Package as a way of guaranteeing a F! FP, no matter how late you arrive at the parks. If your flight, luggage, or shuttle get delayed in any way, you'd still have a FP waiting for you. It's all right if you want to see F! another day, but the Dining Packages do have the best views -- no comparison to the stand by views.

Okay, thanks for explaining!
I'll go leisurely on Friday evening and check out SWGE, maybe I can even get a decent viewing of F!
If not, I can still go for a F! FP for Saturday or Sunday evening.

But the viewing area for F! and WOC is the same for FP holders as for Dinner Package reservations, correct?

Sounds like a great opportunity!

Jetlag will probably be your biggest enemy...
I really had trouble staying awake last summer even though I had a rest day the day after my fight from Germany... I did PP as last ride of my first day at DL (like suggest here...) with about an 40-50 min wait at about 11pm and I fell almost asleep waiting in the queue. I really had trouble keeping my eyes open and even dozed a little during the ride as well. So that didn’t really work out that well for me... I don’t want to scare you but warn you about slow, non thrill rides late at night...

I wouldn’t plan to much for your first evening because immigration can take along time. My record probably was about 2h a couple of years ago... last year it took us an hour if I recall correctly. It really depends how crowded it is... we used the Disneyland express and really enjoyed it. Timing worked great and we waited about 20min (shuttle was about 10min late). ( on prior trips we had to wait for a shuttle to the rental car company and then wait there for an hour to get the car and then fight the traffic... so it was a great to just take the bus...)
We went to DTD in the evening that day for some food and atmosphere and watched the fireworks but went to bed right afterwards because we were pretty exhausted after the long day...

I bought an US SIM card last summer and I am just about to buy a new one for my next trip end of November... I simply bought it via Amazon.de . I don’t know if it is the cheapest solution but for me it was the easiest... payed about 19€ and got 4gb data, which was great because I spend almost 4 weeks in total in the US...

We also did F! last summer with the BB lunch package and really enjoyed not being squished together and being able to sit down... so I would always recommend a dining package because after walking around the parks the whole day being able to sit is worth a lot in my opinion... that being said on another night we were able to watch the second show of F! even without FP at the railing (just next to the mark twain landing dock) we were quite lucky that not that many wanted to wach that particular show that night...but I wouldn’t count on being lucky again. It was a nice bonus nevertheless...

But the viewing area for F! and WOC is the same for FP holders as for Dinner Package reservations, correct?

Not for F!, Dining Packages have reserved areas there which differ from the ones for FP. I haven't done WOC in a long time and last time was with dessert party, so I am the wrong person to ask there. But there's overviews of the viewing areas in the first posts of both Superthreads.

... But the viewing area for F! and WOC is the same for FP holders as for Dinner Package reservations, correct?
No, not by a long shot. For F!, the best viewing areas, up front by the water, the most centered view, are reserved for the dining package guests only. No free FP guests. There is a small section of free FP viewing area by the water to the far right -- but to get into that section, you have to be some of the first guests lined up for that section and sometimes that section is made to stand during the show to squeeze more people into the area. Dining package guests sit on the ground through the show -- which means that no one can stand in front of you, no shoulder kids, no one walking in front of you, etc. Dining package viewing is prime viewing. Other free FP viewing and stand by viewing are in back of the dining package area -- standing only, so you have to be in the front rows to see the show. The bridge over POTC is stand by viewing -- people wait for several hours to get the front row there.
For WOC, the entire viewing area is FP only (free, dining package, and Dessert Party). All areas have access to great viewing and all areas have a risk of poor views. With a free FP, invest at least 90 minutes to get a great view and it will pay off. Study the first post in the World of Color Superthread -- great info there!

Guys,

thanks so much for all your input over the past few weeks.
My trip is coming up this Friday and I couldn't be more excited - so I wanted to revive this thread and ask your opinions for touring plans.
- I have Friday evening, Saturday, Sunday and Monday till afternoon.
- I have park hopper tickets along with MaxPass.
- I'm not the biggest fan of parades - not worth waiting in certain spot for long times for me. The evening shows, however, I DO want to see!

Do you have recommendations for how I should tour each park on Saturday/Sunday?
When I enter the park, what should I do first? Which attractions, MaxPass, etc?
I will be rope dropping every day (thanks to jet lag), probably get a coffee before the park - then get in a ride or two before eating breakfast. Breakfast and general food recommendations are also highly appreciated ;-)

Looking forward to your tips!

Will you be using your MM? If so, start at DL on Saturday. You can start using MP as soon as you enter DL on Saturday with MM (an hour before park opening!), but your return times won't start until after park opening. Use your MM to ride the FL rides that don't have FP and the TL rides that have short lines. PP will be your call depending on the line situation that day -- short line? Do it! Long line? Wait until later when you have the time to spare, i.e. don't waste your MM on just that one ride. Red Rose Tavern in FL has good CS breakfast. Check the menu online or on the app to see if anything there looks good to you.

Will you be using your MM? If so, start at DL on Saturday. You can start using MP as soon as you enter DL on Saturday with MM (an hour before park opening!), but your return times won't start until after park opening. Use your MM to ride the FL rides that don't have FP and the TL rides that have short lines. PP will be your call depending on the line situation that day -- short line? Do it! Long line? Wait until later when you have the time to spare, i.e. don't waste your MM on just that one ride. Red Rose Tavern in FL has good CS breakfast. Check the menu online or on the app to see if anything there looks good to you.
Thanks so much!
Yes, I'll be doing MM on Saturday.
So I enter the park, get MP for the first attraction right away and ride a few FL Dark Rides + TL rides.
Then at park opening, I'll do the first MP ride and get the next MP ride, right?
Then breakfast :-)

After that just head over to SWGE (huge fan!), or how would you suggest to incorporate it into the plan?

Thanks so much!
Yes, I'll be doing MM on Saturday.
So I enter the park, get MP for the first attraction right away and ride a few FL Dark Rides + TL rides.
Then at park opening, I'll do the first MP ride and get the next MP ride, right?
Then breakfast :-)

After that just head over to SWGE (huge fan!), or how would you suggest to incorporate it into the plan?
Yes to your MP plan. Most people here are recommending to wait on SWGE. Take as much advantage as possible of low crowds and low wait times in FL and TL during MM, then when the park opens, keep taking advantage of the low wait times in AL, Frontierland, and NOS. SWGE seems to be most crowded first thing in the morning and earlier in the day. The crowds slow down and even out during the rest of the day into the evening. Keep watching the app for wait times for MFSR. (You can be doing this now to get a feel for how the times fluctuate during the day.)

Yes to your MP plan. Most people here are recommending to wait on SWGE. Take as much advantage as possible of low crowds and low wait times in FL and TL during MM, then when the park opens, keep taking advantage of the low wait times in AL, Frontierland, and NOS. SWGE seems to be most crowded first thing in the morning and earlier in the day. The crowds slow down and even out during the rest of the day into the evening. Keep watching the app for wait times for MFSR. (You can be doing this now to get a feel for how the times fluctuate during the day.)
That's great, thanks! I'll stick exactly to this.
I'll probably also get to see SWGE the evening before (or do you have other recommendations for 3-4 hours on Friday evening?) and I have a reservation for Oga's @ 8:35 PM on Saturday.

Soo, do you also have a similar game plan for DCA?

One idea for Friday: you might want to try to catch the second run of MSEP (even though parades aren't your favorite, this one is so sentimental and charming -- and to see it in its original home on its original parade route!). The parade will run from Town Square to IASW, so you could just casually look for a good spot, even in the second row somewhere behind a stroller or trash can, anywhere along the route. Then, if you can, make PP your last ride of the night before park closing. There is something very special about going through the line while watching the lights of FL and listening to the music of the carousel, then flying off to Neverland, and exiting to a closed park. Main Street will stay open an hour after closing, so take your time saying goodnight to Walt's park! (And this would take care of your MM, too, because you wouldn't have to worry about trying to fit in PP then.) And you'll like SWGE at night -- it's beautiful then -- maybe try to watch fireworks from the MF? There's no music, but the fireworks are huge and beautiful from back there! And enjoy a Ronto Wrap -- best "hot dog" in the park!

For GOTG, the regular ride (MB) runs from opening until 5 pm (I think), at which point the ride turns into the Halloween version MAD. FPs for MAD start being given at 3 pm (I think) and disappear quickly, so be ready to grab one! And keep looking for cancelled FPs, too.
The other Halloween rides run the same all day, so you don't need to worry about changeover times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts