Flying alone with 2 year old

Jonell35

Earning My Ears
I’ll be flying solo for the first time with my 2 year old in August and United seems to have the best rates for my trip. The lowest fares are basic economy fares (obv) and I understand you don’t get to choose your seats with these fares. I don’t have a preference for where we are seated my main question is will United split our seats? We typically fly JetBlue or Delta so I want to be sure before I book anything. We won’t have any luggage as my parents are driving down and meeting us with our luggage so I’m not worried about those fees.

Did you buy seats for both of you? If you haven't yet, there is a warning that pops up that you won't get a seat assignment until you are at the airport. Those bottom of the barrel fares are used to fill any odd empty seats. Not something to purchase if you have to sit next to your travel partner.

They likely will split you up. That is why the fares are cheaper than the other fares. They are intended for people who don’t need or care if they are next to a travel companion.

It’s not that you don’t get a choice of seats it’s that you don’t get a seat assignment until other people have chosen their seats, you don’t have a choice in the assignment and you are used to fill in the empty seats.

Yes, they will split you up and you can't (and shouldn't) rely on someone else to switch seats with you. You'll need to find something else

Thanks. I wouldn’t rely on anyone to do anything for me. I don’t think I stated that in my post just looking for clarification.

Did you buy seats for both of you? If you haven't yet, there is a warning that pops up that you won't get a seat assignment until you are at the airport. Those bottom of the barrel fares are used to fill any odd empty seats. Not something to purchase if you have to sit next to your travel partner.

I haven’t purchased yet. 😅 Still weighing my options, will likely stick with JetBlue since that is the airline I’m familiar with.

Thanks. I wouldn’t rely on anyone to do anything for me. I don’t think I stated that in my post just looking for clarification.
Yeah, we know you didn't :). That poster was just being proactive. Typically in threads like this, the parents don't want to pay whatever charge to keep the seats together - then insist the airline won't separate them from their infant/3/6/12/17/35/72 year old.

With most United basic economy flights you can pay to have seat assignments in advance. Even with paying for seats it can still work out cheaper so you’ll have to price it out and compare.

I like to think of it as not being able to take advantage of a discounted fare rather than being charged more for seats together. When I fly with my kids I pay the fare that allows us to choose seats (or use EBCI on SWA) when I fly alone I also pay to choose the seat I prefer - my choice.

When my adult dd books she does take advantage of the discounted fare as she really doesn't care at all where she sits and saving $ is more important to her at this point in her life.

In your case I would look at all your options and then add in the extras that you need/want before making a decision on price alone. Some have seat assignment fees (as you know) preferred seating fees, checked bag fees and some even carry on fees ...…
so it helps to read and then calculate your actual fare before making a decision.

I played around with booking a flight on United from my home airport to see what the difference in cost was between basic economy and economy. It was a range of 46-54 dollars a person. Even if luggage is not needed because it is being transported by other family at the very least with a toddler a small carry on bag is going to be needed in order to carry a change of clothing at minimum. Even if a 2 year old is potty trained as a parent I would not trust that I am going to be able to guarantee that I can get my child to a toilet when told I gotta go potty mommy. Flying there could be any number of reasons from seat belt sign on during turbulence to snack and beverage service to a line at the bathroom when the seat belt sign finally is turned off.
When my family and I flew the last time it was just under a 5 hour flight that between take off, getting to cruising altitude, turbulence (twice) and preparing for landing there was 2 times of 20-30 minutes for anyone who wanted to use the restroom to do so. Even though we had used the facilities at the airport prior to boarding we all were in desperate need of them at MCO when we landed especially the preschool to early grade school members of our party and the toddler who was not potty trained was in desperate need of a changing. Had the toddler been potty trained in that situation there would have been high chances of an accident as it was hard enough for the older ones to hold it.
Yes basic economy is going to save you money but in my opinion unless you are traveling with older children (12-14 at youngest ages) or adults who can safely handle themselves in a situation and not need assistance I would spend the little bit extra to fly regular economy.

Yes, they will split you up and you can't (and shouldn't) rely on someone else to switch seats with you. You'll need to find something else

I never fly United but we frequently buy the cheap rate tickets with no seat assignment from Delta and they always made sure our kids are seated next to us. I usually call the night before. We've never had an issue but I cant speak for United.

We ultimately booked Delta with Comfort +.

That will be nice for a little wiggle room. The only time our 2 year old has issues on the plane is when he wants to move around and he cant (take off/turbulence/landing). We successfully did the 5 hour flight to LA from ATL with him last month. But I was stressed about it for 2 months prior to the flight.

Researching and trying to make sure I understand before purchasing tickets from Dallas to Hawaii. Trip would be me, my parents, my daughter, my granddaughter (2), and my grandson (1 & potentially a lap baby).

I found this on the AA website.1553BC72-32B4-4940-8E92-111B5F3F92D0.png

Researching and trying to make sure I understand before purchasing tickets from Dallas to Hawaii. Trip would be me, my parents, my daughter, my granddaughter (2), and my grandson (1 & potentially a lap baby).

I found this on the AA website.View attachment 417588

I would never rely on that.

If I want to sit next to my kid on an airline that generally does seat assignments, I don’t buy the tickets with seats that don’t get assigned until later. Period. There is no guarantee that there will be such seating available. And if they have to move someone- someone who chose their seat in advance for who knows what reason- then that’s not cool.

I found this on the AA website.View attachment 417588

Was that on a google search OR officially on the American site. It shows google at search bar. If Google search I wouldn’t rely on either unless officially on AA website.

They can’t magically make seats appear together if everyone else is responsible and pays for their seats and there are only middle ones left.

Last edited:
Thought I was on official AA site, so I double-checked. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/experience/seats/basic-economy.jsp

Does seem like a hard thing for them to be able to pull off.

Basic Economy will NOT get you seats together and they can’t guarantee. When you purchase basic economy you agree to the terms and conditions that say seats assigned at check in. They can’t/won’t guarantee you will be seated together. Families with children have been separated on flights (been posted here).

Please if you want be seated together pay for seats! Then monitor to make sure no airplane change. That is only way to make sure you are together- don’t rely on someone saying they won’t separate you or someone will move for you!

Enjoy your trip!

The OP has an option of getting 2 contiguous seats guaranteed without an additional charge. This is because with a child that young, she has the option of using her carseat on board.

FAA regulations mandate that a ticketed child in a carseat MUST be seated next to one accompanying adult, and in a legal seat position (usually a window seat, & there are some rows where carseats cannot go). This is per emergency evac rules; you cannot have a child restrained in a carseat without his/her adult seated next to it, because the child cannot free himself from the carseat in the event of an emergency evacuation.

It doesn't matter if the airline wants to charge to guarantee it; they can't require you to pay to get it. Use of an aircraft-certified carseat must be allowed at no extra charge if the child has a paid ticket, if there are any no-charge seat options sold on the flight at all. For courtesy and to makes life easier for everyone involved, it is only polite to call after buying to get the seats flagged, but if the seats are not together on day of flight, the FA will make it happen somehow. (This is one of the very few situations that empowers an FA to force someone to switch seats, though they will always try to solicit a volunteer before resorting to that.) In practice, this safety rule normally requires that you put the child in the window position and the adult in the middle seat.

Note that this only works if the carseat is used in flight; you can't just call ahead and say that you will be using one, and then show up without it; the airline has every right to yank the better seat assignment out from under you if you tried that. In addition, note that this only applies to aircraft-certified carseats with a 5-point harness in use. (Certified seats have a sticker on the side or back of the outer shell that notes certification for aircraft use.; details of the wording can be found in the linked regulation below.)

The rule only applies on US-based carriers; it is Federal law.
The code section is 14 CFR 121.311 (https://gov.ecfr.io/cgi-bin/text-id...true&node=pt14.3.121&rgn=div5#se14.3.121_1311)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter