Flying and WDW with a baby - FIRST TIME! Please help!

How old is she/he? When my son was very small, I found a baby carrier like a Baby Bjorn helpful. You can't have him in it during take off or landing, but it was super handy getting through airports and for having my hands free on the flight.

How old is she/he? When my son was very small, I found a baby carrier like a Baby Bjorn helpful. You can't have him in it during take off or landing, but it was super handy getting through airports and for having my hands free on the flight.
Thank you! He will be turning one on our trip!

Buy a seat and bring his car seat (or an FAA approved one if his is not). First, this is the safest way to travel. Please watch videos of babies flying through the cabin or becoming airbags between parent and the seat in front of them in turbulence. Your child’s safety is not the time to cut cost corners. Second, it will evoke “car” rules of staying in his seat and give him a sense of security and comfort, rather than wanting to run up and down aisles if he’s walking by then, or climbing all over you if he’s at that standing/jumping on you stage. Advil about a half hour before takeoff works great for ear pain. Bring some brand-new toys to hold their attention. And snacks. Lots and lots of snacks!

That's helpful. Bring bottles and twice as many snacks as you think you'll need. If you think he's big enough, small fruit chews snacks can really help with their ears before they can chew gum. Ziploc bags are handy for any wet clothes, messes. One of those no spill snack containers is a good idea. And for fun, we had great luck with Water Wow paint with water pads by Melissa and Doug. Hope this helps and you enjoy your trip!

Taking my one year old in December for our third trip this year we also took him for his first birthday in May our flight from New Jersey is under three hours and we try to fly out around the same time he normally naps so he sleeps through most of the flight. We were nervous our first trip now it’s no big deal we can’t wait to go back!

Bring a change of clothes for yourself as well as the child in your carryon bag. If the child gets sick on you or has a leaky diaper on your lap, you do not want to have to wear that all the way to your destination.

Pack your bag of tricks! (Extra clothes, snacks, drinks,blanket, diapers wipes, toys and entertainment). If traveling with a stroller, check it at the counter at the gate. Not sure, if your baby is walking yet. But, one thing that has helped ( by watching our daughter/son-in-law with our grandchildren) is to let the children run off tons of energy in an empty gate at the airport chasing a balloon prior to take off. This way they are exhausted once on the plane. They usually don't board until the end(instead of first on the plane with young children). It was too much extra anxiety waiting to take off. Hope this helps. Most children do very well, unless they have congestion and get ear pain. For older children, there are "earplanes" that help with the discomfort. Sucking on a bottle or sippy straw or swallowing during take off and landing aid with the ear popping issue. Best wishes. Have a great trip!

I second buying him a seat and bringing car seat. Should be a law.

Once there, don't try to do it all. Keep nap time as much as you can...wake up, breakfast, park, lunch, nap, return to park, dinner, bedtime. You may spend more time than you wish going back and forth but that's better than a toddler in meltdown.

He may be leery of the characters at first and the constant noise and people may unsettle him. Be prepared to find a quiet spot for a few minutes as needed.

Have fun!

Buy a seat and bring his car seat (or an FAA approved one if his is not).

Yep!

Our plane trip when our son was just under 2 was so miserable bc we did the lap baby thing. He’s always been tall and strong, and I’m short, and just the 4 hour flight killed my arms for a week.

Another fan of purchasing a seat and bringing your car seat. We did this when DD was 18 months, and totally worth it. It also had the advantage of being something familiar for her. She was already used to sleeping in it for long car rides, so helped for nap time (it is over 6 hours to fly to Florida for us). We also had some new and interesting toys, as well as well loved familiar items.

I did all my packing for DD in zip lock bags. O e full outfit per bag. Made it easy to pull a few out each day and throw in the diaper bag. Plus you had the bag for wet and soiled clothes. And I found it useful to have at least two changes of clothes with us. (We found many so,ash pads to cool off in)

My DD flew for the first time at 2yrs old. She had her own small backpack. I had bought different small toys, markers that only show on paper (so no marking on the plane), & of course her favorite stuffed animals. I didn’t let her see any of the new stuff until we were on the plane, so it was a surprise & only took 1 thing out at a time when she got bored. Also I made sure she understand her baby (toy) had to go thru the scanner before we went to the airport so she wouldn’t have a melt down. It all went well. Oh & snacks, bring snacks. Have a fun trip and good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter